Knightmare Convention

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Convention

Post by Mystara »

dugeoneerborne wrote: I really hope we reach this, why aren't more of the km community getting involved?.
A good question and something I genuinely don't understand.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Except that not supporting a KM convention will have a knock-on effect to anything else Knightmare related.

If the KM convention flops, it will suggest to media companies that there's simply no interest in Knightmare any longer.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I notice that a press release is ready for distribution - fingers crossed!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
malibupete
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by malibupete »

Mystara wrote:If the KM convention flops, it will suggest to media companies that there's simply no interest in Knightmare any longer.
This argument keeps being made, but wouldn't the many hundred thousand Youtube views, Challenge viewing figures and general reaction to last year's events be a much bigger indicator in the opposite direction?

It'll be an absolutely massive shame if this convention doesn't go ahead, but I feel like it's a little disingenuous to tie the show's future (or otherwise) in so completely with how well the convention does...
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

malibupete wrote:
Mystara wrote:If the KM convention flops, it will suggest to media companies that there's simply no interest in Knightmare any longer.
This argument keeps being made, but wouldn't the many hundred thousand Youtube views, Challenge viewing figures and general reaction to last year's events be a much bigger indicator in the opposite direction?

It'll be an absolutely massive shame if this convention doesn't go ahead, but I feel like it's a little disingenuous to tie the show's future (or otherwise) in so completely with how well the convention does...
I totally agree. The future of Knightmare will not depend entirely on the convention.
HobGoblin wrote:I notice that a press release is ready for distribution - fingers crossed!
Where would we see this?
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

pjmlfc05 wrote:I totally agree. The future of Knightmare will not depend entirely on the convention.
This is true, I don't think KM has the popularity or the authority, and a bit of a relic from the past with fans far and few between to pull this off.

With the successes of youtube ep, the live show, book and challenge tv I think that's a bigger indications of interest and reaches far more people. I know loads of KM fans who sadly aren't interested in conventions of any kind. They're not for everyone, possibly because a convention requires time, something most people have little to spare.

dugeoneerborne wrote:I've simplified it and it should look a lot better now,
That's better, still might be a bit wordy, but I give you lots of credit for putting it together at short notice and making a huge effort.. hopefully you're hard work pays off and it boots awareness. :)
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

malibupete wrote:
No.
I can't go into details for confidentiality reasons. Not to mention that any attempt I make to publicly explain my statement would work against Knightmare.

However, I am telling you that the success of this convention is being watched and will influence the chance of Knightmare returning as Chris Ballard points out.

Even disregarding THAT, I don't feel your arguments hold much water. The campaign perks include a DVD of the best bits of the convention (meaning you don't have to attend the convention in order to support it), and tshirts. No need for attending the convention or travel or anything.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Alan wrote:
Martin wrote: I really hope we reach this, why aren't more of the km community getting involved?.
A good question and something I genuinely don't understand.
I feel as if I'm missing something by not knowing the answer either. My sense is that a lot of people, not just Knightmarians but in most circles and walks of life these days, want something for nothing. Challenge shows Series 1 and 2, people clamour for Series 3. People chuck out tweets about how Knightmare 'should be on DVD' but don't look into how they might be able to help it happen. The figures I keep coming back to are number of Knightmare Facebook likes versus number of pounds the Indiegogo campaign needs to raise. If every liker pledged £1 then it would be a done deal. But that surely won't happen. I remember my disappointment at realising that people who type 'lol' aren't actually laughing out loud. Similarly, clicking Like on Facebook is scarcely more meaningful than a nervous twitch these days.

My view is that Knightmare's internet presence, from Knightmare.com outwards, owes almost everything to a conscientious minority that persists in spite of a quiet majority.

Maybe that is too outspoken, but if I can't be candid about Knightmare fandom here then where can I? :)

More positively, one watcher to another, I am grateful to every person who has been willing and able to contribute to the Indiegogo campaign. I hope that Knightmare will continue to repay you.

Finally, to reiterate Chris' Knightmare Needs You article and Alan's points in my own words:

If you are a Knightmare fan then regardless (Treguardless?) of whether a Knightmare convention is something you want, you must have dreams for Knightmare, be they repeats, official releases or a new series. If the convention doesn't get the required funding and doesn't happen, please know that the likelihood of any of those dreams ever coming true is very drastically reduced. Critical Life Force damage, if you like.

So please, blow the horn of Jericho at any psychological barriers you may have up and continue to support the convention campaign with as much time and money as you can reasonably devote - and please encourage others to do the same before it's too late. Thank you.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Nothing from bbc radio one, anglia news or look east...
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Today, a friend of mine (who works in the media) remarked:
"I cannot believe that so many Knightmare fans cannot raise such a tiny amount of money".

THAT is the perception that we are giving to people who work in media. Now my friend isn't in charge of programme purchasing, but that was her professional opinion that presumably reflects the opinion of her company/bosses who DO purchase programmes.

It is disconcerting to say the least.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Drassil wrote:The figures I keep coming back to are number of Knightmare Facebook likes versus number of pounds the Indiegogo campaign needs to raise. If every liker pledged £1 then it would be a done deal. Life Force damage, if you like.
That would be wishful thinking sadly. I hear your frustration but this there are genuine reasons as highlighted by Wombstar as to why people haven't pledged. I'd still say that £12 k was a lot to ask for in the amount of time given. Yes other campaigns have asked for more and have been successful but what are the reasons for this? Timing? More notice given that a campaign will take place? Maybe people had the money to pledge at the time? Maybe the person doing the campaign had the right contacts or knew people who could provide influence?

If it happened to be June then chances are I would be able to make a donation as I would have more money (even though it would be unlikely I could attend).

Has anyone spoke to Tim Child to see if he could help to spread the word? Maybe he has contacts that could help the cause. At the same time I do appreciate that at the end of the day, we need people to pledge.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:Today, a friend of mine (who works in the media) remarked:
"I cannot believe that so many Knightmare fans cannot raise such a tiny amount of money".

THAT is the perception that we are giving to people who work in media. Now my friend isn't in charge of programme purchasing, but that was her professional opinion that presumably reflects the opinion of her company/bosses who DO purchase programmes.

It is disconcerting to say the least.
If anything I thought that if there was a future for Knightmare it would be based on the geek week episode? I just can't see how a convention would be a gauge for tv companies if they think a show could be made or brought back.

Surely a better gauge would be the geek week episode of the re-runs of the 1st 2 series?

Just to be clear, I am not doubting your friend.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Not interested in a convention? Can't travel? No problem, there are DVDs, tshirts and programmes available.
No money? Well, even if everyone put in £1, we'd be funded by now.
I'd still say that £12 k was a lot to ask for in the amount of time given.
It's really not. As Drassil points out, we can reach all of our 15k Facebook fans and more in a single post. All it would take is £1 each. Heck, I'm amazed we can't even find a mere 700 people who want to play the dungeon out of fan base of 15,000.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

pjmlfc05 wrote:If anything I thought that if there was a future for Knightmare it would be based on the geek week episode? I just can't see how a convention would be a gauge for tv companies if they think a show could be made or brought back.
But YouTube views are fakable, influenced by search engines, affected by repeat views, don't represent how long someone viewed the video for.

Something like the convention is far more indicative of how strong the fan base is.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

12k isn't a huge amount, it's quite a small amount compared to others I have seen online it's quite reasonable (although I live on less than that a year)

Might be worth making those on facebook aware of the just £1 donation idea. it might be a good angle to promote for the next few days. "just £1 from everyone..."

Maybe the idea of KM-con was very optimistic, every fan base only has a handful which will be convention material, Km already starts with a small community.
I'm also amazed anyone in the media would use this as a guide. Usually a con is determined by the success of show/brand not the other way round. Km has had plenty of highs over the last 12 months. Still, you never know what's around the corner.

Regarding the room.
I'm just asking out of curiosity, could you not offer a choice of room to play than just one room for all?
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in