Knightmare DVD Petition

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare DVD Petition

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Yeh, I think Tim Child said that it was the advent of DVD that had given the idea to Granada that a release might be feasible.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It is still the case that some don't have DVD players, it does no harm to try for both formats, at least then it would be representing all of the community.  Would be interesting to see who does have both VCR and DVD player.

And certainly the DVD advent has gotten Granada interested, it sounds kinda positive that we will get on evetually...I mean they released Joe 90 on VHS AND DVD, and I hardly know what that is.

It is never a bad thing to try, otherwise why would we have tried to get KM back on TV?  People said that was impossible, too.....
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

possibly granada will decide of their own accord to release Knightmare on both formats -_^ who knows. sigs are getting better now ;D
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by RoxxAatherton »

You can get so much more stuff on a DVD though and they take up less room!

I think the VHS/DVD debate has been done to death on another thread, but with the price of DVD players coming down and the majority of people owning one (we have 5 in our house) its much more likely they'll be a DVD release, anyway, video quality is, well a bit pants really...

YAY! Illusions got his PVA glue out and sticky stickied everywhere! hehe

;D
Foxxy Roxxy
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I've seen DVD players available for less than £50 recently - so it's really coming down in price.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Yep, they're definitely getting cheaper, and as time goes on more and more new computers are being fitted with them too.

The petition is today 2nd in the Popular Petitions list.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by PhoenixFlame »

That is good news indeed! ;D
Rising from the ashes once again....
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Once again, my point in being ignored.

I am NOT debating whether VHS is better than DVD, I am stating not every household has a DVD player, and there is still a large enough market for VHS.

I have no real interest in the VHS side of it, as I have 2 machines which can play DVD's, I am speaking for the people who would prefer the VHS.

They should not have to pay £50+ for machinery just because some other people don't care about what others in the community may want.

How many times have I seen the 'closely knit community' phrase mentioned?  If it is then VHS should be included in some form of petition, because there are members of the community whom would like it on VHS all the same.

Geez, that was not meant to be a debate about how bad VHS is compared with DVD, it was just a post about equaling things out.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

They wouldn't get DVD players just to watch Knightmare on DVD they would get it to watch other things also.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

The core of my post has been ignored yet again.  Also, Mem200, it is based on an assumption that these people will buy a DVD player AT ALL, let alone for other things than Knightmare.

I do not understand this hatred for people who want it on VHS, community 'togetherness' doesn't seem to be there.
Aldude
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldude »

what hatred?  There isn't a hatred for people who want it on VHS - the way i see it, is that VHS is gradually fading out, and the new market is now DVDs.  also, VHS tapes are only designed for 20 playbacks, and therefore not exactly timeless.  besides - I bought a DVD player purely to watch my Red Dwarf DVD.  then obviously, i bought other DVDs.  but there isn't a hatred for VHS - it's just not as popular as would be on DVD
Sidestep to the left....
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Here's what Tim Child said about things a few months back:

"Whilst VHS was the common form of video release, issuing an official version of the KM made programs was not considered economically feasible. Now that DVD is in full flood as a format, this has changed, because a DVD release can take place on a much smaller volume market. Granada Media (Anglia owners) are now genuinely interested in doing a DVD release combining all the KM made programmes + extras. However they're still cautious as to how big the market is, and worse still they are concerned that much of the needs of that market have been already met by illegal tape copying [...] "

From that, it seems that Granada are specifically interested in DVD. It sounds like they've discounted the VHS idea entirely- and several of us have tried repeatedly to convince them of the VHS idea in the past and failed.  Obviously we might question whether they are right to do so, but surely it seems a good idea to focus on what- from what we know- has a chance of success.

In addition, it does make sense to have a DVD petition separate from any VHS petition. From the above, we can assume that the threshold for a feasible VHS release is considered much higher than that for a feasible DVD release. If we had said "VHS and/or DVD" on the petition, what are they to make of the figures? If, as they seem to strongly believe, the figure did not indicate sufficient interest for a VHS release, but enough for a DVD release, then we may have achieved nothing. For they could say, "Well, there's enough good omens here for a DVD release, but possibly a great number of them really wanted it on VHS; we just don't know for sure which of these people are interested specifically in DVD, so we can't really take much notice of the figures". Okay, the specific wording may come into play, but a specific petition about DVD circumvents the problem.

Of course, therefore, there's nothing to stop anyone doing a VHS specific petition. If they got a massive number of signatures they might show Granada that they should be interested in VHS. Realistically, I think the current tactic is likely to be more productive. I for one would rather concentrate on something that we have strong reason to believe Granada are interested in.

Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 19 Jun 2003, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

There was a time when no TV companies wanted KM...Didn't give up then.

I will speak to those who would like a VHS release, and maybe it will have a chance, but no point in giving up so soon.

DVD does have a far better chance, but the case is poor old VHS should have a little chance, at least.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

wow, and i thought i had some quality rage going on.

kieren, i respect your opinion and your arguements have been impressed upon me on more than one occasion. i wish you to know that before you read this...

i hear you talk about community togetherness more than anyone else, yet in the same post it always seems to be critisising members of the community.

we'll take emii's recent thing with janus. now janus may have taken it badly or not but with you saying "why cant we give her a nice welcome?" it made it sound like the rest of us weren't when infact our only fault may have  been that we were being "over friendly". i considered saying this back then but bit my tounge for the sake on "community togetherness". im not saying janus wouldn't have taken it badly if you'ld not said that, but after you had we'll never know.

now let me get this straight, the "core" of your post is that some people would like it on VHS aswell. correct? here's my "core" response.

a) the number of people without DVD compared to those with some form of DVD has got to be quite small by now. wether it be PC, DVDplayer, PS2...most people have access to DVD caperble machine (you yourself have two for goodness sake)
b) DVD is much cheaper to produce than VHS allowing, as pointed out by Tim Child (thank you GG), for a feaseble release in the companies eyes.
c) us knowing that granada are specificly interested in a DVD release have started a petition soley for DVD to show granada the interest from us in a product they are interested in producing.

it would be detrimental to the dvd petition to lumber it in with vhs aswell as granada wouldn't have such a clear picture.

now, those are the arguements against vhs petition right now. the only one i've seen you put forth in favour is that "vhs deserves a chance". I have actually said nothing new there. im just trying to show you how we are not ignoring your core arguement at all. if anything you are ignoring ours.

night night all, got exam tomorrow ???
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
grumphicks
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by grumphicks »

It would be shame if it didn't come out on vhs but I think it's probably best focusing efforts on the most viable release option.

On a side note I've noticed that the petition has been noticed by those fine people on the NOTBBC forums so that should hopefully get a few more names on there.
We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who go Neeeow wum.... ping!