Knightmare on DVD

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Re: Knightmare on DVD

Post by Pickle123 »

I'm glad i get pity by at least one member here. I was basicly resigned to not seeing knightmare until a DVD was released due to not having challenge...then abracadabra they're available it's honestly too much to resist. that doesn't detract AT ALL from my want of ALL series on DVD. there are countless, easily added extras (chromakey experiment) that could be done but the main thing is just the episodes themselves. with these out there would be no more "poor peeps without challenge"

and on the subject of the petition ( i think a "these people will certainly buy it" was the intention), it certainly couldn't hurt and who knows how impressive the numbers could get. if anyone knows how to make a proper one online then we have 250 member here for a start :)

ow...and here's an enticing thing to add to it. if we include our e-mail addies then the producer of the dvd could simply mail us tp notify us of DVD release and since any advertising would probably be minimal its a cheap way for them to practicly ensure sales
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Carry on putting the stuff on the net, Granada will just say 'forget it' to the DVD effort, and we won't get any releases and we won't get any extra etc.
I agree. People can say "I'd buy it even if I've got downloaded/copied episodes", but I can definitely see why Granada might take a different view.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

ok, well im glad everyone with challenge gets to enjoy knightmare before an official DVD release while everyone else doesnt.

the fact they you're ALL taping the episodes has just as much an effect on the DVD market as them being online infact more so since illegal tape trading is the reason they haven't been reeased before now. but if we can't all be tarred with the same brush i suggest consulting leggy as too either removing them or keeping the advertising Quiet in future.

GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

ok, well im glad everyone with challenge gets to enjoy knightmare before an official DVD release while everyone else doesnt.

the fact they you're ALL taping the episodes has just as much an effect on the DVD market as them being online infact more so since illegal tape trading is the reason they haven't been reeased before now. but if we can't all be tarred with the same brush i suggest consulting leggy as too either removing them or keeping the advertising Quiet in future.
Oh yes, Challenge? showing the episodes definitely may have some negative effect on the amount of people who'd want to buy a DVD. However, while I sympathise with this line of argument- I for one have thought long and hard about whether getting Challenge? to show it is good with respect to the chances of long term distribution- I maintain that there are subtle differences between this and the piracy example:

The first is that the showings on Challenge? may directly inform Granada of the show's popularity among viewers, not just among hard-core "fans". Even if they don't know the exact figures, the fact that a fairly major satellite channel chooses to put it on in a primish slot may say more with respect to a potential market than our "We'd all buy a DVD" pleas. The quiet behind the scenes trading just doesn't give such a direct indication of the potential market.  

Secondly, with respect to Challenge?, it's less of a zero-sum game. With them showing it, more people are tuning in and getting interested in the show than would otherwise be the case. People who'd forgotten about its existence are now interested again, a lot of them have visited this website, and several of them are now actively campaigning for a DVD release. So although the Challenge? showings may indeed satiate some people's desire, it creates or discovers a greater market than would otherwise be possible. That's not really the case with the unofficial copies/downloads- most people who find and use those were interested beforehand.

Although I'm not suggesting this is exactly what you mean or intend, I'd like to say something about the possible "Well, it's okay for people who get Challenge?, to criticise the illegal copies, isn't it?" argument. While there may be some hypocrites out there, most if not all of the people here who are arguing against the illegal copies have worked extremely hard to get this programme shown on any legal format, whether they have access to it or not. Even those of us who get Challenge? have spent a great deal of time trying to get a DVD release that anyone with the appropriate equipment could enjoy, or for FTN- a free to air channel- to show it. I'm sure we'll continue to do so, too.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

On that note, I can tell all ye who don't know, that there is a campaign on Ftn's forum (started by yours truly - ovation, please!) for them to show Km.

http://www.ftn.tv/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisp ... DaysPrune=

The Km thread has dropped down a bit, I'm afraid. Y'all know what to do!  :)
Subject to change.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

but those who dl can equally contribute to DVD campaigning efforts.

anyway, here is how i stand...i realise one person is totally immaterial but this is how i shall act.

I shall be as helpful as possible in securing a DVD release...just ask and it shall be done.
however, while DL is available i shall not deny myself the pleaseure of knightmare
This makes no difference to how much i want the DVD.

edit - just signed up for Ftn and submitted my KM support :)
Last edited by Pickle123 on 11 Jun 2003, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by RoxxAatherton »

I've just thought up another reason as to why a km DVD needs to be brought out.

If a Km DVD was brought out, those people with laptops that play DVD's could then watch it anywhere, in the garden, on the loo etc etc

Well in would make going to the loo a lot more fun!

;D
Foxxy Roxxy
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

we'll be sure to inform granada media of the thousands of bored toilet goers that *need* this DVD ;D

Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Nice one, Pickle!

Now all we need to do is to drag this topic out of the realm of the toilet!  :D
Subject to change.
RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by RoxxAatherton »

Look it was just another idea that i came up with, i am rather prone to thinking up mad ideas.

And there are peeps that watch DVD's on the loo trust me

Have A nice day! ;D
Foxxy Roxxy
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Heh, send Granada Media "1001 Reasons Why You Should Do a DVD Release".

No. 372:
If a Km DVD was brought out, those people with laptops that play DVD's could then watch it anywhere, in the garden, on the loo etc etc

Well i[t] would make going to the loo a lot more fun!

;D
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

And there are peeps that watch DVD's on the loo trust me
Hmm, but would Granada believe us? Perhaps we should start another petition to prove it to them. ;)
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

There was a Knightmare on DVD petition on petitiononline.com created by Adam B in November 2001, but it appears to have vanished. I don't know if it was eventually sent to anyone, or how many signatures it ended up having.

Then in Feb 2002, Adam spoke to someone at Granada Enterprises (the part of Granada that would be responsible for such a DVD release). They said that if enough interest could be shown it would help the chances of a release. As a result a copy of the TES 'Bring Back Knightmare' petition containing some 2000 signatures was sent, but this was an old petition and was not Video/DVD specific. http://www.knightmare.com/tes/petition.htm. There was no formal reply other than Adam receiving an acknowledgement of the efforts.

I think there are two options that could now be explored. Firstly a specific 'Knightmare on DVD' petition could be set up (targeted at Granada Enterprises) using something like http://www.petitiononline.com to collect the signatures. When a suitable number has been collected, it can be easily printed out and sent to them.

Secondly people could also write to them at:

Granada Enterprises
200 Grays Inn Road
London
WC1X 8XZ

They have a website at http://www.granadaenterprises.com

So who wants to volunteer to set up a new petition and manage it?
Last edited by Illusion on 11 Jun 2003, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Aldude
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldude »

someone should give it a go at least.  i don't know what happened with Adam's.  he seems to have been missing for a while, so i guess asking him is out of the question.  how hard would it be?

Ali
Sidestep to the left....
Aldude
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldude »

i think a decent menu screen could be Treguards ante-chamber - kinda like - the magic mirror are the episode choice, treguards chair is a documentary or something.  its an idea

Ali
Sidestep to the left....