Legal Knightmare DVDs

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by Fidjit »

I've slapped a comment on my Facebook Mystara. I may not get much or any responses but at least theres a smaller chance of people knowing whats going on round my area. Can you check it in case I've written something wrong? :green:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Excellent, good job. I'm sure it'll be fine :)
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

Fidjit wrote:Yeah, nice idea sozboz, or quite possibly in a limited addition tin case with a hologram on the front. :green:
Yes. Everything is better with holograms.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I think it goes without saying that I'd certainly buy into it.

Good luck Mystara!
PKB
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by PKB »

Hi.

Just want to add my commitment to purchasing the official Knightmare DVD's on release. I've held off a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time on purchasing recorded-from-TV copies on Ebay in hope of official DVD's being released. Tim Child's post last year about something stiring gave me hope so I've continued to hold off. I read earlier in this topic that this is nothing to do with Tim's post which makes me wonder what Tim was referring to, we haven't heard from him in a long time!?!

Anyway, you've got a buyer here, but I have to say I'd be interested in buying DVD's, not downloads.

Also, what are the mysterious unlisted episodes refered to earlier in this topic???

Paul Boland.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I think we have all learned that pirated items are not worth the trouble. You did well Mr. Boland to hold your Knightmare cravings off, I suppose we all did really. Especially me! And I'm trying to quit smoking! ::)
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

I've made a post over at the Spoony Experiment, the guy who did that brilliant video review of Knightmare a while back. For some reason my settings will not allow me to post on the site again, but if you check out the forums in 'The Pit', you should find my topic posted under the name of DC. Last time I checked, there were a few people pledging to purchase, so take it into consideration when tallying the offers.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
chrissyb1981
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by chrissyb1981 »

count me in for the dvd's! i've been waiting for this since the end of series 8.

a good idea though maybe to have a little booklet in each series with behind the scenes photos or maybe some bio's of the characters. oooo.

brain thinking lots here.

embossed front to the dvd case of the helmet (a little like the simpsons special edition series?) or you could have the life source face and each series has a section coming off as it did in the best series ever.

opinions?
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I understand what you mean chrissyb, its called Life Force by the way but its a sweet idea. Red Dwarf DVDs were made in a similar way, along the spines of the DVD cases there was a logo, which, when all were collected made out the Red Dwarf logo. Perhaps the same could be done with the Knightmare logo too?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I think people are getting very bogged down in the details of something which is quite a way from being done (if ever). The vague plan is that episodes will initially be available to download (only). Once enough sales have been made, we would look in to producing DVDs, perhaps with some extras. It is also our intention that if you have downloaded the episodes, you get a discount on the DVD price, although these are only our rough plans.

However, right now, we need to raise more interest. There is currently not enough.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Has the suggested global email been sent yet? I'm sure that will get many informed and hopefully on board.
PKB
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by PKB »

Mystara wrote:However, right now, we need to raise more interest. There is currently not enough.
In an earlier post I saw you mention figures of 4000 to 6000 to make this project viable. I don't want to sound like a harbinger of doom but I have doubts we'll see that here. In that same thread you also said the Bring Back Knightmare campaign had 6000 signatures, so why not taken that as your numbers and run with it?

The problem I see is that, in it's day, Knightmare has two million viewers (which according to CITV wasn't enough and so they canned it!! Twits!!). So where are those views now? Well, we've all grown up. I was in my teens when Knightmare was on, I'm now 33. Those original views have families, have moved on, perhaps even moved to other countries. Say Knightmare to them and they'll probably look back fondly, but they've probably not given the show a thought in a decade or so...

Now, of course, Knightmare is on other channels, channels I don't have access to sadly, so the last time I saw Knightmare was back when it ended. Yes, there are new viewers who love it. These new members come online and look for Knightmare and find this site. And it is those views who are posting here. But how many of the original viewing audience Google Knightmare? Some of us are here, I'm one, Knightmare is one of my all time favourite television shows and I'd love to see it again!! And the memories I have of being there, visiting the studios, meeting the cast, meeting Tim Child and his sister, Susan, meeting some of the teams... Knightmare really does mean a lot to me.

Umm... Might be starting to ramble now! LOL!!! Here's my point... You are needing a vast acknowledgement of interest to make the project viable. What I am saying is, while we have votes here, sadly not many from what I can see, I would ask you to consider the market that are not here, those who loved Knightmare but are not on this website. You said in the same post above that about 10% of voted interest would be buyers. Well, 10% of 2,000,000 orignal audience viewers is 200,000!!!

Of course, as impressive as that is, if the folks aren't here, those sales won't happen. So what I would like to put to you is the possibility of getting Knightmare DVD's on shop shelves... A lot of old television shows are getting television releases and I've invested in them having not given them a second thought for decade+, but on seeing the DVD boxset on the shop shelf it caugt my eye, reignited my memories of those shows, and down went my money to pay for the boxset. I'm sure a Knightmare boxset would catch many peoples eye, and it would reach a lot of the original 2,000,000 audience base. Then the sales you need would be met and surpassed.

If you need more proof that there is a market for Knightmare DVD's, look at Ebay. I've been watching Knightmare DVD's on Ebay for years, been very tempted to invest, and they always seem to sell, bids always go in. So imagine seeing on a shop shelf, a large black boxset with a Fright Knight on it and the word, Knightmare, embossed in red lettering... It would catch your eye and it would sell.

Just something for your consideration.

Paul.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

PKB wrote: In an earlier post I saw you mention figures of 4000 to 6000 to make this project viable. I don't want to sound like a harbinger of doom but I have doubts we'll see that here.
It is appearing that way to us, too.
PKB wrote: In that same thread you also said the Bring Back Knightmare campaign had 6000 signatures, so why not taken that as your numbers and run with it?
Well, you've partly answered your own question. If 6000 people signed the BBK campaign, why aren't 6000 people coming here and showing their support? The fact that they're not suggests that they may not be interested in paying for episodes that they may have already seen, or else they've just lost interest.

[snip]
PKB wrote: So what I would like to put to you is the possibility of getting Knightmare DVD's on shop shelves... A lot of old television shows are getting television releases and I've invested in them having not given them a second thought for decade+, but on seeing the DVD boxset on the shop shelf it caugt my eye, reignited my memories of those shows, and down went my money to pay for the boxset. I'm sure a Knightmare boxset would catch many peoples eye, and it would reach a lot of the original 2,000,000 audience base. Then the sales you need would be met and surpassed.
The problem is the sum of money you're talking about. In order to get an entire box set of DVDs on shop shelves, we'd have to spend in the region of £100,000 up front. Even then, we'd need to convince shop owners that they'll actually sell to get them up on shelves.
None of us has that kind of money, even if we pool all our worldly assets. We certainly don't have that amount of money to potentially lose.
By all means, if you do, or if you know someone who does, please get in contact.

If these things get off the ground, we will distribute episodes online (which requires a much smaller upfront payment) until we've raised the additional funds necessary to produce DVDs. But if there's not enough interest, it just won't happen.

There's not much more that any of us can do. If ITV had an interest in producing the DVDs, they could do so for a fraction of the price. But we don't have the money to do what you're suggesting. So it simply can't work.
PKB
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by PKB »

Thanks for the reply, Alan. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be forceful on the matter, I understand exactly what you've said. All I was trying to highlight was that if it was possible to get a Knightmare boxset on the shop shelves that I'm sure the sales would come. It's a shame you're not getting the votes here to make the project viable. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it does happen.

All the best,
Paul.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Pauls right in a way Alan, we've got to be optimistic whilst we're waiting for any other contributors/fans. Its only just been a week since you slapped that notice on Km.com, and what with the website and forums being quiet these days, people will be popping in once in a while. Keeping ideas coming in is a healthy way to keep forum members/fans hopes alive. Just a quick thought on the "Knightmare on DVD" section you wrote on the site. Can't you make it stand out a bit more, you know, more visible. To catch a viewers eye or something, it looks so bland it nearly melts in with the other news that is so outdated that people will scan it roughly and miss it