New Home For Knightmare?

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

New Home For Knightmare?

Post by Naitch »

Hello

I just wondered, seeing as Knightmare is no longer on Challenge, do you think any other station will pick it up?

I think it could be great on Nick Jr as part of their Classics section.

For those that don't watch, at 8pm Nick Jr becomes Nick Jr Classics and shows great kids programmes from the 70s and 80s such as Rainbow, Button Moon, Portland Bill Thomas The Tank Engine and other shows for two hours.

Just think how great Knightmare would look in this slot alongside those other great shows.

Alternatively, it would be great if the CITV channel were to pick it up.

Any chance of it hasppening on either channel?

What does everyone think?
Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:New Home For Knightmare?

Post by Billy »

Don't get worried just yet. Challenge still has the rights to six out of the eight series, and will return in September with Series 5...though it'll be S5's last showing before the rights to that expire. They'll still have S6-8 and S1 & 2, though; it'd be easy for a TV channel to buy the rights to Series 3 and 4 (and soon 5) and show them at the same time Challenge show the other five.

Nick Jr Classics consists of programmes for the very young, hence the 'Jr'. Rainbow, followed by Knightmare, followed by Button Moon wouldn't work that well.

I had high hopes for the CITV Channel, but they hardly show anything pre 21st century. There's that animated Rupert series from the early 90s, but that's virtually it.

Sci-Fi Channel picking it up again, perhaps? They could get a whole load of sci-fi themed kids shows and have a whole block of them in the mornings. Heck, any channel doing that would be good.

Or maybe a kids channel, like Jetix? Heck, maybe the CBBC Channel? Don't dismiss this immediately - Cbeebies showed Tots TV a few years back, which was originally an early 90s ITV show and is now on a BBC channel.

A great thing about CBBC is that if they repeat an old show, sometimes they bring the original actors back into the studio - they did it with The Smurfs in the late 90s, Maid Marian and her Merry Men in 2001, and The Demon Headmaster just last year. Imagine Hugo Myatt or Mark Knight chatting with the presenters and introducing the show!
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

BillyH wrote: Don't get worried just yet. Challenge still has the rights to six out of the eight series, and will return in September with Series 5...though it'll be S5's last showing before the rights to that expire. They'll still have S6-8 and S1 & 2, though; it'd be easy for a TV channel to buy the rights to Series 3 and 4 (and soon 5) and show them at the same time Challenge show the other five.
Let's all write to the Sci-Fi channel and order them to do this.

Then, finally, I'll see series 3.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Here's one option... Five. Now hopefully we wouldn't see an adult version ala Jungle Run though. Anyway the reason I mention 'Five' is that later this year they are launching 2 new channels, one of which will be extending their 'milkshake' brand if I recall. From memory Five are currently showing 'Round the twist' and have been known in the past to show gameshows such as Desert Forges and Fort Boyard.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

The Brollachan wrote: Here's one option... Five. Now hopefully we wouldn't see an adult version ala Jungle Run though. Anyway the reason I mention 'Five' is that later this year they are launching 2 new channels, one of which will be extending their 'milkshake' brand if I recall.
That'd be no good, though, as that's their version of Nick Jr, Cbeebies, or any of the other under-fives specialities. Maybe on whatever other new channel they're launching, it might be a possibility.

But even then, five has such a small share of the terrestrial audience, and even after nine years have never shaken off its reputation for low-quality, low-budget programmes, that you have to wonder - should they be launching either of these new channels in the first place?

The only thing I can see that five have on their side is that they've been known to resurrect old quiz shows, Challenge-style - but their method involves trying to launch an apparently new quiz with a new title in the hope we'd all forgotten the old one. Imagine my surprise when I turned on one of these new quizzes just to see what it was like and was instead presented with a remake of Going For Gold. So, if you see anything on five's listings with a suspiciously dungeons-and-dragons-and-swords-and-shields-type title, the chances are it's Knightmare series 9...
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

well they've shown knightmare that often they'll probbaly buy up the rights again i eman how have other shows such as crystal maze kept going for so long repreat after repeat???
knightmaredave
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I think because The Crystal Maze gets a bigger viewing audience. And it's probably cheaper (less royalties to pay).
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

The Crystal Maze seems to come and go, though. And it appears they don't have the full set - I've been waiting to see the two Tudor-Pole series for ages now, and when I had the inclination to check Challenge religiously every say it was a constant spiral of series 1-4. They have had the T-P series shown before, though - some time circa 2003, before I had access to Challenge, and I know this because there's a Challenge trailer from around that time clearly showing ET-P charging around the maze, along with scenes from Knightmare as they were doing a double-header. Possibly I picked up the trailer from this site? It's been long enough for me to forget.