Challenge TV vs Brangwen!

Discussion of the repeats of Knightmare on the satellite channel Challenge?
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Challenge TV vs Brangwen!

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Ten Pole Tudor are a pretty poor band.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

Don't Diss Ten Pole Tudor!  :P
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

Bert and the ghost of Dennis McTudor beat Mumsy and Auntie Sabrina any day of the week.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Umm....NO!

Granitas: One truth I seek from one. Fail and you're dead. Who is better? Ed Tudor Pole, or Richard O Brien?

Thanatos: Ed.

Granitas: FALSEHOOD!
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Never thought I'd see anyone who preferred Ed.  The fact that the Crystal Maze had 4 successful series with Reckless Rick and only 2 more less successful series after he left speaks volumes.  In the end, most people watched the Crystal Maze for Richard O'Brien.  Switching to Ed is like having someone other than Hugo Myatt playing Treguard.  Knightmare would soon have perished without him.  Ooooh, nasty!
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Edward Tudor Pointless probably wasn't helped by the fact that after so long the format was pretty obvious and predictable. Richard O'Brilliant got out while the show was still popular. If he'd stayed, the ratings would perhaps still have dipped eventually, even with his wit and personality keeping a lot of viewers on board.

Having said that, I think loads of people just watched it for RO'B and Tudor-Pointless didn't even compare for many people. RO'B was always a little detached from the game; it was obvious he took it with a pinch of salt. ET-P just seemed so overly into it that I think a lot of people suddenly woke up to the tacky elements of it all. He might have done better if he'd not tried quite so hard and, like Debz said, been himself.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

And I wonder how the KM production team would have handled it if Hugo had decided to move on.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Yeah, especially in series 3 and 4, Richard seemed to be thinking 'Oh my god, what a thick bunch of people I have around me' most of the time.  It seemed inevitable really that he would give it up sooner or later but his replacement would always have too big an act to follow and try as Ed did (and boy did he try), he didn't match up.

Surely KM would have ceased very soon had Hugo left.  This would be more clear cut than with the Crystal Maze.  Can anyone imagine anyone taking over from Hugo?  It just wouldn't happen.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I forgot to mention the repetitiveness of Ed's jokes! The "cosmic handshake" joke wasn't even funny and yet he still repeated it about 100 times.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Not to mention the button in the Futuristic zone which no-one was to press under any circumstances.  Ed says, 'Team, you must NOT ... Press ... this ... button,' while repeatedly pressing it as hard as he can.

Another annoying trait was the way he insisted on standing with his legs open as wide as possible all the time.
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

He wasn't that bad, both were good, just for different reasons.
I Love Goblins
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

I would appear to be in a very small minority.

I will now add salt to my wound by saying that I thought Ann Robinson was the second-best (the best being Charles Kennedy) guest presenter of "Have I Got News For You".
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I won't mock this time, since I never saw her episode. CK was very very good, though.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

heheheheheeee...madness...
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

that I thought Ann Robinson was the second-best
Anne Robbinson is a racist!!! She should be taken off our screens ASAP. The BBC obviously condoles Racisms!
I Love Goblins