The Day the Night Slept

Projects of the cast and crew of Knightmare.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

The Day the Night Slept

Post by DavidNewton »

Hi again! I used to hang around here :)

I've just finished producing the latest album for my power metal project Albion - a rock opera based on the Hatoful stories, which premieres on the 20th at 7pm GMT (and the 21st at 1am). It's called The Day the Night Slept, and the single "Lost in Dreams" with commentary has just been released here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCLFqY0XQI

Why should the Knightmare forum care? Well... I'm not sure how this happened, but somehow I managed to get a very special guest to lend his voice as one of the characters. He appears at the end of this song... I always thought his voice was made for this and I'm very pleased with how it turned out!
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The Day the Night Slept

Post by JamesA »

Really enjoyed listening to this, and Hugo lending his voice at the end was a sublime finishing touch.

This brought back memories of a few years ago when I went to see a similar rock opera entitled Last Man On Earth (created by fellow KM fan Benjamin Bloom), where Hugo gave a narrated visual during certain parts of the performance.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

That's awesome - it's an incredibly catchy song, and I love the range of vocal styles and the instrumentalism behind it all. Basing it on the Hatoful series is appropriately insane!

Yes, it was good to hear Hugo doing a bit as well - at one point, I thought I'd missed out on a Knightmare reference and that one of your singers was a former contestant or something! He's suitably ominous as The Conductor.

Good job.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Welcome back, David. Good to see another old forum member returning. It supports something I once said:
I wrote: 24 Apr 2016, 12:21 I like to believe that even when people do move on from the forums, they don't move on from Knightmare. Fortunately there are examples of this.
Well done on getting Hugo for your project and for such a polished result. As you may have seen, it's been added to the website's 2020 Events page. I enjoyed listening to the whole album on Bandcamp. It was also good to put a face and voice to your name via the video.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Thanks so much, everyone - it's amazing to see some familiar names from a long time ago!

It really did come as a complete surprise to me as well - I was struggling getting the narration part to sound right myself and then remembered about the series introductions in Knightmare and how his voice was absolutely perfect for over-the-top pretentious metal concept albums... so I looked up his agent, sent an email to her and she (being an incredibly nice woman!) just... sorted it all out. (I definitely had to carefully word the detail that the story was "based on the works of a Japanese author called Hato Moa" and desperately hoping she didn't Google it.) Even so many years on, I'm still not quite used to being an adult and being able to ask people to do things.

I'm back on a Knightmare kick now thanks to this :)