Unintended Knightmare references on TV

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Unintended Knightmare references on TV

Post by Canadanne »

Mr Bean was shown attending the funeral of a "David Campbell" on Comic Relief this evening. :)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I was reading about the charity Combat Stress and couldn't help but be reminded of the name of a certain Knightmare obstacle.

One scene in 1990s The Tomorrow People serial The Rameses Connection features a cat shooting energy bolts in a room with Ancient Egyptian decor.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Rievaulx Abbey is on TV again this week, in Secret Britain (BBC1) on Wednesday at 9pm. And in last week's episode, they were shown a weather phenomenon known locally as 'dragon's breath'!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

In the Corbiss the Bemuser thread, I wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 11:05 Marta, who accompanied Hordriss, spends her time ordering fish in the canteen and creating a series of 'Oneness' idents. Nothing suspicious about that.

Not even, it seems, when 'Marta' got Hordriss to appear in one of them.

oneness.jpg
oneness.jpg (42.91 KiB) Viewed 14270 times
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

After Theresa May's speech at the Conservative Party Conference, it was somebody's job to collect the lost letters.

Letter F lost and found.jpg
Letter F lost and found.jpg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 14005 times
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Star Trek: Picard has so far featured elf portals a.k.a. teleportation doorways (though admittedly older Star Trek episodes had examples, plus the obvious transporter pads) and a corridor with blocks that seem to slide from one wall to the other, reminding me of Knightmare's Block & Tackle.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I recently watched the first episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

In the introductory sequence, Marenghi says the legendary Brother Strange quote "Greetings Traveller" as well as give a nod to "The Powers That Be".

Elsewhere in the episode, you can see certain scenes that were clearly shot against a blue screen, akin to Knightmare itself.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Browsing the TV guide, I notice the following synopsis for an episode of 'Ambulance: Code Red': "Paramedics rush a man to hospital after a circular saw incident, and an air ambulance helps a man crushed under a great weight." Is it just me or does this sound like the aftermath of the Knightmare Series 7 finale? ;D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

The film Pride, currently available on BBC iPlayer after its TV showing earlier in June, has Jessie Cave (Knightmare Geek Week) among its cast. It also has a character named Cliff Barry.

The film Iron Sky: The Coming Race, also shown on TV recently, has references to "moon Nazis". I can imagine Treguard saying this.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

On a recent BBC Four repeat of Top Of The Pops from 18/02/1993, Lenny Kravitz performed Are You Gonna Go My Way. If that's the entrance to the (non short cut) Corridor of Blades from Knightmare Series 8 behind him then no, I'm not gonna go his way.
Lenny Kravitz TOTP 1993.jpg
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Drassil wrote: 19 Jul 2014, 17:02
A long time ago (2003) in a thread far, far away (not actually all that far away), I wrote:...The Francis Urquhart trilogy.

Dungeoneer: Are you Hordriss?
Hordriss: You may think that; one couldn't possibly comment.
The original House of Cards TV series was repeated on Drama last weekend. The lead character's distinctive habit of continually breaking the fourth wall and addressing the audience was a strong reminder of Knightmare.
For some reason I had the urge to rewatch House of Cards. Series 1 started in November 1990: a month which saw an elf ("silly sprite") called Pickle assisting Treguard and dungeoneer Simon sidestepping to his left.

In episode 1 of House of Cards, Francis Urquhart talks about recruiting "elves and sprites to do my bidding". In the next scene, another character says, "Did you see that sidestep?"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Series 1 of Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power has a scene where a boy has evaded danger by climbing into a well.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

In yesterday's episode of Doctor Who, Wild Blue Yonder, gravity was referred to as mavity. This could be applied to the demise of Knightmare's second dungeoneer, who was drawn downwards after her team had made a Maeve error in not taking the comb from the clue room.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Have I Got News For You featured this painting of Beatrice from The Divine Comedy, and my first thought was that she looks like she's being played by Juliet Henry-Massy!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

In Doctor Who serial The Celestial Toymaker (1966), the title character offers the Doctor power and invites the Doctor to serve him. This is reminiscent of some of Mogdred's interactions with dungeoneers. The Toymaker says this while looking a little like Mogdred in Series 4.