Choose Your Own Adventure Books

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
LiamABC
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Choose Your Own Adventure Books

Post by LiamABC »

I've recently picked up a few of these in my local secondhand bookshop, and gotten right back into them. Of course I have all the Knightmare books, whose quest sections operate on largely the same principle, but it was still fun flipping through these. I was just wondering, has anybody else still got any of these?
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure Books

Post by JamesA »

I don't actually have any of these books myself, but I do remember reading some of them a long time ago with great fondness - The Cave Of Time (the first of the series), the Prisoner Of The Ant People/War With The Evil Power Master double header, and there's also The Curse Of Batterslea Hall.... Lady Darkness being a character I remember to be genuinely terrifying.

However, my favourite is undoubtedly Hyperspace, a brilliant concept for an adventure gamebook, and one I recommend checking out should you ever get the opportunity.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Yes, I have a few. Inside UFO 54-40, Beyond Escape!, Planet of the Dragons. They're good stuff.

Unlike a lot of other adventure gamebooks, there isn't a lot of fighting in the CYOA books. Fighting Fantasy books by Jackson & Livingstone, while a lot of fun to play and read, I always found a bit marred by the large amount of combat. CYOA doesn't suffer from slowdown in that way.

To be honest, they could be written a little better... but they're good examples of a genre which, at that time, hadn't really been explored to its full potential.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

I'm addicted to Fighting Fantasy. I have 3 books at home (two of which are the same copy lolz) and the rest...well...I wish I could buy the library out of them.
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I suspect (with suitable embarrassment) that I still have a copy of The Underground Kingdom and Journey To The Year 3000 tucked away in the attic somewhere. :-X

It goes without saying that any mention of this by any of you will lead to profuse bloodshed...