Knightmare clip at BFI event, 28th July 2019

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Knightmare clip at BFI event, 28th July 2019

Post by Drassil »

Yesterday I went to an event at the BFI (British Film Institute) called 90s Kids' Shows. Knightmare did feature, but disappointingly.

Before the panel discussion was an extended compilation of clips of '90s shows (mainly children's shows but The Crystal Maze and GamesMaster were included). The Knightmare clip was Team 1 of Series 6 (dungeoneer Matt) passing the blocker on Level 1. This meant we saw no proper characters, only the team members.

For some reason, on this clip alone the sound and vision were out of sync. It looked like Matt wasn't responding to the advisors' instructions; people in the audience were laughing.

To add insult to injury, the clip was from a Challenge transmission with the Challenge logo blurred out across the life force meter. I don't know why they couldn't have got hold of a logo-free clip: that scene is on the ITV Children's Classics YouTube channel, along with about 600 others from Knightmare.

As a Knightmare fan it was cringeworthy. I know that the BFI are capable of so much better.

Fans of Maid Marian And Her Merry Men on 'the other side' would have got the most out of the event. As well as Tony Robinson's contributions, the actors who played Robin and Marian spoke.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Re: Knightmare clip at BFI event, 28th July 2019

Post by Mashibinbin »

The nightmare Knightmare contribution aside it looks like it had all the work to make it a good day for a reasonable price. I hope there was enough to enjoy!
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Watched the clip yesterday and agree the video didn't seem as it should. It's a shame Knightmare didn't feature more prominently at the event you attended but I think fans (actual fans) of the show are few and far between. We're something of a unique crowd so to speak.

Didn't watch many childrens programmes in the 90's. Other than Knightmare of course. The Crystal Maze as mentioned would be an exception. Never the same once Richard O Brien left it, but at least they introduced some new rooms to explore, and with it, a whole new zone I remember.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

The video clip I linked to does have flaws, but the one shown at the event was from a Challenge TV repeat. Some of the other clips had logos that weren't blurred out, such as a (poor quality) clip of Art Attack from a Children's Channel repeat.

If the BFI ever does an '80s kids' TV event, I hope Knightmare will feature more prominently.

Trying to do justice to '90s kids' TV in two hours was ambitious. A different panel and different clips could have taken things in a different direction, but Tony Robinson had plenty of insights as someone who's been on both sides of the camera over many years.