Series 7 & 8

JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 7 & 8

Post by JamesA »

I forgot to do my usual thing of mentioning the team I felt sorry for in each series.

For Series 7 it's pretty easy. Team 5's death is a little confusing, and the whole not using the darkness powder thing was a little unfair. Where were all the hints that most other teams got by this stage? A hint to use it was far more deserved here than in many other cases.

A lot of peeps mention Series 8 Team 1 as being unfairly dismissed. I can never make up my mind here, but I don't think they have as much justification in feeling aggrieved as some. I would have liked more clue scrolls to leave the teams in a little doubt, to be honest.
Series 7 Team 5 = indeed

Series 8 Team 1 = blantantly ignored advice from the scroll and so deserved to die ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Series 8 Team 1 = blantantly ignored advice from the scroll and so deserved to die ;D
Well, that's what I thought too, originally. I'm not so sure now, though.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

They seemed to be more interested in getting out of the rooms than actually playing the game properly

I don't think they fell to the usual Team One curse, I think it's due to the fact they simply didn't listen to obvious clues.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Elita WASN'T in Series 7
Oh shush up...Pickle was MENTIONED at the beginning of the series. Therefore there are elves in it.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

I know why I didn't like Series 8 as much as past ones when it first aired on CITV.

Series 3 was my first Knightmare experience - I didn't know of it's existence before that.  I enjoyed it immensly, but because it was to change format in Series 4, I didn't have time to appreciate the old format.  When it did change, I was a bit puzzled as to why it had, but soon got used to the outdoor environments and soon decided I really enjoyed the change.  When it changed again in Series 8, I was frustrated because of the lack of variety of rooms and the sameiness of it all.  Basically, I grew up with the outdoor environments of Series 4-7.  It was a big shock when they changed it after that.

Now, however, I've come to enjoy the clips on this site of Series 8 and I look forward to seeing it again at some point (when I can afford another order).  I like it now (but still not as much as Series 3-7).
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I liked Series 7. It had Tim in it!!!
Last edited by Emii on 04 Jan 2003, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Did you put a picture of a Pooka there before instead of that one, Emii? I'm sure when I checked this thread before there was a Pooka pic. there. *begs it to be true and not the goblins in his head playing tricksies again*

"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

No I didn't. You're going mad.

Just kidding - yeah I couldn't work out the link so I was just typing in random numbers before jpg and I eventually found it :)
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Oh shush up...Pickle was MENTIONED at the beginning of the series. Therefore there are elves in it.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Where's my handbag?  ;D
James Aukett
bpthorne
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by bpthorne »

That reminds me of something else I forgot to mention about Series 7- The shift toward sight potions and such.
I was a bit confused by the whole sight potion stuff.  Granted, it was great fun for the dungeoneer to wear a pair of Virtual Reality glasses inside the helmet and to be seeing this sort of little holographic image of the room floating about six inches in front of your forehead.  Very weird feeling.  But not much fun for the audience, which surely is the whole point?  So what if the dungeoneer could see?  (He or she couldn't see very well I might add, the usefulness of Virtual Reality glasses cannot really be properly underestimated.)  It seemed to me like it was a case of the technical guys really REALLY wanting to find a way to use a new bit of exciting technology, without realising that the audience enjoyment factor involved in using it was pretty much nil.

Sorry, that sounds really bleak looking back at it - the whole thing was a lot of fun, this gripe is a bit undeserved really given everything else that was good about the adventure.

By the way James - I think you should avoid putting up horrendous pictures like the one at the start of this topic, or at least put some sort of government health warning with them.  You'll have people boycotting the site if you're not careful  ;D
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Heheheeeeee...handbags at dawn!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Hi James...

( )] <---handbag
    O
o=( )=o <---James
   |||
   ^^

WHACK!
Last edited by Emii on 06 Jan 2003, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

And this is me....

>-|-d¦

.... out for the count  ;D
James Aukett
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

And here's the big fish come to eat you up...
       ___
      (___ \__
        \/  \  o  \
>-|-d     |   D  <
        /\_/  __/
       (___/

MWAHAHAHA!!!
Last edited by Emii on 08 Jan 2003, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

OT: Knightmare

Post by Pooka »

Off topic, I'm going to talk about Knightmare. :p

Series 7
My favourite series, it rox0rZz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Good things: Grimaldine, Goth, Lissard, Lord Fear's witty dialogue (start of series 7 was the best bit ever), Hordriss' parts, longer quests, more detailed storylines, Shellphone network - 2 winning teams (Barry rocked, Julie was OK). Ah Wok!! Rothberry. Smirkenorff. The ending was totally fantastic. POOKAS!!!
Bad things: Majida (nothing against her, she was just a bit annoying), long Eye Shield sequences.

Series 8
Good things: Very nice graphics, Lord Fear's new environment, Linghorm, Marblehead, Great Mire and Miremen (rocked). Like the bits on the ship, they were very very good. Lord Fear still funny, but not as much as last time. Liked Eye Shield graphics. Smirkenorff.
Bad things: Quests tended to drag on a bit. Rothberry only appeared once. No Ah Wok. Honesty Bartram annoyed me, Lord Fear's skull helmet was a bit annoying. It was dumbed down a bit, seemed more childish (perhaps). No pookas.

The thing I don't have against Series 8 is the short cut with Dunstan's quest. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this but personally I can't see what the fuss is about. Yes, it may have cut the challenge short, I agree. However, not many teams managed to survive the Corridor of Blades which is an achievement in itself! I didn't like Oliver's quest where he got into Level 3 in five minutes - that was bad.
I think the production team should have let Dunstan and co. go on into Level 2, that way they might have finished their quest at the end of the series, nicely coinciding with a cool ending akin to the end of Series 7. Now that would have been good...

...but it didn't happen.

Meh.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.