Series 5 Episode 1

GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 5 Episode 1

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Okay, we used to do these episode by episode discussions, so I thought I'd restart them. :D

What did people think? All comments, observations, discussion etc. welcome. It'd be great to hear the views of those who haven't posted before too. :D
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
BelladonnaSilver
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Series 5 Episode 1

Post by BelladonnaSilver »

I thought they tried to bulk out the episode with fancy footage, the dragon intro seemed to take ages, I liked it of course but I was more interested in getting on with it! ;)
There seemed to be a lot of explaining things (new series=new viewers I guess) but the team didn't appear to understand the game. OK there was new rooms and characters but they seemed to be in over their heads!
However, I thought Lord Fear is a better enemy and the questions etc were harder.
Series 5 was great (is great sorry) but I'm really impatient and want things to get going faster. Less talk more action I say!
Belladonna and Aconite, give to me the gift of flight...
mattymoo_goblin
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by mattymoo_goblin »

Hi Im New To The Forum...
well it was nice too see outdoor scenery without all the purple of S4 and the whole start was much quicker then with S4 which is gr8.
its nice too see Smirkenorf again and because its only the first episode all the characters were'nt at their best but things will take off  :)
You Have too Remember Pickle That This Is Not Game....
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Yep, I had that feeling of wanting them to get on with it too. I guess since it's the introductory episode and quest, we just have to given them a little license to set things up, but it's a little slow sometimes.

For someone like me who likes to see Level 1 as a challenge, the one this team got was a bit disappointing- basically, all they had to do was play out the scene with Mace, remember what to say to Julius, and get one question right with Gwendoline. Still, as I said, I guess the first episode was more introductory than anything, needing to bring in a few new characters and especially Lord Fear.

Still, despite having so little to do, I was amazed at how nearly the girls managed to mess it up! They nearly sidestepped off Smirkenorff's back and couldn't remember Mace's name. I did laugh at Julius having to prompt them like that. Still, they're quite funny, and it's kinda fitting that the very first description of Sylvester Hands in Knightmare was "some sort of creature". :D
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 20 Oct 2003, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

well it was one hell of a boring episode lol, Well its wan't that bad.. very slow..  i guess thats level one for u.  but i never was a fan of the outside parts in Knightmare anyway.. but things will pick up.. needs to get used to it and all that stuff..

I never did like the way they had to choose what quest that wish to take.

Also this current team seems alittle dopy at times.
Lord Fear was just great.. everyones fav.  can't wate to see him in action.  Also Pikle was pretty quiet.  But all in all its Knightmare.  As long as Level one becomes alittle more harder next time i'll be happy.  but the team didn't really do anything to help lol

Was the frightnight over the door a good or bad sign? ithought it was good. leadings them on the quest.  ???
Last edited by Anonymous on 21 Oct 2003, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Welcome mattymoo_goblin! Yes Series 5 is a hit, I didn't actually see the program until last night because I had to see my girlfriend in the morning and then had to go to college. But I am recording the series now...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

(Never got the chance to do this before and now I finally can take part in an episode post-mortem!)

Yes, this was a rather slow episode but a fair few characters were introduced that would become Km staples: Lord Fear, Smirkenorff and Sylvester Hands.

First time around, I noticed how they got rid of the heartbeat on the Life Force clock. I always preferred it with, to be honest.

In any case, I'm chuffed because I've seen it live for the first time in 12 years and the picture quality was OUTSTANDING! Plus, I recorded it - haven't done that in a very long time indeed and was a very nostalgic moment. Roll on Wednesday! :)
Subject to change.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I discovered that too Malefact... Life Force isn't really right without the "Heartbeat"  :(

The graphics though were superb and was able to see Smirkenoff for the first time in years...  ;D

I can't wait to see if CHALLENGE are showing Series 6, but I shouldn't be too tempted for we have only started number 5...  :)

LONG LIVE KNIGHTMARE!!!  ;)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

First time around, I noticed how they got rid of the heartbeat on the Life Force clock. I always preferred it with, to be honest.
Yes, me too. Nice to have it on screen occasionally, but it was much better with the pulsing sound.

I know we all say it, but I do hope Challenge get Series 6, because a lot of the new characters in Series 5 really come into their own then. Being the strange person I am, I watched my videos of Series 5 in preparation for Challenge showing it, and you really notice how far some of the characters come between Series 5 and 6.

I'm a lot more impressed by Rayner Bourton than I once was. Sometimes it's obvious when you have a genuinely talented and comically astute actor involved in Knightmare, and I think this is one of those cases.

I still don't like much of the Treguard/Pickle banter. It's a purely personal opinion, but I like Pickle less with every viewing. There are still some nice lines floating around though- I did love Mace's comment on Sly Hands- "I wouldn't play cards with him if God wasn't on my side." Michael Cule just seems to fit in so well, like a part of the KM furniture somehow.
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

Ahh, it was great seeing that again, even though I agree with the rest of you that it was a bit slow.  

I couldn't remember any parts of that quest at all, except the Spyglass scene, which is on this site anyway.  All the characters were great, although Sly Hands didn't sound the same.  I liked all the Eye Shield scenes (I'm a fan of the later format anyway).

The team got through Level 1 a bit too easily though, because they didn't have to choose any objects as they were given to them.  And I missed Lord F's humour, even though he's the best baddie by a mile.

Despite not being one of the best episodes I still enjoyed it and can't wait for the next installment!  ;D
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

Seeing Smirkenorff again after so many years was a magical moment  :D Bless him  ;) Though I did feel sorry for him having such a dull team as his first ones...Plus I've said it before, I'll say it again, teams, LEARN your left and right before you come on the show!!  ;) She nearly stepped off his back because she went right instead of left!  It was great to see KM again though, this must be around when I started watching it as a kid as I definitely remember Smirkenorff, because he grooved!  Go Challenge for buying series 5, here's hoping for 6  :)
"You're in a room..." ;)
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

I'm a lot more impressed by Rayner Bourton than I once was. Sometimes it's obvious when you have a genuinely talented and comically astute actor involved in Knightmare, and I think this is one of those cases.
TALENTED AND COMICAL?!?! You didn't have to listen to him for two hours at a convention! The man does NOT shut up!

Anyway, I'd agree that Series 5 moves very slowly. I've found myself fast-forwarding things like the causeway sequence, just because they take so long! The timers in Series 6 were a definite improvement.  Also I really miss the wall monsters in the Clue Rooms, it's just a case of "walk in, look at objects, use spyglass, take a ludicrous amount of time to pick objects, argue with advisers, etc." Though I DO like the blockers.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

what about the frightknight over the door?
any ideas???   ???
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

I think the Frightknight over the door is a bad sign, I'm sure Treguard mentions something about it. Though there are teams that have taken Frightknight doors and survived, and I think in later levels BOTH doors have Frightknights over them.

My personal theory is that in the earlier levels the Frightknight is there to stop teams taking the right door, since it's generally the right door that teams take unless advised otherwise.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
Leggy1210
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Leggy1210 »

Episode 1 posted for download, episode 2 currently uploading - sorry I've been a bit slow!
"Side-foot to your right...!"