Series 5

JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 5

Post by JamesA »

This topic has been started on the old Knightmare forum since I had trouble accessing this one last night:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/170273
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 5

Post by Debz_g »

I agree that the highlight of series 5 was the introduction of Lord Fear, bringing in Mark Knight made a whole lot of difference in my opinion. I'm not denying that Mogdread scared me, but I think with the introduction of spy glass scenes it allowed us to see the continuous presence  of the opposition and not allow us for one moment to relax and forget about them. The anticipation of Lord Fear realising that the teams were watching them chilled me to the bone!
Then there is of course Sly Hands who is one of my fave characters! A bit odd to start with, as if you compare his voice at the beginning of the series to the end, he isnt the Sly we have come to know and love. But Paul Valentine settled into the role and its interesting to watch the development of Sly.
My favourite moment is when Ben's team win, as they worked so hard and well as a team that they deserved it. The final floor puzzle was great to watch, I was dreading that their lifeforce would finish them off before they made it back! (Btw Nic, the photos from Ray Lockton are fab, very interesting to see!)
Admittedly series 5 isnt my favourite series by far, but it does have its redeeming qualities!  :)
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

S5 was the expansion of S4, and the smaller child of S6...cough.

For that, it still has muddles and uncertain plot lines, but overall, the season was damn difficult.

However, I do think that some of the scenery in S5 was the most boring in KM history.

MK was in there though, and we had some superb scenes in the boat and in Wolfenden, and Sir Hugh is priceless.

The ante chamber looked a bit bare however, and Treguard was somewhat less involved in what was going on, and the sudden disappearence of Merlin was odd!

The finalé was, however, superb, and the winning team seemed to know what they were doing, and Ii think deserved the win, although some teams that season really were....stupid.  Esp the team who lied about the horn (team 2 i think?), that was pure daft.

I give the season an overal 7 /10, minus points for the lack of scenery (I hated the hillside eye shield scenes, I mean it looked so much like earth, you could see sheep!) and plus points for Lord F and Smirkey (although he didnt talk sadly)

Things would get better in S6!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I don't really pay attention to stuff liek that - I really should, though. Normally either i like it or I don't like it. I tend to prefer anything from series 4 onwards, but that's probably because I haven't actually seen anything properly from the first three series. Roll on Challenge? TV!
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

although some teams that season really were....stupid.  Esp the team who lied about the horn (team 2 i think?), that was pure daft.
My guess is that they knew they were buggered and so they had to try absolutely anything!  ;D
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Quite right  ;)

Captured by Skarkill as well - "LOVELY!"  ;D
James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

some teams that season really were....stupid.  Esp the team who lied about the horn (team 2 i think?), that was pure daft.)
Well, yes, they were buggered. Especially Team 2. But I've always liked those teams who try beyond hope to find a way out of a situation. (Just to mention my two favourites yet one more time: Offering Lilith an empty jar of humbugs; Julie and the Goblins- "Ask the gobins if they'd like a present, Julie!") And Team 2 were very inventive on that occasion, in my opinion. I don't know how prepared they were, but Skarkill's responses were just fabulous.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Having said that, Team 8 were just awful in their demise. Having got so far in the Dungeon, you'd think they could have plucked up the courage to tell the Descender to stop.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

The problem with that team though, was that only one advisor was doing all the guiding and spellcasting
James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

The problem with that team though, was that only one advisor was doing all the guiding and spellcasting
Yes, sadly so. They did deserve to die, but it was still pointless. I mean, just shout for it to stop, you sillies.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I think the descender floor should have just swallowed them up for taking too long  ;D
James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Admittedly series 5 isnt my favourite series by far, but it does have its redeeming qualities!  :)
That kinda sums this series up for me too.

There's certainly a lot of good stuff here. Lord Fear and Sly Hands are such fabulous additions. Smirky is a great idea well realised. And I also really liked the causeways; perhaps I'd have liked them to be a little less common, though. And the Descender.  

I don't think anyone's mentioned Aesandre, who I thought was really good. A pity, in my view, she was used for the end of season and then not brought back next year, for whatever reason. I liked Winteria as an environment a lot too.

Team 2's death is great, and the winning team are really good. Their pretty worrying life force situation on the final puzzle makes it fabulous viewing. We really didn't know if they'd make it back alive, whereas for some teams in later seasons, once you had the quest object, you seemed pretty much safe. I think most people knew not much was going to happen on the little jaunts back through the dwarf tunnels and such.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

There's also some stuff I didn't like much, and several things I was just baffled by.

- I found Gwendoline pretty forgettable, to be honest.
- On Elita, someone on another thread hit the nail on the head: she's evidently meant to be an annoying elf, but likeable nonetheless. For me too, she's just annoying.
- Sir Hugh. Certainly not one of my favourite Mark Knight roles.
- Some of the drab outside environments.
- Why was Gundrada not brought back?

Team 8's death is pretty awful, really. And Team 3 really let themselves down considering they'd got so far.

I'm still confused by Team 7's death. No-one on the epic length thread on the old forum about them completely convinced me it all made sense.

Oh, and I was slightly confused by the whole freezing Aesandre thing with the winning team. She made it pretty clear, as I remember, that was was going to fireball them. So obviously, with the fight fire with fire clue, they correctly chose to freeze her. But she's an ice sorceress. I'd have thought she would be more likely to try freezing them. You'd think also she might be slightly resistant to freezing effects. Certainly as her lines were written it was fairly clear what to do on the team's part; I just thought it was a slightly strange thing for her to do. Ho hum. Perhaps you might just say that they beat her at her own game. Being frozen herself was just desserts, I guess.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I agree about Gundrada - the fact that she wasn't brought back is just damn annoying  >:(
James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I agree about Gundrada - the fact that she wasn't brought back is just damn annoying  >:(
I wouldn't have minded if either Gwendoline or Elita had been anywhere near as good. Oh well, never mind.