Series 4 - Episode 13

Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 4 Episode 13

Post by Billy »

A winning team at last- the first one since 1988, eh?Evidentally Treguard's world and our world are closer than we think! Still they did do well, and top marks to them. Loved it when they cracked up after Treguard mentioned Dooreen's name- but hey, a pun is a pun. A nice, clear picture of the floating skull in the crown room, too- the first time it had been won!
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

Hello. Good evening and welcome. It's...
*Caption: Dark Descender's Drunken Memoirs*
Well, to be honest, not really much happening in this ep. "What?!" I hear you cry. "We had a winning team, you knothead!" Yes, I know, but aside from that...let's see, shall we? We had a few run-ins with Malice, Corridor of Blades, and one of those blanking doors. Nothing overly exiting. Merlin took the usual few millenia to spellcast. Then the next lot began. Notice Pickle's impersonation of Killroy, I.E. shoving the advisor over to steal their seat. Not long till series 5 when we'll finaly get to meet that angular chap...
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

I think Pickle was helping the next team with the weeping doors. I couldn't help noticing him nod his head when the team decided the correct answer for the first riddle.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
morghannasmate
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by morghannasmate »

I've had a moan about it elsewhere so forgive me for saying it here aswell, but was there not a complete lack of danger in the final chamber of Dicken's quest? You don't go all that way just to encounter a flashing skull which just disappears! Should have given them the block and tackle like most of the others-their encyclopedia style knowledge couldn't have saved them there
"Chitter chatter, chitter chatter- I see you spies!" (Lillith series 1)
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

morghannas mate wrote: I've had a moan about it elsewhere so forgive me for saying it here aswell, but was there not a complete lack of danger in the final chamber of Dicken's quest? You don't go all that way just to encounter a flashing skull which just disappears! Should have given them the block and tackle like most of the others-their encyclopedia style knowledge couldn't have saved them there
I see your point, and no block and tackle did seem a little strange. However, some teams were just simply more lucky than others, throughout knightmare. Dicken's team were an excellent team though, and I've a feeling they would have kept calm enough to bypass the block and tackle, but we'll not know for sure.
Last edited by 123Pooka on 10 Sep 2004, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
ross
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by ross »

Dickens team were a good team.

I actually thought that Pickle sat next to the team cause they were so nervous.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Very quick and intelligent! These guys sure showed the rest how it's done...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

A great team, good at guiding, wonderful at ad-libbing and figuring dungeon stuff out, fantastic knowledge. That lead advisor could get a little over-analytical, but they were definitely a deserving win. Funny how much their quest resembled the last winning quest from S2 - guided by the jester throughout level 2, very few clue objects taken, a somewhat easy ride in level 3.
It's almost as if the production team decided to build a winning quest on the old template!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

We finally find out what happens if you pledge yourself to a baddy today. They leave, and then come back a room later asking you to confirm it. Hmm. Still, they traverse the CoB well enough.

They change their minds when Malice asks again, so she follows in the footsteps of Mogdred and crumbles the Blue Bridge of Beastliness. And then she's back again, in the form of a giant head! Makes it look like she's poking it through a hole in a miniature studio set. They destroy her with FIRE, and then that poison comes in handy after all, when they spellcast OPPOSITE, drink it, and the life force restores.

And from all that, we go to...another Bore Monster. Dooreen's the name, and out of interest, where did the stuff about needing three riddles to get past originate? Treguard didn't mention it (at least I didn't hear them), and I've only ever heard it on Knightmare.com. They get three anyway, though...

...and venture into a room with a floating skull and a certain crown propped up on an old statue. You'd think it'd be more elaborate, like having dancing showgirls and a big banner at the top saying "LOOK! IT'S THE CROWN!" with several arrows pointing to it, and flashing lights and sirens everywhere. Dickon picks it up, and...oh my god, he's exploded! Nope, just a special effect to confirm the victory!

"I've almost forgotten what to do next...I have forgotten what to do next!" Erm, you haven't done it before, Merlin (who has just entered the antechamber). He quickly 'remembers' (i.e. makes stuff up) and gives the team medallions, which probably say something like TREG FIXED IT FOR ME. Or I CRACKED THE CASTLE OF CONFUSION 1990. And off they go back to Torquay, probably as local heroes. Merlin goes back to the dungeon, probably searching for the nearest Thing That Constrains People.

"There's someone at the threshold!" There's also someone at the door - Jeremy, dungeoneer of the next team. Although they're 11 at the least, they look about 7, and they're from London. "Capital!" says Treguard, boom boom. Good job on the riddles, though. They seem to think a frog is a lizard, but since the question's "A frog is a reptile, True or False?" they get it right anyway.

Despite being brutally destroyed by Dickon 10 minutes ago, Malice suddenly appears in the Eye Shield room, which they think is the Shield. If so, it'd have been the easiest quest in Knightmare History...they might have just renamed the programme "Beat the Door Monster". Goody, Mistress Goody's there too.. I think that her, Milly, Molly, and Brother Silence should form a pop group, The Underrated of Series 4. Or just U4 for short.

And that's it for another episode. We zoom away from T&P, who probably then put their feet up, tuned the Magic Mirror into ITV, and watched Blockbusters.
Last edited by Billy on 16 Feb 2006, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Selphie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 4 last 3

Post by Selphie »

Woo winning team! ;D Have to agree that after their tense beginning and middle of level 3, having a door monster and then a final room with just a little haunting did feel like an anti-climax. Saving the final encounter for the final chamber would have been better imo, certainly the final encounters of S6 are a lot more exciting. I was dead impressed with the guiding through the corridor of blades, they were so calm. I remember watching this as a kid and squeaking really loudly covering my mouth because I was so nervous/excited that my mum had to come check some horrible accident hadn't befallen me!

I don't feel the team had it too easy, it seemed to me like an average difficultly quest but the team were brilliant and made it look easy. The older teams normally do better because they have better general knowledge and tend to be less overexcited (note my choice of words, they're still excited and still enjoying it; they have to to be a good team).

I liked their role-playing with the brandy and Brother Mace, that scene makes me giggle when I watch it even now :). I'm not sure I liked that they had to carry that bottle all the way through level 1 and most of the way through 2 before they could use it, so it limited the scenarios they could have because they had to hold onto it for so long. Maybe having the bottle described to them and then picking it up in level 2 would have been better. Moving to the self contained level arcs in the later series was a good move I think.

The thought crossed my mind that if the production team had been less forgiving they could have killed them off when they agreed to pledge themselves to Malice. That she just disappeared for a room seemed pretty lucky to me. I remember watching this in 1990 and having such a sinking feeling that they'd made the wrong choice and something bad was going to happen as a result. Fortunately it didn't :).
A revolution without dancing isn't a revolution worth having.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 4 Episode 13

Post by Drassil »

Tom41 wrote: Unusually, Hordriss didn't do anything about the skull that was floating around!
It sounded like he was planning, once Dickon had left, to plunge the room into darkness to deal with the haunting - or for some other mysterious purpose. Maybe he just didn't want to mangle any more Latin with listeners around.
Tom41 wrote:Malice appeared on the bridge ... and asked if Dickon wanted to pledge allegience forever to her. They said no, so Malice decided to crumble the bridge.
"Let's see if you can survive a fatal fall."

Which would make it a non-fatal fall. Silly Malice.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 4 - Episode 13

Post by Canadanne »

Why is there a random goblin horn after Dickon picks up the Crown? It's odd how nobody even mentions it, and he doesn't appear to be in any danger at all! (Perhaps it might have added more tension to the scene, if Merlin had to rescue him before the goblins turned up.) It's almost like someone pressed the wrong button by accident. Is it supposed to be a fanfare, and that was the only sound effect they had available?? Or is it some kind of security alarm that doesn't matter because they already defeated Malice?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Jeremy deserves credit for co-ordinating his outfit and hairstyle with the antechamber.
Jeremy.JPG
Jeremy.JPG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 15122 times
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

An exciting episode, with the first winning team for two series. Yay! :)
It started with the arrival of Hordriss to redeem their pact. He gifted them two spells: "FIRE" & "OPPOSITE".
Next was the arrival of Malice. >:D They half-heartedly agreed to be her subjects.

Then into the dreaded corridor of blades and a textbook example of how to deal with it. Their instructions were calm and clear and Dickon reacted quickly. Great shot of lead-advisor Tim when the last blade had passed. Even tho they didn't panic, you can see the tension in his expression. I bet his pulse was 100+ right then.

Onto the chasm-bridge and the return of Malice. This time they rejected her outright and Dickon had to rush for the far side before the bridge collapsed. In the next room she appeared once more, but they got their retaliation in first with the "FIRE" spell. Malice disappeared screaming. 8-o
Yet more danger. They needed food immediately. Advisor Prav suggested using the "OPPOSITE" spell on their bottle of poison, which worked nicely. Great thinking! :)
Their final challenge was the door-monster Dooreen (her only appearance) and again they did excellently with 3/3. (A total of 9/9 in their quest.) Thru the drawbridge and into the final room where they evaded a haunted skull and collected the CROWN. :) :)

Team 6 seemed a likeable team and they really deserved to triumph. :) The way they handled their quest reminded me a bit of Mark's winning team from S2. They were very calm and competent throughout and even early on they looked like potential winners.

Team 7 had a hard act to follow.
Jeremy produced an agile jump off the spindizzy to land safely after he was told to jump too late!
They scored 3/3 against Dooris.
In the next room they found a witch with her enchanted broom and a (rapidly recovered) sorceress. Great line from Treguard: "A sorceress called Malice and a witch called Goody. One is well named, the other is not." >:-] Noticeable that Malice claims to be tolerably well aquainted with Merlin. Presumably on her lighter-grey days. They accepted her offer of a pact to redeem a silver chalice in exchange for her help and received the eye-shield just as the bell sounded.

Nice touch having the pictures of the winning team and the crown on the closing credits. :)
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
asrl07
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by asrl07 »

These knightmare baddies remind me of Bond villains. Instead of taking an immediate opportunity for a face-to-face guarenteed killing of the hero, they come up with an over-complex method which has a significant chance of failing, purely because of their need to gloat.