Series 3 - Episode 4

Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 - Episode 4

Post by Fidjit »

I must admit I do often wonder what rooms would follow beyond had teams have not died where they did. I'm probably going to assume in this case that Simon would have retrieved the third step from the raven had he have cleared the Cavern Range.

With that in mind, he would've met Merlin quite late in this level, there wouldn't be many rooms left to explore before hitting the transition to level three
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Mystara wrote: 05 Jul 2007, 20:47 In the room when Hordriss appears, does one of the advisors swear? The one in the middle I think, uses a modification of the word fork :)
I would love to believe this is true, but I think it may be Deborah on our left saying "Mark, you direct him."
Fidjit wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 23:14 He would've met Merlin quite late in this level, there wouldn't be many rooms left to explore before hitting the transition to level three
That's a good observation. Of the six teams that reached 'Death Valley II' a.k.a. the caverns in Series 3 (Teams 2, 3, 4, 6, 10 and 11), Team 3 is the only team that hadn't met Merlin beforehand. That is strange in itself.

I would speculate that the manifestation of Hordriss' face was meant to be a prelude to a proper introduction to him later in the same quest, and that that encounter was carried over to the next quest.

Hordriss' isolated appearance in this quest meant he was named in the end credits before he was named on screen. Mellisandre and Morghanna shared this distinction. This would have intrigued many young watchers, adding to the richness of Series 3.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Indeed sir. I do like trying to piece together the remnants of the quests that failed on level two. Interestingly, I've just compiled a list of rooms and tunnels in level two from the three longest quests of this series and discovered a correlation. The Cavern Range, I technically count as one room even though there are three and the number of rooms counts the Spindizzy too

Leo:
Rooms: 9
Tunnel: 4

Ross:
Tunnel: 2

Martin:
Tunnel: 5

Simon:
Rooms: 3
Tunnel: 1

So we can only assume that the following room after the Cavern Range would have to yield the third step clue. Considering they had two already 'cat' and 'dog', it would only seem fitting that the raven would give them the third clue, presumably 'bird' before going onto Merlins' chamber, which by the time they leave there would be four rooms remaining which includes the mining cart tunnel. The Corridor of the Catacombes is typically met in level two also along with the Twist Room (though this room never appeared in Leo's quest), so that could potentially leave one or two remaining.

It could be conceivable that this team were destined to claim the SWORD spell to use on Hordriss, but maybe the production team decided to implement it into Leo's quest after Simon failed. I couldn't imagine what other magic they could use on Hordriss without humiliating him in the process. Perhaps a FREEZE spell? Who knows
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Re:Series 3 Episode 4

Post by HStorm »

Mystara wrote: 05 Jul 2007, 20:47 In the room when Hordriss appears, does one of the advisors swear? The one in the middle I think, uses a modification of the word fork :)
https://youtu.be/NsbMSIIDjqs?t=256

Around 4 minutes 18 seconds. If you turn the volume up, the middle advisor definitely drops the f-bomb.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Such rudeness. Then again several years later Bhal-Shebah would say the word "smart-arse" bold as brass with no shame or remorse :D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Tom41 wrote: 14 Jul 2004, 20:15 After getting through the Corridor of Catacombs (moving wall), they met Mellisandre again in the wellway room. There was an axe above the wellway
If only Mellisandre while there had referred to that halberd, warning Leo that it had not only an axe head but also a sharp spike, he could have replied:

"A good point, well maid."
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.