Series 1 - Episode 7

Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Hold Your Breath!

Post by Ironlord »

P*ssCloud wrote: Series 1 and someone's going to the next level down the well. He lifts one leg over the side, holds his nose and goes down! Barmy ;D
Someone remind me... at any stage over the eight series, did any dungeoneer jump or fall into any (simulated) water?

The shark tank from series 3 that I have vague memories of doesn't count, as I'm assuming they didn't jump into it.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
keeds
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 1 - Episode 7

Post by keeds »

Sorry to bring this up after a long time, but I watched the video of this episode over the weekend and the team clearly knew what to do in the clue-room. As Richard entered, the advisor in the middle clearly said "I have seen this room before" to suggest that the team had seen the recording of the first quest, and knew what to do!
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

watching the ep. it feels like series 1.5- the pace feels like series 2 but has the style of series 1.
Last edited by TomDread on 14 Jul 2006, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

BillyH wrote: Today's episode was all about seconds- this was the SECOND time a snake was shown to roll out on the floor, the SECOND time the serpent's stomach appeared, the SECOND time Treguard said 'Ooh, nasty' and the episode ended in the SECOND level.

i think it was also the SECOND time a catacombite room was used and the SECOND time 2 food objects were in a clue room.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

TomDread wrote: watching the ep. it feels like series 1.5- the pace feels like series 2 but has the style of series 1.
Definitely agree there - by that time they had obviously found their feet. In fact, I thought that team was in series 2 until I found this site (nearly five years ago!) and was able to see the episode guides.
Subject to change.
masterg
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by masterg »

hi masterg here

my favrote part in this episode was the insult contest bettween cedric and folly
hello knightmare fans and happy new year
DanTheSpellcaster
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DanTheSpellcaster »

"Well, there's only one way out of this, well two actually, but we won't go into that!"

I found two things funny in this episode:

a) The duel of insults with Cedric and Folly.
b) When Richard held his nose when climbing into the well.
Spellcasting - C E L E B R A T E
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 1 - Episode 7

Post by Canadanne »

I love the middle advisor's hilariously bizarre suggestion for the beaver riddle: "Could be a swordfish, 'cos it cuts down trees"...!! LOL what??
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Re:Hold Your Breath!

Post by Pooka »

Ironlord wrote:Someone remind me... at any stage over the eight series, did any dungeoneer jump or fall into any (simulated) water?

The shark tank from series 3 that I have vague memories of doesn't count, as I'm assuming they didn't jump into it.
One dungeoneer did jump into the shark tank, but only after they had emptied it of water. I do remember dungeoneers climbing out of the water in that room though.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldarion »

The insult contest, we all agree, is a television classic!

The dark monster in the corridor - I guess the primitive CGI ensured it could never be any more convincing as a threat than the toadodile of Series 2-3. Shame - there's the germ of a good secondhand idea there. Doesn't it remind one of another "fierier" creature that appeared at the end of a long corridor (in the film, not the book) and was initially almost invisible?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Um, I think Totodiles* (or "toadodiles" as you say) were part of Virtually Impossible. There were toads in KM, but I can't recall any of them before S3.

*[EDIT: I've just realised that Totodile is a Pokémon, and therefore probably not exactly the right spelling! Yikes.]
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The toadodile was in the green incarnation of the Great Corridor of the Catacomb in S2. Folly and Cedric both had to stop and "fight it off" (even though it wasn't really moving anyway) on behalf of dungeoneers.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

The first time I watched this, I never noticed how Richard's advisors say "right" every other word, but after hearing Spoony take the piss out of it in his review, I can't NOT notice it now! The Catacombite encounter must have been particularly confusing for the poor dungeoneer: "Take a step to the right! RIGHT! Right! Right, walk forward! Right, turn left! Right, walk forward! Right, turn right! Right, now walk forwards! No, right! Turn right! Right, walk forward! Right, stop! Turn left! Walk forward slowly. Right, turn round, to your right. Right, walk forward. Go on, that's right!" It gets reeeeally irritating after a while. *g*
Billy wrote:Was that the most pointless 'I command you' hint ever, though? The first hint was basically 'Don't take the key or the fish', and the 'I command you' one was basically 'Take the gold and the soap'...
To be fair, it was a bit more useful than that - they were specifically told to give Lillith the gold and keep the soap for later. Lillith said she would accept anything as a gift on this occasion, so they could have messed up if they decided to give her the less valuable item.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Always love the corridor room, always looks great, and Folly shows us why he was the best jester in the series.

The insult stuff was clearly a 'time waster' they had to fill up the last episodes without a team getting killed or even winning. Pretty much giving the team a free ticket, same with the well spell. I always thought the boy was making sure his helmet didn't fall off as he climbed in and not 'holding his nose' (unless he thought it was a real well?)

Looks like with got our first 'Password' next episode.

And I Hate that snake. it looks so out of place in the dungeon.
But everyone loves that giant skeleton creature... awesome, although their life force should have ran out they took so long and pretty much walked into it.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Canadanne - That's very true. In a parallel universe that could have been their death, imagine Treguard saying "Oh dear, team. What a pity you gave Lillith the soap instead of that silly bar of gold. Now it looks like you're doomed to digestion!" and the life-force death sequence appearing!

The insult sequence is an interesting one looking back. In the past when I've viewed it I've just thought "Lol funny" and took it as a fun bit of diversion, but watching it today in the context of one episode a week, ala 1987 (even the 2004 Challenge repeats were daily) it's so bizarre and brings what was initially a strongly-paced and energetic episode to a screeching halt. It does literally seem just an excuse for a bit of end-of-series fun and a way for Lawrence Werber and Alec Westwood to really get to exercise their acting skills, along with Hugo getting a rare opportunity for humour with his commentator spiel and Tim's first chance to write some major character interplay. Closest we've had so far are a couple of Merlin/Casper interchanges and Olgarth making digs at Granitas and vice versa, but here it's like everyone's gone "Screw it, this might be the only series so let's go crazy at the end". Can you imagine this happening later on in the series' lifespan? Imagine the fury if Barry's quest in S7 came to an abrupt end thanks to the seven-minute Hordriss and Grimaldine fireball scene! It's like an online fanfic before such things existed :p

They have had a bit of an easy ride to be honest, avoiding the Cedric riddles and haven't really had any tricky challenges so far. Perhaps with the end of the series imminent, they needed at least someone to get to level 3 to actually prove it exists and to be fair they're one of those brilliantly loud and excitsble teams that are always watchable. Definitely agreed with the 'Series 1.5' comment made a few years back!