Early let-offs

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Early let-offs

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Why do you think that there seem to be a lot of 'letoffs' if a team would die very early on? We know that in the case of series 3, team 1 that it was because the next team had not arrived at the studios, but does that matter? The programme was not live, so why could thay have not just waited until the next team have arrived before continuing filming? Somebody here mentioned the possibility that Akash's team in series 2 were let off when they encountered the troll and got given the TRUTH spell - i.e. it was added in afterwards because they otherwise got all the wall monster questions wrong. One possible letoff is shown for the first ever winning team in the stained-glass window room, and that was in level 3! (I think the production team were desperate for a winning team there)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Early let-offs

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Hmm, I just posted on this on the related thread. There, I hope I argued that it still matters if you have nothing being filmed- tight deadlines, etc. Hmm, an analogy. I mean, if you're running a life force quiche factory, it's not "LIVE", but you still have deadlines to meet and people to pay. Theoretically, we could stop the machines and take a day or two off, but why should I pay all the workers for that time lazing around? Why should I pay the rent on my factory for all the time wasted when I could just switch the machines on? Add to the analogy that perhaps someone needs to use the factory after me, and that my workers and associates have other jobs they need to go to when they're done making quiches for me. Surely it makes sense, in that case, to carry on producing whenever legally possible (remember that they wren't allowed to make the kidsies "work" too long at a time and often the production process was slow, having to do a scene every few hours because of technical limitations).

So, if the next team hasn't arrived yet, you carry on with the current one. Oh, and another answer in some questions is the one you raise yourself, the urge to find a winning team, at least in each series.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 09 Nov 2003, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

Team 2 in Series 4  - I think this team were let off because in the first room with the revolving disk to choose their path, they step off the disk but the dunioneer stumbles slighty and seems to step off the edge too(Listern closely and you can hear what seems to be a thud on the floor too) which suggests they were let off

Team 8 in Series 4 - I think this team were let off in the corridor of blades probably to fill more time in the episode, watch the episode closely and its quite clear 2 blades clearly catch him and should kill him, but I think because they were the last team to appear in the series, they were let off just to fill up the rest of the episode because lets face it it would have been pointless to introduce a new team who would have only been on there for less than 5 mins. I even think they were let off in the room before the Blades as one of the haunted skulls seems to catch him too.

Team 3 in Series 3 - I have a feeling this team was let off early in the bomb room, It seems that a split second before they leave the room, It does explode so it should still kill him??

Thats all the ones that come to mind
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dunshelm »

i think team 3 from series 3 were let off in the 'path before the Vale of Vanburn too', they sidetracked well off the path because the camera was filming the advisors and they were saying sidestep right again and again, and when it went back to him, to his left there was the dark patch, where team 1 bought it.
- A distinctly magical fashion and therefore somewhat unreliable
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Team 8 in Series 4 - I think this team were let off in the corridor of blades probably to fill more time in the episode, watch the episode closely and its quite clear 2 blades clearly catch him and should kill him, but I think because they were the last team to appear in the series, they were let off just to fill up the rest of the episode because lets face it it would have been pointless to introduce a new team who would have only been on there for less than 5 mins. I even think they were let off in the room before the Blades as one of the haunted skulls seems to catch him too.
With this one, discussion in another thread (http://www.talkknightmare.co.uk/forum/y ... 036;start=)turned to this and Tim Child (posting as beveryafraid) said that the production team had to make an instant decision in these cases, and here they gave the team the benefit of the doubt because it was so borderline.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Series 4 Team 8 - the same can be said for Series 7 Team 7!

On the subject of early-lets offs, Series 6 Team 6 forgot to pick up the lantern in the Level 1 clue room but still blundered through the dark dwarf tunnel and eventually got as far as Level 3!
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Series 3 Team 9 has just sprung to mind. Like Series 3 Team 1, they stepped into the quicksand area in the green valley, but unlike the latter, didn't sink down.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary