Treguard on Children's ITV 14/11/1988 and his other costume

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Treguard on Children's ITV 14/11/1988 and his other costume

Post by Drassil »

A short clip has emerged of Hugo Myatt, as Treguard, appearing on Children's ITV on Monday 14th November 1988 to announce the winners of the Design a Dungeon Room competition. I'll leave you to track it down in an obvious video sharing place, enjoy it and then return here so I can be dull about it.

There's one feature I want to comment on. I believe it's the first known appearance of the alternative Treguard costume: the outfit he never wore in a TV episode, but that seemed to have been created for publicity and offscreen Treguard appearances.

He can also be seen wearing this costume in:

David Hawtin's photo of Hugo and his motorbike, as published in the first issue of The Quest (1991) and his interview in Suffolk Norfolk Life magazine (2020);

His Knightmare Live stage appearances, including the 2016 show featured in Red Bull's Screenland documentary;

The YouTube Geek Week episode of Knightmare in 2013 - making the outfit 'canon' 25 years on.

Presumably it is the same costume each time, well looked after since the 1980s, possibly by Hugo himself throughout that time.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Treguard on Children's ITV 14/11/1988 and his other costume

Post by Mystara »

Given that the costume was somehow available for Hugo to do interviews, I do wonder whether it's a costume owned by Hugo himself.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

It's what he wore at the Worcester convention too that me and Lyn/Matt saw him in last year so I expect so.
DuxBellorum
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DuxBellorum »

Yes, I've always liked this look for Treguard.

While his costume changed every couple or series or so, I think this 'alternative' costume gave us a glimpse of another side of the character.

Perhaps this was how he dressed during his 'time off' from hosting Quests...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

The costume's latest appearance is in the video for Basil Brush's Christmas charity single Boom! Boom! It's Christmas Again. Treguard appears about 7 minutes in.

Hugo Myatt and Tim Child are thanked in the end credits.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Spotted this too, not sure why he's advocating Mr Brush take the left hand path tho! ;)