Scariest Monsters

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Scariest Monsters

Post by MoanaLiza »

Well it mainly depends when/how they appear/are present. It's basically most monsters appearing all of a sudden with that certain type of scary/haunting music that makes your heart race. I think that the main thing out of the lot which scared me most of all was the goblin warning sound. It stuck in my head ever since I first watch series three back in 1989 and is one of those things I kind of asociated KM with above most other things that I remember from back then. It's funny those little things that you remember mainly and clearly!
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yeah, the moment the hobgoblin first appeared is the moment I most remember from originally seeing S3.

Again, gotta be admitted when rewatching it nowadays that the danger of the pursuit would be almost imperceptible if it weren't for the conviction with which Hugo Myatt cries out his warnings.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I always found the season 2 Automaton pretty nasty, especially when I first saw it in 1988.  There is something about a Mindless Warrior which has an extra point on the fear factor.

I found the season 3 skulls to be quite haunting too, with the music that accompanied them.  You always knew danger was near when that started.  :-X
Last edited by Kieran on 04 Jan 2004, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It's a funny thing about the S3 hauntings, but I always found them a lot scarier than the "enhanced" ones from the later seasons. I think the sound effect in S3 was just a lot more ethereal.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It was the music that they appeared with, along with the actual look of them.  They do look heavily dated today of course, but the skulls actually looked pretty nasty.

Compared to the 'chattering teeth' S4 skulls and the S6 'stormgeists' which looked a bit silly (although had a fairly good sound effect), they do a lot more to scare you.

The sword, also from S3, had that nasty sound that accompanied it each time.  It was the sound of danger, unlike chattering teeth...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yeah I think that's it. Rather than sounding scary, the later ones sounded scared.

It also didn't help that the later ones were usually found in chambers brightly lit by daylight flooding in through enormous windows, giving the impression that it was nothing more macabre than a special stately home episode of Through The Keyhole, but don't get me started on the whole "outdoors" thing or I'll be here for days.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Oh yes, and the sword/axe spells from S3 were the scariest of all. I can honestly say they completely freaked me out back in '89, especially with that ethereal shimmering sound that accompanied them, although again it looks pretty cartoon-y in these days of Star Wars special editions.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I think the original Pooka looked fairly good outdoors, and they had a nice sound to them, too.

Saying that, the daft carrot-like Pooka of S6 were....Simply daft, no other word for them.

The glum setting on S3 also helped, within deep, dark caverns, to be attacked by a nasty looking skull...rather than being sat in a bed of lavender and having a very cold sounding skull float around the brambles.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

The Ghost Scorpian of S2-3 Had its moments to.

At least it un-nerved me.

But then againe I HATE SCORPIANS all most as much as spiders.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

You do? I was going to get a pet scorpion  :) and a corn snake and rainbow boa and pirahnas (theyre so cute)
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It was unsettling in S3, but a wasted room in S2 because of the careless geometry. All the team had to was get the dungeoneer to walk to the right wall and they'd be out of its reach all the way past.

In S3 they'd removed a couple of slabs from the floor, which made it a lot more awkward. However, even then it turned out not to be that big a deal. One team got hit by the tail and it took about three seconds off the life force clock. Practically harmless.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Snowwie don't be so horrible to Skarks. He's already had the heartbreaking news this week that Stephanie Hesp is already married. Making fun of him for being a bit of a wuss about scorpions would be really cruel, so you shouldn't do it.

Well not much anyway.
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Actually I was telling the truth. I like all scary animlas accept for certain spiders. The big hairy ones are nice, but I cant stand the slimy looking ones.
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Do you find Ariadne cute then?

I feel another new thread is imminent, folx. "Which KM monster did you find the CUTEST?" Sound good?
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

I Know whos The worst Monster on This Forum.

But I'm not going to name names *Cough* Snowwiewolf*Cough*
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY