Where am I?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Selphie85
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Where am I?

Post by Selphie85 »

it's probaly just me but when ever a dungoneer walks into a room the always ask "where am I?" this is fair enough but the team always start with, "your in a room" well duh of course they are. if they were in a corridoor then they wouldn't stop so why do they always say it. that's just something that annoys me and i wanted to check if anyone felt the same.
I'm not a midget. you're just really far away!
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Where am I?

Post by MoanaLiza »

There not always in a room though such as in series three when they are at the beginning of the long green cavern path or in the Serpents stomach etc. But I do agree that it they do not always need to keep asking and being told where they are. Also it would probably be easier to get on with the tasks straight away when it's obvious what needs to be done, instead of wasting time explaining, i.e. if they're in a bomb room or there's food infront of them, etc.
Last edited by MoanaLiza on 29 Jun 2003, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Werewolf
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Werewolf »

Yes, but thats all part of the Knightmare charm...

"You're in a room"

*long pause*

"its green"

*pause*

"walk forward"

I can imagine the team's surprise when, in series four, they got to say

"You're in a forest!!"

Must've been a big culture shock.
Assassins do it from behind
Selphie85
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Selphie85 »

i surposse they're not always in a room. but it takes so much time. i'e in the dice room it goes:-
"where am I"
"your in a room, there's a table with a die on it"
"yes i can see the table"
whispers- "do you think that we should roll it "
presenter (ok i don't know his name)-"roll it team and choose your path"
"roll the dice"
couldn't thay just roll the damn dice!
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Treguard never says it that simple...

"Team, this is a game of chance, and there is no way to learn your chances unless you take one."

That's more Treguardish.
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Selphie85
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Selphie85 »

hey i'm only learning. exams coupled with a bad memory mixed with only re-discovering knightmare on about tuesday. but i'm trying  ;D
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

If they didn't discribe the room to the dungoneer then he for a start isnt going to enjoy the game, Also he does need to know whats awates his so he don't make any sudden movments.

But i just wish they could explane them selfs better. how hard is it do say 'their is a hole to the left of u'  and they DON'T need to tell them the color of the walls and floor and how many titles are on the flood and if merlin has a night cap on.  ::)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Myatt
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Myatt »

This is my first post in an extremely long time so congratualate me!

In series 1-3 if a dungeoneer ended up in the monsters stomach, they were infact be correct each time cos the adviser would always reply " Your in a womb" !!!!!  ;D
AstroFaaaaarm!
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hey Matt! Nice to have you back posting with us.
Hmm.. yes, the pun was quite distinct. As I remember, especially in S3, Team 6 were 'accidentally' drawn into the snake tongue stomach, but at least had the means to escape, whilst another team actually thought it wise to deliberatly head down that route, and luckily only got the Leo 'stomach tunnel' to walk along.

Still, as for the 'in a womb' - it was just a little Jonathan Ross syndrome? PS> Matt.. night-cap sound a good idea for Season 6?
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Isint it a bit Odd that the team who went in the snake has the egg to get out?  if they didnt get in then the egg would be pointless, And how come one team was able to walk down a 'snalke tunnel' while the others wasnt able to?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Werewolf
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Werewolf »

Maybe the snake had taken a laxative that day?

*gratuitous, ill-thought out post to see if I go up a rank*
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Hmm very odd is that, maybe they went down a different pipe to get to where....well the erm end.

'Posted by: Werewolf       Posted on: Today at 4:51pm

*gratuitous, ill-thought out post to see if I go up a rank*;'

And here is me thinking people only posted here if they had something they wanted to say....Hmm.

As for the 'where am I' bits, S4 was always wrong, for when they were in a forest it would always be 'you are in a room', v rarely proper description.  But vanished for later seasons, wonder why.
Last edited by Kieran on 29 Jun 2003, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

*gratuitous, ill-thought out post to see if I go up a rank*
Hmm.. I do question what use this ranking system has other than to encourage the *gratuitous* and *ill-thought out*. I'm ashamed I waste one of mine in reponse to such a post. All very well the one-off posts of this nature, but when plenty think along similar lines, it fills the forum full of rubbish.

I'm not meaning to be unpleasant, not by any means - lots of posts means lots of reading. However, I feel that my waiting for a relevant topic and writing longer and more insightful pieces is worthless when one's main aim is to acquire stars alongside one's name (in Hordriss fashion). Think about it, chaps.

To get to another point. I found it better, through editing and whatever, when the dungeoneers constantly prompted for the first 10 mins of their quest or so/first few rooms, for description of where they were. Then later on, if time was pressing or whatever, they just let their advisors describe as much or little as necessary.. just pointing to the essentials.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Werewolf
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Werewolf »

Certainly, I agree that gratuitous spam should be discouraged. Indeed, I have seen many forums where large amounts of space are used up by postings that amount to nothing more than *bump* followed by long and excessively detailed signatures. However, I do believe that single line postings making a trenchant observation, possibly inserting some comment on the text, or a witty remark, can be used as banter to lighten up the mood of the forum, and allow for welcome breaks between long postings. While it may be frustrating for a person, such as RedMage, who obviously  watches these forums like a hawk, to see many single line posts on his favourite topic, this should not be used as an excuse to discourage people from making any form of contribution to a discussion. It just wouldn't be fun visiting here otherwise (and it IS fun  ;))

Moving on, I usually find that it can sometimes be amusing to see variations in the style of the team's descriptions, notably in the dice room of series 3. I think one team even started to describe the shape of the table before Treguard interrupted? It does get frustrating after a while, however, and its nice to see the emphasis on speed and narrative in the later stages rather than the slow, plodding, descriptive learning curve employed in the first few rooms. Although, I agree with Mephisto, the dungeoneer should be given a chance to take part in the fantasy as much as possible. Otherwise they'd probably just lose the will to continue.

*watches post counter bump up*
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

One thing that made me laugh was the quest in S3 with the youngsters on!

They actually went on to describe how the decor of the clue room was!

"Your in a room with red, no, orange and blue tiles!"
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com