An Art Competition to drum up support for KM DVD's.

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

An Art Competition to drum up support for KM DVD's.

Post by BBrooks »

Hi all,
This has more than likely already been mentioned on here recently but what if knightmare.com held an Art Competition over a certain amount of months where we (i.e) Paint,Sketch or Digitally create our own DVD cover's for KM.

Not only would this be a fun thing for us all to do, but it would show the DVD distributers (if we get hundreds of entry's) that Knightmare is a show that the public want to see again, and it shouldn't be restricted to this forum,you could announce it on Twitter, Facebook and TV Nostalgia sites.

It really looks like KM will be finally released on DVD, and Mystara mentioned about raising awareness and support for it. I find this as one of the best ways of doing that.

It would be a great thing for a KM fan holding a KM DVD with his artwork on it.

Tell me what you think.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: An Art Competition to drum up support for KM DVD's.

Post by Mystara »

In theory, I support this idea as I think it might help raise awareness.
However, it would have to be undertaken with the greatest of care:

1) I would disagree with the statement "It really looks like KM will be finally released on DVD". Furthermore, it would need to be made clear that there are no guarantees of such a thing occurring.

2) Any submissions would need to be accompanied by a signed waiver of all rights, including royalties. Sorry, but if the artists want royalties, the costs for production would be even higher and therefore there'd be even less chance of a DVD release occurring.

3) Submissions could not include screenshots of any aspect of the show.

4) It would need to be made clear that the DVD release is of second priority to internet-release and that one may happen without the other.

5) There'd be no guarantee that we'd use any submission.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

I fully understand all of the points you mentioned, and I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post.
But I would just like to point out;

1) When i said that "It really looks like KM will be finally released on DVD", I was just saying that after a few false alarms over the years, it looks like it might happen this time.

2) I fully understand about the royalties, but the competition could have a cash prize (i.e £100) for each winner and they would get a free copy of the DVD with his/her artwork on it and maybe (and this is only if the DVD's will have Special Features) the winner's would get a chance to record a Fan Commentary on selected episodes for each 8 series(and this would all be in with the prize).
This is something that I and i think a lot more fans would be perfectly happy with.

3) I also fully understand about not including Screenshots from the original shows, but there has been some great pieces of Fanmade Artwork on here over the years, and in my original post I said that the competition would involve us Painting, Sketching or Digitally creating our cover's so obviously using original Screenshots from the series wouldn't happen.
Fidjit recently created some Advertising banner's for the DVD's, which were really great and authentic looking, and that's the kind of thing I was thinking about.

4) If it becomes an internet-release then fans could Download either one of the winning entrys for which ever series, for a DVD cover for their discs.

I know this all sounds a bit Far-Fetched at this early stage but if this is done with the greatest of care as you said, then I think this could work.

I would like to know what everybody else thinks of this.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

2) I fully understand about the royalties, but the competition could have a cash prize (i.e £100) for each winner and they would get a free copy of the DVD with his/her artwork on it
If you're happy to provide the prizes, that's fine.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Well, if you do want everyone's thoughts, here are mine; they're all nice ideas, BBrooks, but as Mystara implies, that's only so long as you're not trying to be "generous with other people's money", as it were. Getting a release on DVD is very much going to put the onus on the fans rather than the TV companies, and that onus is looking pretty huge already.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

Mystara wrote:
2) I fully understand about the royalties, but the competition could have a cash prize (i.e £100) for each winner and they would get a free copy of the DVD with his/her artwork on it
If you're happy to provide the prizes, that's fine.
Well that's just the thing Mystara, I'm just a guy who's pitching an idea to raise support for the DVD's. The cash prize was just an example though, I mean picking a winner for each series means a loss of £800 (HOW MUCH) :D .

The winner's could instead get a T-shirt or Photograph signed by some of the original Knightmare cast (I could probably do that, as I have a few addresses (i.e)Michael Cule,Hugo Myatt,Edmund Dehn etc) and the DVD with their winning cover.

But this is all if the release actually goes through. If anything concrete comes up about the DVD's we could probably revisit this idea.

Thanks.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I don't really have much more to add.

If you want to pursue this, you're welcome to do so. If you want to create a website for it (or else promote it in the forums), I will link it to the main page, provided that you deal with the concerns I previously listed. If you are legally able to hand over all the rights of a winning entry for use as a DVD cover then that entry will be considered if and when the time comes.

The project itself and anything it entails will have to be your responsibility.

However:

While I think this is a good idea, I question whether resources might be better spent elsewhere. So far, less than 100 people have been sufficiently bothered about a DVD release to even say so on these forums. What proportion of those people do you suppose have the artistic talent and the time to create a product cover for which they will not be paid?

As other people have said, we need to do more to reach people that aren't already Knightmare fans, but will remember it. That's where we'll get a sufficient number of people from.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Any luck on the advertising video Paul? You did say you were going to try something...