Is it all dead?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is it all dead?

Post by Mystara »

The spikes occur around June 2003, January 2004 and May/June 2004.
In the first case, there was a Knightmare DVD petition, some preliminaries of KMVR and series 4 was being shown on Challenge.

I would suspect that the spikes coincide with KMVR information releases.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

That's a fascinating graph! I'd say the Jan 04 one was possibly due to events like Treguard on Dick and Dom in da Bungalow, the clips of the French/Spanish versions, and more Challenge series being announced. May/June 04 was during a massive influx of episode reviews as part of the new Challenge episodes.

Note also a tiny spike in early 2006...I think I'm partly responsible for that :-[ I wrote a MASSIVE load of episode reviews during this time as I recorded the final few Challenge repeats, by which time it was on at about 7am or something silly, so that may have a bit to do with it. Quite scary about how dead things suddenly go in late 2004 though, I still think of the 'golden age' lasting up to about the summer of 2006 but it's clear that it happened even earlier.
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Darren »

It's a real shame that the forums aren't as popular as they were, I think we have a responsibility to post here as much as we can. I'll try to do my best in posting, unfortunately there isn't a lot of us left now, and we have to respect that people are moving on and possibly even forgetting Knightmare. I predict in the next five years, they'll be very few of us here at all.

We do however need to keep ourselves focused! We all love Knightmare, and as long as we do, and we chat about it and keep the fire burning, then perhaps will come back. Remember, people will only be coming back if there is actual activity.
stevejd
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by stevejd »

Interesting stats. I do remember the first time I started lurking around here was about 2002... but there seemed to be a lot of people and sites reliving their childhoods with lots of programmes back then. Still no reason why Knightmare can't live and breath again, we just need to find that table with some food...
tiggy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by tiggy »

Just to offer my personal perspective, I was never a prolific poster for various reasons - other things got in the way like trying to live in the UK and work in another country and the crapper parts of life that although inevitable, unfortunately will come to some sooner rather than later :( I did pop in occasionally as a guest to read the forums on an irregular basis though. Since I first posted back in 2003 a lot has changed - the Challenge repeats have come and gone, KMVR the same and the future very uncertain. My life has changed a lot - I'm 30 now and I've got a job closer to home but I'm also married with two children under two 8-o therefore I have little time for much outside of family at the moment - note my posting times! I'm sure I'm not the only Knightmare fan with these circumstances...
So why did I pop back? Well, I guess I wanted closure on a couple of things:

1. New Knightmare
2. DVD/download release of the original episodes

Since Tim Child has gone to ground I did my own research and from what I found (see previous posts) point one will never happen in my opinion. Fair play to Tim, he's tried but it never got any backing. Risk adverse broadcasters and the recession have not helped matters but there is also the fact that TC is in his sixties now and may well have had enough and be ready for retirement. I'll share any new information that I find out here. As for point two, I'm not sure if the support is there - I'm not seeing the numbers on this forum or Facebook. It would be great to get a definitive yes or no answer (preferably yes). Here's hoping.

As for the future, what happens? I can't really see much to talk about bar new fan creations - nothing new is happening. That said, this site is fantastic and needs preserving, even if there is no new content. I was a big fan of Knightmare and it would be a huge shame for the memories to fade away.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

In answer to the Question "Is it all dead?" .
My answer is no, Knightmare still has a a lot going for it, they could repeat all those episodes again on CITV now and they would still be successful in my opinion. The show hasn't dated at all, (apart from some of the VR in series 7 and 8 and some of the Advisor's Haircuts) :D . And as Tim Child said on this site in Part 4 of The History of Knightmare, "Ironically, it is a time that is absolutely made for Knightmare, a gaming system that is now acknowledged as: ahead of its time."

I think the best thing to use as an example is "Doctor Who", after a Brief revival in interest in 1996 (just like we had with the Challenge Repeats and KMVR in 2002), TV Executives, fans and critics alike thought the show was Dead and Buried and that it would forever be residing in the BBC Archives as a Happy Memory of Sci-Fi Television gone by. But then the DVD's of the original episodes started being successful, and then in 2003 it was announced that the show would return, the impossible happened and it's now Bigger than ever.

I do believe that the same thing could happen to KM, maybe not now, maybe not in 5 years but someday. You've got to remember that a lot of TV Producer's, Writer's, Actor's, and Director's now, used to watch Knightmare when they were kids, and some member's of the original Teams who appeared on KM have since got into the TV Industry. Maybe this new generation might find it a good idea to revive the show. Russell T Davies was a lifelong Who fan and most of the DW crew now (Steven Moffatt, David Tennant, etc) are made up of fans of the original series.

We are currently going through something of a Revival craze with classic show's like Battlestar Galacticca, Blake's 7, Auf Wiedesehen Pet and Minder all returning to our screens, and even Kid's shows like Bagpuss, Rentaghost and Worzel Gummidge are rumoured to be making comeback's.

If nothing ever happen's then tiggy is right about this site, it does need preserving, it's something of a Time Capsule filled with Brilliant Memory's, and it would be a sad day indeed if this site was no longer on the Internet.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

Things have gone a bit quite around here lately, but there is a couple of things that I have been thinking of lately. One thing is I wish the Video clips of this site could be updated, as a lot of the clips are now badly out-of-date Real Media files from the Sci-Fi Channel repeats & quite poor quality. All these could now be changed to better quality clips or links to some ''YouTube'' videos. Also, maybe the ''Children's ITV'' section could be a bit updated too, now that's a bit more information about it's history available (thanks to the likes of ''Wikipedia'' etc). I have read on here that the webmaster wants to step down from running the site, which is a shame, but it would be good for someone else to take over & make a few improvements and minor tweaks here and there.

Also, what is happening re Tim Child's ''Something Stirs'' comment that he made on here last year? He said there would be something happening in either 2008 or 2009, but we're nearly at the end of 2009 now & we've heard nothing from him, so what was all that about? As for the DVD release, why not bypass that & go straight to Blu-Ray? There is far more room on a single Blu-Ray disc, so it wouldn't be as many discs for the full 8 series plus extras. Also, I would love a commentary or 2 from Tim Child & Hugo Myatt or any of the actors involved, or from any of the teams too. Or from the fans like what they do on the ''Red Dwarf'' fansite ''Ganymede & Titan''. Also, a nice few featurettes would be great too, with interviews from all the main people involved. Also archive footage, CITV appearances & trailers etc, behind-the-scenes footage & any other interesting stuff would be great to see too. So, I think Blu-Ray would be a good way to go for a retail release, and with the players coming down in price now rapidly (£100 in Asda now!), I think Blu-Ray will take off in the next year or 2. Also, it's great picture & sound quality too.

So, there's still plenty of stuff to discuss on here it seems!...
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Most of your questions have already been answered if you examine the individual threads.

In an effort to not move off-topic, I would suggest you re-post any other questions to the threads concerned.