Merlin and Hordriss

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Merlin and Hordriss

Post by Naitch »

Drassil wrote:
Naitch wrote: Looking back, its also a shame that considering the Arthurian current that runs through Knightmare that Merlin wasn't more of a powerful and serious character.
With no disrespect to that opinion, I feel differently. I always considered Merlin to be highly powerful: the way he would appear out of thin air, disappear into thin air, know a dungeoneer's name before they'd introduced themselves, hand out and cast all manner of spells, or deny a team life-saving help if they got a single riddle wrong, left me slightly awed as a child. (Except perhaps during Series 4.) As for (lack of) seriousness, I admire the way that John Woodnutt's portrayal of Merlin was at times comically bumbling and mischievously witty, as it added originality to a potentially hackneyed character, and continues to make enjoyable viewing for me. The BBC's new series has attempted something similar by making Merlin an adolescent, and a contemporary of Arthur.
For me, the best on screen portrayal of Merlin is Nicol Williamson in Excalibur.

Powerful, majestic, commanding yet at times still comical.

The bumbling yet still powerful Merlin in Knightmare seems lifted from the Merlin portrayed in T.H. White's The Once And Future King.

Don't get me wrong though, I did love what John Woodnutt brought to the character.

I just wish that Merlin could have been portrayed a bit more like the Merlin in Excalibur.

Merlin on the BBC is complete and utter rubbish in my opinion!

It seems that they have barley even glanced at the legend.

Avoid at all costs!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Naitch wrote: For me, the best on screen portrayal of Merlin is Nicol Williamson in Excalibur.
Agreed. In some ways, I think that the early Treguard resembles that version of Merlin, especially the voice. (Have you ever noticed how much he and Nigel Terry resemble Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker, by the way?)

The Merlin who appeared in Knightmare, to me, bordered on a stereotype. The absent-minded, elderly scholar, kindly but with an irritable streak. Not very original really. I wouldn't say it was John Woodnutt's fault especially - same way it wasn't his fault that Mogdred was such a bore - but there have been far more interesting versions of the character. In fact, I'd say Geoffrey of Monmouth's Merlin in The History Of The Kings Of Britain was more interesting, and that book's over eight centuries old!
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Naitch wrote: Merlin on the BBC is complete and utter rubbish in my opinion!

It seems that they have barley even glanced at the legend.

Avoid at all costs!
That's because they are not telling the legend, they are telling a new story, based on those classic characters, but the turn of events are not going to be the same. That's what I heard anyway. So there's no reason to avoid it at all costs if you are open minded and you don't expect it to be yet another retelling of the same old story.
Velvet
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Velvet »

I agree that Merlin was more powerful than he initially looked. After all, Treguard was always keen to show deference, and in one early season called him 'sir'.

Merlin is also rumoured to have lived backwards in time, so had the potential to be stronger than any normal human ever could: as we gain in wisdom, our bodies begin to slow down around us. I've no idea how 'old' (according to a backward life) Merlin was in Knightmare, but he always seemed wise enough, so he was only going to get more powerful.

But having said that, he was clearly a good man.

It's a shame Hordriss became good later on - he was a fun adversary, especially when he started insulting people :P
My sites:
How to Survive Your Teens
My fanfiction:
fanfiction here: Velvet D'Coolette @ fanfiction.net
PookasRule
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PookasRule »

I think it was Merlin's intention to appear bumbling and comical, so any potential enemies would be lured into a false sense of security. There was no mistaking his power though and he was a very useful and important ally to have. I was sad when Merlin left - John woodnutt brought so much to the character in addition to that of Mogdred.

But Hordriss was a more than worthy replacement. I liked the air of mystery around him initially - was he on the dungeoneer's side or not?
I'm a Mogdred fan!