Why don't they RUN when told?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Why don't they RUN when told?

Post by AriadnesLayer »

This is something that really bugs me.

Why do dungeoneers continue to walk at a snail's pace when their advisors are screaming "RUN!!" at them (usually when something dangerous has entered the room)?

The most annoying time, however, was in the Corridor of Blades. I think it was its final use in Series 8 and one of the characters (Stiletta?) had told the dungeoneer that to survive he must throw his body from wall to wall.

Despite this, and with advisors screaming "LEFT LEFT LEFT" and "RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT" the dungeoneer continues to take one sidestep at a time, at a leisurely pace.

You have to wonder if some of them had ever actually seen the show before.
Last edited by Anonymous on 15 Oct 2007, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Why don't they RUN when told?

Post by Billy »

It's probably a combination of panic and not understanding the whole "When I say run, run" idea. When you've got a helmet on your head and can only hear three screaming advisors, reaction time is stunted a bit, plus the dungeoneer would probably be worried of hitting the wall so hard he'd knock himself out.

That only applies to the less good teams, though. Some teams were absolutely perfect, take a look at Oliver's team in the last episode of Series 8 and there's some fantastic guiding during the Corridor of Blades, Anthony simply says "Left. Right. Duck" calmly and the dungeoneer responds immediately after every instruction. They'd clearly carefully practiced this before and it worked perfectly, which sadly some teams didn't seem to think of!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Ariadne's Layer wrote:Despite this, and with advisors screaming "LEFT LEFT LEFT" and "RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT" the dungeoneer continues to take one sidestep at a time, at a leisurely pace.

You have to wonder if some of them had ever actually seen the show before.
I know what you mean, but to be fair, in some cases (not the one you cite there, obviously) it must have been very confusing for the dungeoneer precisely because his advisors were all shouting at once. To take an example, I remember team 2 in season 4 were a classic case of everyone giving the same instructions at once - as though it would somehow make the instructions more effective if they were collectively shouted out loud - but ended up just drowning each other out.

Being a good team of advisors is an art, more so than being a good dungeoneer, I reckon.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Barry was very good in the CoB, recognising both the sound of the blades and his brother's urgent "sidestep to the right!". And he didn't just sidestep, he shuffled.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

The only teams really who could be forgiven in the COB are season 4 teams especially team 2 they were the very first people to enter the COB they had no idea what to expect at all.

Everyone else should have done homework after that series.