lord fear, castle, Pools and knights

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

lord fear, castle, Pools and knights

Post by Purgatory »

wich castel of his did u like the most? i remember him haveing 2, can u remember the names of them?

also, His "pool" thing and the "big screen"  i liked the screen he was able to do much more during them than just sit their.

one of the things i loved about his castel (cant remember wich one) was them fright knights running up and down the sides, as far as i can remember they never did anything else did they? i dont recall seeing them in action?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: lord fear, castle, Pools and knights

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I think in Seasons 5 & 6 he was in plain old "Mount Fear", though the views we had of him were different. In Season 5 the Frightknights (who I remember seeming almost ghostlike) raced backwards and forwards behind Lord Fear. In Season 6 they went up and down the side; I guess it's this that you remember.

In Season 7 he moved to the Black Tower of Goth, and then in Season 8 Marblehead. It was in that final season he got his knice knew video wall. (BTW, he had a crystal ball in Season 5.)

And no, the Frightknights didn't do anything apart from race around near Lord Fear, unless the knight on the Transporter Pad puzzle in Season 4 is technically a Frightknight (I can't remember whether it was referred to as such.) In any case, it just stood there and waved a sword around.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Nope, it was always referred to as a Knight, never a Frightknight, although I can see the confusion - as it appeared mindless, and didn't really have a personality. I guess it could be seen as a sort of Automatum replacement in that sense!

No team encountered the Frightknights as such, but they were present at every causeway in series 6 - remember? ;D

My favourite was Mount Fear. I liked the Frightknights in the background, they really added to the atmosphere - made it more - well - fearsome.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

The Frightknights didn't feature at every cause way, there were two in Series 6 where they didn't feature  ::)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

dont remember seeing them at a cause way,
and i forgot about the crystal ball..

are they pic round the site showing the 3 castels? inside and/out?  yes im being lazy but last time i went hunting all over the site for something that want there lol.. so im asking

now i understand he was not in the early eps.. but can u remember the story line from wich he show up? the 1st seasons didnt really have a big bad guy and then all of a sudden fear shows up, unless i have missed something?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Well in the early series there was really no 'Arch-villain' although Mogdread personified wickedness - however Treguard did not have a side really, the dungeoneers were more neutral in my view although they were more likely to be helped by Merlin and the sight of light.
However, in series 4 Pickle joined and through his talk with Treguard there was more of an emphasis on the fight against the powers of evil. So I'm guessing there needed to be more of a focus on evil at that point and what more apt way of doing so than to bring in Lord Fear the following series (though why they got rid of Merlin and Mogdread I'll never know - I guess John Woodnutt just moved on!)
Last edited by Pooka on 25 Nov 2002, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Ah, so it was just a knight. I checked on this site after posting and it has it down as a Frightknight. LOL. :P

My brain had completely misplaced the Frightknight timers. Thanks for the reminder.

Purgatory, if you go to the Series Guides on this site you'll find sime links to stills and videos that feature Lord Fear's different environments.

Actually, the early Seasons did have a "big bad guy". He only got mentions in Series 1, but then appeared to terrorise dungeoneers in Series 2-4. His name was Mogdred, and he was pretty evil. ;)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

series (though why they got rid of Merlin and Mogdread I'll never know - I guess John Woodnutt just moved on!)
In his History of Knightmare, Tim Child says that by the end of Series 4 he thought the whole Merlin/Mogdred scenario had run its course. I think he also said he'd always found it derivative, which of course it was! I guess he made the decision that it was time for something original.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Can't help but disagree. Everything is derivative - if we had no derrivation, there would be no... nothing. Knightmare was a medieval fantasy, so I think the inclusion of Merlin and Mogdread was the right thing! Ah well.
And although Mogdread was very, very, very evil, I can;t help but say that he was Merlin's arch-rival, not Treguard's... I think he just killed off dungeoneers for fun.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I think you're probably disagreeing more with TC than me. I just stated that it was derivative. I don't think I said it was too derivative in my view.

Anyway, here's what he said:
"The Merlin/Mogdred scenario was exhausted (in any case I had always found it annoyingly derivative) and I was convinced that the drama game engine of Knightmare must be driven by a really solid baddy."

I think I personally agree with you. I thought Mogdred was extremely effective, although perhaps all things have their shelf life.  I occasionally thought the humour value in Lord Fear's scenes were pushed slightly too far, whereas Mogdred was so much more serious.  

I especially agree on Mog. being Merlin's enemy. I liked the idea of Treguard having some neutrality, so he could have a few "evilish" moments. Mogdred just killing dungeoneers for fun, as you put it, makes him sound more powerful too. If the villains' sole aim was to kill the kidsies, some of them made pretty awful jobs of it- if these supposedly powerful sorcerers have to plan and scheme just to kill a blindfolded 13 year old who can only carry 2 objects at a time, it doesn't say much for them!  If you reason that the kidsies just get in the way, then the villains keep some integrity.

GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I occasionally thought the humour value in Lord Fear's scenes were pushed slightly too far, whereas Mogdred was so much more serious.
BTW, I'm not trying to put Mogdred ahead of LF here. Just saying one thing about him I personally preferred.

For Purgatory's benefit, here's the old guy himself:

[img width=212 height=190]http://www.knightmare.com/series/2/76.jpg[/img]

There's nothing wrong with that skin that a few days in the sun wouldn't fix.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

um i remember the name but not that picture,

so what was the story of lord fears roll? did they just start the season with him there or was there something behind it?

once i get some time im gonna have read all the though the seasons on this site, ive had a look over a few months and stuff but not really looked at hard, and my mind is very blurry when it comes to the very early seasons.. i can remember watching them , but just cant remember them,
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

On the original question, I think I preferred the final season's environment, though to be honest, they were all pretty good :)
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Yep, series 8 did the works on the technical side, but otherwise.... I'll save it for a later topic
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Treguard
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Treguard »

With the brown hat on, Mogdred looks faintly like some kind of 80s rapper on crack
OoooOooOoohhhhh Nasty