Dragon or Mine-cart?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Dragon or Mine-cart?

Post by WillsOfDoom »

So, what method of travelling to different levels do people here prefer? There is the Descender, the mine-cart from series 3 (this was a great one!), trap-doors, the mighty Smirkenorf (I liked this, but thought the travelling sequence took too long). Or like myself, do you prefer a good old-fashioned wellway? I always wanted to go down one of them when I was nine.

Any suggestions for new level-switching methods?
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Dragon or Mine-cart?

Post by LordF »

Don't forget the Trap Door room from Series 8
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The mine-cart was the best one. Smirkenorff's flight sequences, as you say, were far too long and didn't feel as fast-paced or spectacular as the hurtling mine-cart. All the others were unremarkable.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Don't forget the simple flight of steps used to get to level 3 in series 4. Also in series 6 the spell W-I-N-D was cast by Captain Nemanor to transport the dungeoneer to the mines of Gore (bad spelling probably)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I always liked well-ways wonder what inspired them. Dizzy, Mario?

The mine cart was cool, loved it. The dragon sequences were no good for me because they were outside the dungeon.

Theres another way that hasn't been mentioned. What about the Dunswater amd te towever of time.

Question
Was the Dungeonere in level 3 the moment they had got accross the Dunswater, when they entered the fortress or when they got to the bottom of the steps?
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

No level 3 was at the bottom of the steps. I remember that during the eye-shield sequence of 'the dungeoneer' going down the steps Treguard saying that the enterance to level 3 lies somewhere below.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yeah the Tower of Time was still on Level 2. The staircase inside the Tower was the entrance to Level 3.

In fact, I always thought Treguard's words were a bit redundant at that point. He kept saying, "The entrance to the third level must be somewhere below this fortress, if only you can find it." If only the could FIND it? When the dungeoneer's stood right at the top of the very staircase that leads into Level 3?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

wasn't it the transported pads they took them to level 3?

The mine carts were great,
Well ways and trapdoors were alright, much like the mines the team needed something to get across or they needed to be fast.

With the Dragon.. you can pretty much get across for free, and speed wasn't that important.

Descender wasn't to bad, when the team had to count floors.. remember season 5? ;) ;D lol
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I think the transporter pads were a puzzle in a Level Three room, as opposed to being a means of getting to Level Three.

I like the Mine Cart ride a lot. I think it would be good to introduce that in the new series but expanded a bit so that instead of a closed shaft, the cart could travel through a series of large caverns, with colourful minerals glistening and perhaps a waterful (like something from Journey To The Centre Of The Earth). I think that would be quite effective and certainly a treat to look at.
Subject to change.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

That idea struck me too! Yeah, the return of a new improved mine-cart would be really cool. The superior capabilities of the new Knightmare system could pull off something really special.

A better version of the descender might also work - perhaps something like a cable-car?
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Pendragon wrote: I always liked well-ways wonder what inspired them. Dizzy, Mario?
Tim Child said that he stole the idea for the Wellways straight out of Atic Atac (an old ZX Spectrum game). In it, as you go from room to room through a dungeon, you fall through holes in certain rooms to get to deeper levels.

As a matter of fact, the idea for the Life Force was also stolen from that game. In Atic Atac, your energy was represented by a graphic of a chicken. As you took damage, parts of the chicken disappeared - when you got down to bare bones, you died!

Anyway, the mine-cart rides were knice, but I still preferred Smirkenoff's dragon rides to the next level. If only the flight sequence had been shorter... and they probably could have done without the lengthy chat between dragon and dungeoneer before the flight ;)
Last edited by Tom41 on 14 Jun 2004, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Crikey! Exposed! ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I did like the mine cart the best, and I always liked the lift system in S5, too.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

I always liked Smirkenoff the best out of all of them, but I suppose it did take longer than perhaps was necessary. The mine cart was cool, as it was quite exciting - never was too keen on the descender.
Smirkenoff was better when he had a voice, and chatted to the dungeoneer :D it made it less monotonous then.
"You're in a room..." ;)
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Don't forget the steps in series 8 (going downwards)... they looked knice