Sing Back Knightmare 2010!

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Sing Back Knightmare 2010!

Post by Pooka »

Hey, you!

Yes, you!

Would you like to hear some comedy songs performed by members of the Knightmare Community? Yes, of course you would! No, you don't have a choice in the matter!

If you hop along to this page, you can download the fantastic Wall Aid songs, as well as classics like All I Want Is Knightmare To View and Never Gonna Win The Cup!

But WAIT! There's MORE!

You've heard these songs already, you say? Well, fear not, for there are new tracks available on this site, including a brand new version of Never Gonna Win The Cup, sung exclusively by KaM!

And as if that isn't enough, if your curiosity is not yet satiated by these delectable auditory delights, we have a fantastic present for you to celebrate five whole years of Sing Back Knightmare...

...A ZIP FILE CONTAINING ALL SEVEN TRACKS!
Including an exclusive, never-before-heard track recorded especially by Pooka!

All available at the fantastic website!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Sing Back Knightmare 2010!

Post by Canadanne »

Perfect Quest is brilliant! Very impressed by KaM's solo effort as well. As for the group performances, I'd be lying if I said my ears weren't bleeding, but I love the lyrics & samples and I was certainly entertained. ;)

Merry Christmas everybody!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Pooka, I'm sure you remember that I worked on an intro section to Never Gonna Win The Cup, unaware that you'd been organising one yourself, the one which you ultimately and rightly used. The release of another version of NGWTC is surely a nice opportunity to share my intro after all. I don't suppose, by any chance, you'd please consider reediting the new NGWTC so that my intro is featured, allowing others to hear it, in context? That is, if Keith too is happy with the idea.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Drassil wrote:Pooka, I'm sure you remember that I worked on an intro section to Never Gonna Win The Cup, unaware that you'd been organising one yourself, the one which you ultimately and rightly used. The release of another version of NGWTC is surely a nice opportunity to share my intro after all. I don't suppose, by any chance, you'd please consider reediting the new NGWTC so that my intro is featured, allowing others to hear it, in context? That is, if Keith too is happy with the idea.
Sure!! Especially since we had our collaboration in the first one, I think that's most fitting! Just no intros with the X-Factor 'Voice of God' please. I haven't auto-tuned. 8)

I've been finding unused takes for this, where the singing is better, but I've shot it with so much echo that it's like I'm in a cave crossed with a hall of mirrors! Perhaps I'll take Andrew or Matt's offer of borrowing their recording gear instead of deep-throating that little headset I've used so far. I'd really like to crack a decent effort at Owl City's Fireflies as well, if any lyricists happen to have a silly idea. :idea:
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

KaM wrote:I'd really like to crack a decent effort at Owl City's Fireflies as well, if any lyricists happen to have a silly idea. :idea:
Done.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Drassil wrote:Pooka, I'm sure you remember that I worked on an intro section to Never Gonna Win The Cup, unaware that you'd been organising one yourself, the one which you ultimately and rightly used. The release of another version of NGWTC is surely a nice opportunity to share my intro after all. I don't suppose, by any chance, you'd please consider reediting the new NGWTC so that my intro is featured, allowing others to hear it, in context? That is, if Keith too is happy with the idea.
Don't take offense to this, David, but I'm not sure the intro section you worked on is edited the best way it could be. Indeed, Treguard's repetition of "no... no..." is overcast with Mogdred's laughter, which makes very little sense in the context of the introduction. I'm not as knowledgeable as you with how many spells Mogdred cast himself, but if one could spell out RICKROLL with his spellcastings, then that may be more fitting. But I'm assuming that you didn't originally intend to use Mogdred at all, and just wanted Treguard's remonstrations, so it's a shame that he's in it at all.

There's also a problem in that the "no... no..." section has the whooshy KM-spell effect in it which, when affixed to the beginning of the song, sounds clunky. Believe me, I've tried it. I could use an overlay, but that sounds a bit worse. When comparing it to, say, the intro to All I Want..., which is an excellent intro, I had a section of silence at the end of said intro to play with, thanks to its a capella qualities. This would be much more difficult.

By all means, I will graft your intro (if you send it to me) onto the new version of Never Gonna Win The Cup, if any fans are willing to hear it. But (and this is not your fault, by the way, it's the soundbyte that you used, you can't edit tracks out of a soundbyte) it just... doesn't sound... well, very good. But, as I said, if you want, I will.

And one further point. I didn't do any production on this version. This is entirely Keith's track, vocals and production together. And for that, I am eternally grateful.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I say go for it, nowt wrong in multiple entries (ahem ;) ) and indeed introductions!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I haven't really taken offense, Pooka, but I don't exactly feel like someone's just cast PICKMEUP on me either. ;) To go into that much detail in a public setting feels slightly embarrassing. Had you said all of that via PM, it would also have avoided any 'spoilers' for those who've never heard (details of) my intro.

I always thought that fun was the watchword with SBK productions, as opposed to good or sense. Your concerns seem to focus on the Treguard/Mogdred bit, which is by no means essential to the concept. If that bit were discarded, would you look more favourably upon my offering? If not, I won't pursue this any further. As it happens, I didn't realise that Keith had fully produced the new version as well as recording it.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

While it's true that the Treguard and Mogdred bit was what irked me the most (due to its difficulty in grafting onto the track itself), your intro did consist of what was very similar to the introduction to All I Want..., stretching the joke a bit far - although I won't deny that finding the letters as you did must have taken a certain amount of hard work. If every track on Knightmare Rocks Out! had a spellcast introduction, it may not be as funny. As a satirist, you should know that every cliché should be avoided like the plague.

Nevertheless, RJB above has expressed an interest, so if you'll e-mail me your intro again, I'll see what I can do with getting it onto KaM's version, and put it up as a separate download for you.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

I am sorry that another version of the track has caused a diplomatic problem.

All I would say, Ben, is that you found the latest Knightmare spoof distinctly unfunny, while I found it hilarious and a much better watch than Bad Dreem. Humour is neither black nor white: it is both, and it is neither, and yet we know not. Thank you very much for your kind thanks; I've enjoyed putting it together. But I know it could be a lot better. Perhaps there is room for an improved version here, yet. You would receive my thanks equally if you were to offer yourself willingly to this comic tampering. 8)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I've never encountered, nor was I expecting, such non-positive criticism of my work from you, and I hope not to earn anymore. I'd be grateful if you could please refrain from telling me what I 'should know' - it's not a very appealing turn of phrase for one forum member to use to another.

I was hoping to retain the element of surprise, to maximise whatever humour my intro would have had; but as Pooka has revealed in his posts, it involved Rickroll spellcasting. Specifically, the letters of 'Rickroll' taken from various casters, ending with the LL from WELL by Team 6 of Series 1, continuing with WELL's activation sound (5:58-6:05), overlapped by Treguard's "No! Don't!" and Mogdred's "Silence!" from Quest 4 of Series 3 (1:56-2:00), then silence, then Matthew in the same episode shouting "Go!" in the cat room (ibid, 6:12). (In part, this does indeed reemploy the spellcasting device from my All I Want Is Knightmare To View intro, but if there were no audience for reckless repetition, I doubt Rickrolling would have caught on in the first place.) It might have been silly enough to tickle a listener or two; or one of its imperfections might have done to it what Medusa did to Christopher's team; or people may have found it a harmless preamble to the main event. In any case, I've lost my enthusiasm for sharing it now. My apologies to Robin and Keith. At least I enjoyed putting it together, and in my opinion, every creative KM project should start with that. I have enjoyed coming up with Knightmare/Rickroll ideas in the past too.

I'm sorry that a polite request has led to all this. I hereby withdraw that request. Respectfully, I'd very much prefer us not to discuss this any further.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I will honour said request and refrain from discussing this any further. However, should you change your mind, my above comment...
Nevertheless, RJB above has expressed an interest, so if you'll e-mail me your intro again, I'll see what I can do with getting it onto KaM's version, and put it up as a separate download for you.
...still stands.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Sing Back Knightmare 2010!
by JamesA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 am

KaM wrote:
I'd really like to crack a decent effort at Owl City's Fireflies as well, if any lyricists happen to have a silly idea.

Done.

Doubly done in fact if you look at the thread! :D