Knightmare Challenge!

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
Aldude
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: "Knightmare II: The Dark Talisman" g

Post by Aldude »

looks like you found the alphabet chambers then.  thats a clue to finding the talisman  ;)

Ali ;D
Sidestep to the left....
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I got to the confrontation with Sir Percifal last night - that's making progress  8)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

******SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ ON IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING REVEALED!******

Bloody stupid evil nasty *lots of swearwords* game!! I finished it - BUT didnt! Got to Lord Fear at end, but have to re-start it because he doesn't have talisman! GRR!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Catacombite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Catacombite »

i got the same ending  >:(
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

No, I'm stumped. I tried taking another path meaning I got a completely different Level 2, and at the end I managed to get exactly the same Level 3 as before with exactly the same wrong ending!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Getting the different endings is a good thing, especially when you work out what one of the clues means.

Then it's a matter of finding a certain set of rooms. That's what took me longest. I had clues, but for a while had no idea what her clue meant, because I hadn't found those chambers.

I think it's great that this game has managed to frustrate so many people. I'm not being evil, but commenting on how well it's been put together to make it have such long-term playability.  As I mentioned on another thread, these games are usually pretty darn simple, but this one is a brilliant challenge, without being completely unfair. And it's original- true to the original, but with enough new storyline to make it interesting.

I sincerely hope you think about making another one sometime in the future. :D  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

It _is_ amazing.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

I think it's great that this game has managed to frustrate so many people. I'm not being evil, but commenting on how well it's been put together to make it have such long-term playability.
...which is exactly what didn't happen for me. ;-) Maybe I'm just not as patient as everybody else, but having found the alphabet chambers without any clues (I haven't found the 'her' ending people have been mentioning) and being given no clues whatsoever (don't you dare say anything about taking the right-hand path), I don't think I should be punished just because I haven't trogged through the game just to get another fake ending.

That's what killed its playability for me - there may be many paths to take, but you are -forced- to take them all in order to "win".  As I said elsewhere, though, I enjoyed it as I played it, and I'll certainly play the next one as well. ;-)

Arcengel - I remember somewhere you said that people could mail you for the solution/help, but I can't find that thread or an email address for you...
CedricTheEntertainer
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by CedricTheEntertainer »

Well, I've played this game many times and I've managed to find the alphabet dungeons, but when I get through that there isn't many options you can do (it's all automated) and I end up on the normal path again afterwards.  When I get to the end and defeat the baddie I encounter I get one of those fake endings again!

So, I don't know whether there's a hidden button (on the right screen) you have to locate with your cursor and click on it or something, but I followed the clues carefully and to the letter and I'm still not receiving the 'true' ending!  Any more advice?
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Hm, I don't get this game. I've had three "fake" endings (Lord Fear, Morghanna and Sir Precival, whomever he is) and I can't quite work out the clue that Morghanna gave me.

I tried doing the Sir Precival ending again, but for some reason I died right after I met Brangwen, also I didn't find what Morghanna told me to look for. I'm missing something major and I can't figure out what it is.
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Heading in Sir P's general direction is (as i remember, anyway) a good way to go to find what the lovely lady was talking about.

I wonder who does her hair.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Heading in Sir P's general direction is (as i remember, anyway) a good way to go to find what the lovely lady was talking about.

I wonder who does her hair.
Nope, three more attempts taking different routes, one of them through the alphabet rooms, and I still don't have the 'her' ending, just sir smegging precifal again.  And that's my boredom limit exhausted again.

Anyone care to furnish me with a solution via the private message feature on these boards? :)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Nope, [...]
No, that advice wouldn't help you much, since I was actually responding to Jericho 6's post. I think if you want the "her" ending, where you have a certain choice of 3 paths, you need to go straight ahead. I should point out that it may not be a 100% correct memory, however, before anyone quotes it and tells me it's wrong.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 17 Mar 2003, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

No, that advice wouldn't help you much, since I was actually responding to Jericho 6's post.
Hehe, that'll not be helping ;-)
I think if you want the "her" ending, where you have a certain choice of 3 paths, you need to go straight ahead.
You're right.  Unfortunately, even armed with the two 'passwords' and 'her' information, and being able to get to the alphabet chambers and find at least one portal within, I still don't find the talisman, just the silly precifal ending again.  So assume I'm not getting to the alphabet chambers via the route indicated with the passwords.

With early text adventure games, before parsers became more advanced, you'd often find yourself in a situation with a problem that you _knew_ the solution for, but you couldn't get past it because you weren't using quite the right combination of words, as far as the author was concerned.  It tended to get called "guess-the-verb" syndrome; you'd solved the puzzle to all intents and purposes, but until you guessed the correct verb, you were 'stuck' on that puzzle.  I guess that's how I feel about this game. ;-)

Incidentally, am I right in guessing that Sir Precifal (and the ghost that you cast AVAUNT on, too, I think) are in fact images of the coder behind this fiendish thing? ;-)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

With early text adventure games, before parsers became more advanced, you'd often find yourself in a situation with a problem that you _knew_ the solution for, but you couldn't get past it because you weren't using quite the right combination of words, as far as the author was concerned.  It tended to get called "guess-the-verb" syndrome; you'd solved the puzzle to all intents and purposes, but until you guessed the correct verb, you were 'stuck' on that puzzle.
pick lock safe
unlock safe key
use key safe
unlock safe
open safe key
put key lock
turn key round
fit key lock
open safe door
unlock door safe
unlock safe door
get safe open
scream
swear
kill self

Yes, I remember those well.  :D
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 17 Mar 2003, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.