Knightmare Commentary Tracks

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Knightmare Commentary Tracks

Post by HStorm »

I'm planning to do a DVD-type feature, which is to create audio-commentary tracks for episodes of Knightmare. They can be played while watching the episode with the sound turned down. I'll make them downloadable from the Radio Drama site in MP3 form.

There's an awful lot of episodes of KM out there however, far too many for me to do entirely by myself, and in any case, I don't see why only my own perspective should be put forward. So if anyone who has a microphone would like to volunteer to do a commentary of their own, please let me know and tell me which episodes you'd like to do.

I'll do episode one of season one this weekend, as a way of testing whether the idea will be any good in practise.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare Commentary Tracks

Post by HStorm »

Okay, the first three commentary tracks are now available for download. They are for episodes 1, 6 and 8 of season one. Go to http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/tvcommentaries.htm to hear them. When playing the commentary, you need to time the first words to the very start of the titles on the screen, and the track should be more or less in synch.
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by hindleyite »

Ah, excellent. Just so happens I'm watching Series 1 at the moment, I'll take a look at these :-)
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Hope you like them!

I've done six more commentary tracks over the last couple of days, all for episodes from season two. They are; -

Episode 3
Episode 5
Episode 7
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 16

The commentaries for 3, 5 & 7 can now be downloaded from the address in the earlier post, and the remaining three should be available later this week. Sorry about the slightly odd colour scheme on the page; something weird about the website software, and I can't quite figure out how to make it behave.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Three new tracks have been added this evening, including two by new commentators. Offering his thoughts on episode 3 of season 1 is Jake Collins, editor of The Eye Shield fanzine. He and his sister Rosey then team up to analyse episode 3 of season 5. In between times, I cast my eye over episode 1 of season 3.

A reminder of the link if you'd like to hear them...

http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/tvcommentaries.htm
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Just an update on progress with the commentaries. Thirty-seven episodes now have tracks, which I reckon is good going for two weeks' work - big thanks again to Jake and Rosey for all their excellent help with it - but we still have far more to do ahead than we've already done. Again, if anyone wants to join in, please get in touch!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

The Dunshelm Players: episode commentaries

Post by HStorm »

A fresh batch of seven fan commentaries are now available, including one from a new duo. Andy Marshall AKA Dark Comet (above) has teamed up with Alistair Payne (sp?) from the Emerald Isle to commentate on episode 2 of season 1. Includes some explicit language.

As ever, you can download the new tracks from http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/tvcommentaries.htm
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

The Jake and Rosey commentaries are awesome.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Five new commentary tracks by Jake Collins have just been made available (he actually recorded them over a week ago but this was the first chance I had to get them converted and uploaded - sorry for the delay, Jake!) and we now have tracks in place for all episodes in seasons 1 and 3.

http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/tvcommentaries.htm

More will follow soon.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Doing these commentary tracks is enormous fun! I'm so glad at least a few people seem to have been listening to them! Thank you, sozboz!
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by DJFairborne77 »

I have to say I'm really enjoying these commenatries! I'm currently listening to Jake Collins' one for Series 4, Episode 13. I'm from Cornwall, so from the same ITV region (TSW) as Dicken's team were, as they were from Torquay in Devon. Also a winning team too!...
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Thank you for enjoying my/our commentaries, they're great fun to do.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

Eyeshield wrote:Thank you for enjoying my/our commentaries, they're great fun to do.
Hi Eyeshield, yeah the commentaries are great, as it's always interesting to hear various different fans' comments on each episode or series of ''Knightmare''. You seem to like Series 4, whereas the other commentary person, Martin Odoni doesn't seem too keen on it. I myself did enjoy Series 4, despite the various changes introduced (such as The Eye Shield & Pickle etc). I think Series 3 is probably my favourite series overall though, as it was the first series I started to watch on a regular basis each week. However, I'm not too keen on Series 5 & 6 though, simply due to the fact that Elita is in them and she is my least favourite character ever, she is just awful, downright rude & bad-behaved! But, it's so funny in that episode (I forget which one) when the dungeoneer answers her back! Anyway, keep up the commentaries asthey are really good!...

One thing is when you do them, are you watching/using the episodes from the original CITV broadcasts or the Challenge repeats?
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

This is the last thing I'll post about commentaries in this thread, but I'll just answer those couple of questions. I've been using Knightmare episodes recorded off Challenge, and I know Martin (HStorm) has too. Challenge did cut a few lines when inserting their ad breaks, so if you listen to these commentaries while watching episodes from CITV, the commentary may be out by a few seconds, but probably not so as you'd notice. Having said that, you mentioned Episode 13 of Series 4 and they did cut a noticeable chunk of that ("now that the excitement's over, Master..." etc) so if you had an issue with time there, Challenge is the one to blame.

Sofia is the dungeoneer who answers back to Elita and if you want to hear me and Rosey talking about that, listen to our current Series 6 commentaries, which cover that quest in its entirety.

I don't know who has Moderator status for this board nowadays, but if anyone does and they see this, they might consider moving this little commentary-related discussion to the "Fan Creations" board, where there is a thread discussing the commentaries.

I might just add (and this is relevant to this topic) that even though some fans have been able to make commentaries by watching episodes recorded off the telly, in no way would this stop us (I'm sure HStorm would agree with me here) buying official DVDs, without cut lines and glib comments over the music and other such annoying things. Thank you, Challenge, for buying and airing Knightmare, but boy did you fiddle with it!
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

Hi again Eyeshield & thanks for the reply and answering some of my questions about the commentaries. Apologies to everyone for going slightly off-topic for a bit there, but actually your answer about the few Challenge problems have made me realise how great it would be to have proper 'official' DVD's done straight from the original master tapes, with the episodes in full & unedited etc. Still, it was great that Challenge did show all 8 series of the show & aside from a few minor quibbles here & there, they did a pretty good job with it, even making that short 5-min featurette with both Tim Child & Hugo Myatt in it, shame it wasn't longer though!

Anyway, let's get back on-topic & I hope there's some news about the DVD campaign in the new year!...