KnightMare Invaders

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

KnightMare Invaders

Post by WhiteDevil »

hiya guys,
the main point of this post is to try and get a general idea of what people in the Knightmare community want...

I am a budding C++ programmer, learning at a slow but steady pace, and i have decided i need a project to develop my skills on. I came up with the idea of recreating the timeless classic "Space Invaders" with a new twist. (NOTE: I sometimes build websites then give up after a few months, lets hope this isnt the case with this  ;D)

So far i have come up with the following ideas:

1) When you first run the game you hear the Knightmare opening music with four menu items: New Game, Options, Help, Quit.

2) When you start the game you take the place of Smirkenoff, the dragon, and try to blow enemies out of the sky. (if anyone has an idea as to what these enemies should be i would much appreciate it  ;))

Well, thats the only stuff i can come up with right now, any comments would be welcomed :)

WhiteDevil
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: KnightMare Invaders

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

(if anyone has an idea as to what these enemies should be i would much appreciate it  ;))WhiteDevil
It sounds a cool idea, if you have the time and inclination.

Things that might be flying-

Pookas, Stormguists, Skulls, Ghosts, Bats, Red Dragons, Witches (Heggatty, Peggatty and co). Fireballs thrown by Lord Fear? Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. I suppose you might stretch the list to include magic swords and axes.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
thrifty_squirrels

Post by thrifty_squirrels »

i want a brand new combine 'arvester ooarrrrrrrr what a beauty!:o preferably a massey ferguson if you wouldnt mind.
I love my massey fergie, she's better than a davie broon.
Whin it comes tae plooin parks she's the best in a the toon,
And on show days she niver lets ma doon.
I love ma massey fergie, shes better thin Jock's auld Broon.
And the coos may moo and the sheep may baa,
Bit my massey fergie will aywiz be braw!  :D
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

sorry to disapoint but i cant program combine 'arvesters -  thanks for the positive suggestion Grimaldine  :D
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

That's okay! I hope it goes well. If you managed it, it would be fantastic! *imagines fireballing all the Pookas*

No offense meant, of course, Pooka.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Rhea
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Rhea »

if anyone has an idea as to what these enemies should be i would much appreciate it  ;))
How about the annoying contestants that everyne hated? Ill leave you to decide which ones ;)
Or blonde bimbos (no offense meant)
Whatcha wavin at ya sausage?
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

You could use the Brolochan as an enemy; afterall it was created to kill 'Smerky'.  Make it the end of level guardian.
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

In fairness, the Brol. wasn't created to kill Smirky. Lord Fear just transported it through time and space to achieve his evil ends. It does sound great as an end of Level thing tho.

You could have pies and things flying from the sky that you have to catch to replenish energy. Perhaps you could have characters' faces coming out of the sky too. Shoot all the goblins, Sly Hands and Co., but you lose a lot of points if you accidentally hit Treguard. And make a big bonus for killing Brother Strange! Muhahahaha.

I'll shut up now. :)
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Whoooo...

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

And see if you can get it to have a 'Green skull bonus' which plays the spooky skull music froem Series 1-3.

Maybe throw some of the skeletron's in there on the ground so you have to shoot from the sides, as well...
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

And instead of the shelters that you can hide behind until the enemies blast through them, you could have gigantic Eyeshields!

What? Not everyone hated the Eyeshield, even if it was overused! ;)
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

The idea of food sounds good.  Play the lifeforce from series 1-5 (or some other incarnation if worried about being able to program it / copyright etc; just don't use that appalling 'cake' from series 8 though :)) in the corner of the screen at varying speeds as the levels increase.  If an enemy hits you, you suffer damage to your lifeforce.  If you get some food, the lifeforce improves.  Should it ever reach the end, the character dies just like in the real thing.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

The idea of food sounds good.  Play the lifeforce from series 1-5 (or some other incarnation if worried about being able to program it / copyright etc; just don't use that appalling 'cake' from series 8 though :)) in the corner of the screen at varying speeds as the levels increase.  If an enemy hits you, you suffer damage to your lifeforce.  If you get some food, the lifeforce improves.  Should it ever reach the end, the character dies just like in the real thing.

It was a pie dammit! :)

This is an interesting idea, have the lifeforce set to a proper counter.  If they get no damage eg it can last 4 level one rooms and likewise for other levels.

One in S5 had no sound, and was hardly used sadly :(

Certainly use the original, or S6/7 one, OR a new one based on both of those versions :)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

I appologise, it was a pie used in S8 ... mental block :).

The S6/7 lifeforce meter would be easier for a computer programmer to use that's for sure.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Whoooo...

Maybe throw some of the skeletron's in there on the ground so you have to shoot from the sides, as well...
Yes! You could have lots of horrors walking along the ground to shoot! Skeletrons, Miremen, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Cavernwights, Brother Strange, Marta. :)
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 22 Jan 2003, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

It was a pie dammit! :)
I can't believe you people are still arguing about this! Especially after I proved categorically it's a Quiche! Quiche, Quiche, Quiche, I tell you! And the red thing on top that you all thought may or may not be a cherry is actually a miniature Dutch Cheese. End of Story. :)