Re:Some ideas for a new knightmare

How might you change Knightmare if a new series were to be made?
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Some ideas for a new knightmare

Post by KMFAN »

The fact that Tim Child shelved Knightmare VR beacause he thought a new knightmare would work best under a mixture of the original format and virtual reality got me thinking.

He is SPOT ON.

The great thing about the original was the strong human element in it. Characters were REAL PEOPLE, the dungeoneer had to be guided 90 per cent of the time by his advisors. You cant lose that human element. IT MUST STAY.

You definetly cant change the audio either. The audio from series 3 was superb, the intro, tense moments, dwarf tunnels etc. Audio is so key to a programme like knightmare.

The one thing that todays technology can bring to improve things however is of course the virtual reality aspect.

Though the game should evolve mainly around rooms, corridors and cliffedges so as to keep the isolationist feel about the game (like series 3) the rendering of these could be vastly improved with todays technology.

So basically a new knightmare should be a series 3 concept with better graphics.

SIMPLE REALLY.

Age range for show should be 13-16 aired on the BBC in a 20 minute slot twice a week.

ARE YOU READING THIS TIM CHILD
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

It's not Tim Child that isn't letting it go on TV. Its the BBC, ITV and several other channels that they have approached. They don;t want it. Not unless it has 'celebrities' in it, the no-talent freeloadis SOBs
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

Turaga Nuju wrote: It's not Tim Child that isn't letting it go on TV. Its the BBC, ITV and several other channels that they have approached. They don;t want it. Not unless it has 'celebrities' in it, the no-talent freeloadis SOBs
I know its sad isnt it.

But what comes around goes around and I can see it back on our screens within 5 years.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

A Celebrity Knightmare but with REAL Deaths would be an interesting idea. Maybe with people who hate the celebrity as advisors :o

Well, back to a possible reality concept. I think you could never really bring Kngithmare back in the same form, it needs changes but the key concepts of Knightmare should be included:

1. Difficulty
2. Team Guiding an Individual
3. Intelligent Riddles and Puzzles
4. Role Playing Aspect
5. Multi-Episode Quests

I think these 4 aspects can be applied to different types of environment with careful design. We would all love th old Dungeons and Castles to come back but what we need to do is actually research what kids in the 12-16 age range actually are interested in. Perhaps something like Chavmare might be more related to the modern teenager?
"Oh Dear, What a Pity, Never Mind"
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

#37 Herbie wrote: A Celebrity Knightmare but with REAL Deaths would be an interesting idea. Maybe with people who hate the celebrity as advisors :o
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ;) ;) ;)
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

Just had an idea for Knew Knightmare!!!

What about a VR Knightmare but the whole team of 4 goes into the Dungeon. They each have an assigned role in the team (e.g. Spellcaster, who would have a book they can write spells into etc.). Each of them can carry 1 item each and if 1 of them dies they have to carry on without them. Less people means less items and if the assigned spellcaster dies then they have no access to spells :o

Could be an interesting idea. The Quest should be possible to complete with 3 of them so 1 of the team could die but it has to be extremely easy to die, e.g. if they only get 1 right in the clue room then 1 of them dies, 0 right and 2 of them die or something. Timing tasks become difficult as they get in each others way (Can you imagine Block and tackle with 4 people trying to run through the room :o)

Anyway, any thoughts on this idea?
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

Celebrity Deaths? :-\ Sounds evil. I agree. If i wanted celebrities to appear on Knightmare is should be Prince Charles. Just imagine him being sliced in half on the corridor of blades!! Britney, to put her simply, she's a walking baby factory! And Shakira, 8) Last i checked, when 1 of her songs came on the TV, the windows shattered, and there was a downpour LOL! It'd be great to kill her off, as well as many other greedy, talentless celebrities. :o Could anyone else give any suggestions on which celebrity they would like to see on the show?
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

It is a fact though that there is not ONE programme on TV at the moment (excluding reality TV) that is aimed or draws in the 16-24 bracket.

Knightmare should seize on this gap in the market.

Cmon Tim, get Kightmare back on our screens :D
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

#37 Herbie wrote: Just had an idea for Knew Knightmare!!!

What about a VR Knightmare but the whole team of 4 goes into the Dungeon. They each have an assigned role in the team (e.g. Spellcaster, who would have a book they can write spells into etc.). Each of them can carry 1 item each and if 1 of them dies they have to carry on without them. Less people means less items and if the assigned spellcaster dies then they have no access to spells :o

Could be an interesting idea. The Quest should be possible to complete with 3 of them so 1 of the team could die but it has to be extremely easy to die, e.g. if they only get 1 right in the clue room then 1 of them dies, 0 right and 2 of them die or something. Timing tasks become difficult as they get in each others way (Can you imagine Block and tackle with 4 people trying to run through the room :o)

Anyway, any thoughts on this idea?
Good thinking but it wouldnt work.

Why?

Because once you overcomplicate the format people switch off. It's a fact

Kightmares linear nature is one of the things which made it popular.

If you had 12 exits from each room and 10 on screen characters at a time no way would it of been as popular.

Thats why I like series 3 the best. It had less chit chat and more fast paced action.
Last edited by KMFAN on 13 Oct 2006, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

KMFAN wrote: Cmon Tim, get Knightmare back on our screens
You're haranguing the wrong man. TC's been trying to revive Knightmare for four years, and no TV channel has shown any interest in it. Short of founding his own channel - which would be hopelessly impractical for reasons too numerous to list - there really isn't a lot more he can do.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

HStorm wrote:
KMFAN wrote: Cmon Tim, get Knightmare back on our screens
You're haranguing the wrong man. TC's been trying to revive Knightmare for four years, and no TV channel has shown any interest in it. Short of founding his own channel - which would be hopelessly impractical for reasons too numerous to list - there really isn't a lot more he can do.
I'm not haranguing him over not 'doing enough' to get KM back on our screens. I'm just saying for him to take a look at the concept i've put forward, thats all.
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

Does any1 know if Tim approached challenge TV to broadcast Knightmare VR??

I think it would do alright on Challenge in an evening slot once or twice a week.
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

The reason its not back on might be good. As technology gets better, the more Knightmare's graphics would look better. If Knightmare VR had aired, i don't think it would have lasted as long as the show's 8 years on ITV. VR just misses out the fun: the dungeoneer was computer-generated, but from 1987-94 an actual person was the adventurer. It just missed out the fun, i think.
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by KMFAN »

TomDread wrote: The reason its not back on might be good. As technology gets better, the more Knightmare's graphics would look better. If Knightmare VR had aired, i don't think it would have lasted as long as the show's 8 years on ITV. VR just misses out the fun: the dungeoneer was computer-generated, but from 1987-94 an actual person was the adventurer. It just missed out the fun, i think.
Thats what i've suggested. Keep those elements but the rendering of the rooms could be improved with todays technology.

Also I think Tim should try BBC again because since May 2005 when Knightmare VR was shelved more tradidional programs seem to be appearing on there now, like Robin Hood for example. The new head of the BBC Michael Grade leans more towards things like this than celebrity this, celebrity that i'm told so there may be an opportunity for KM at the moment.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

Good thinking but it wouldnt work.

Why?

Because once you overcomplicate the format people switch off. It's a fact

Kightmares linear nature is one of the things which made it popular.

If you had 12 exits from each room and 10 on screen characters at a time no way would it of been as popular.

Thats why I like series 3 the best. It had less chit chat and more fast paced action.
Cheers for the Feedback but I think I have not explained myself properly!

With VR the Dungeoneer will not be blindfolded, if using the same idea of KnightmareVR, so there would be no need for guides, hence why the KnightmareVR was just 1 dungeoneer. Therefore, why not have the whole team go through the same dungeon that it would be for 1 dungeoneer. Not 20 different exits but the same door options (whether 1,2 or 4) but where if one of the team dies they loose that member of the team and have to carry on. It would need some more thought to see whether viable but would be an interesting option.

Having the Dungeoneers blindfolded in a VR Simulator almost makes it pointless to be VR, it may as well be the same as the older knightmare was done (depends on whether VR was cheaper to run than a Blue screen Room). Anyway, just thought would explain myself a bit better then I had. In summary, same quest design as older formats but with all 4 of the team in the Dungeon rather than just the 1 dungeoneer!