Knightmare NWN Mod

Interested in offering help to the Knightmare community? Make or respond to requests for help here.
Yttrium
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare NWN Mod

Post by Yttrium »

Hi, everyone.

I am (just as most people here) a fan of knightmare, but sadly only being old enough to have seen the last couple of series. I intend to (and, indeed, have already started to) create a knightmare module for Neverwinter Nights. For those of you that aren't familiar with NWN (as it will henceforth be referred to), it is essentially a role-playing game, with a sophisticated editor, designed to making your own adventures. It is based around the Dungeons and Dragons universe, and I thought that I would like to make a Knightmare module for this game.

Firstly, I'd like anyone who's interested (either in helping or just hearing about the mod's current status) to either post here, e-mail me at:

oblong@blastock.demon.co.uk

or alternatively send me a message via these forums.

Secondly, I'd like to make certain that the creation of such a module does not infringe any copyrights (I strongly doubt this, but, hey, it's worth checking). Secondly, I'd like to know if the helmet that the dungeoneer wears has any particular name (other than just 'helmet'). ?? Is it the Helm of Justice ?? Thirdly, are there only four items to quest for (shield, sword, cup and crown) or are there more I've forgotten (hope not).

The mod should include devilish puzzles, inane riddles, and all your favourites like Smirkenoff and the Hall of Blades. Well, this is the idea, anyhow! It should also contain (at least when complete) 4 different quests - one for each of the items.

Anyway, just to let you know that such a mod does exist (although not much of it, as of yet), so....hope you think it's a good idea :)  
From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare NWN Mod

Post by rachelesque »

very nice... i presume you know enough C to pull it off, if you need a hand or anything then ask (i know enough 3rd ed D&D to think of ideas if you're stuck).

if you need beta testers, lemme know...
Yttrium
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Yttrium »

Thanks for your offer of help ! If ever I get stuck, I'll call on you :)

And you can certainly beta-test! (It is likely that I will complete each quest fully before starting on the next) :D

Incidentally, any quest ideas would be good. Oh, and just to say, this mod is not going to be a direct transliteration of the knightmare series. It's gonna be inspired by knightmare; and there should be many recognisable characters.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

On your original questions:

Yes, the helmet was called the Helmet of Justice.

In later series there were indeed only the four quest objects you mentioned. In earlier series other quests were to Free the Maid and Retrieve the Talisman. In the first series the objects weren't specified, but the overall aim was to gain Squiredom.

On the copyright issue, I agree it's worth checking. Personally I'd guess it wouldn't be a problem until you intended to market or widely distribute it.

I hope it goes well. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Good luck with it - sound like a great idea!  ;D
Let us know how you get on  ;)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Yttrium
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Yttrium »

Well, it's good to see that there still are some people interested. The mod is progressing, slowly but steadily, but, sadly, I'm already running into problems with the scripting of the thing! If anyone here knows someone who wouldn't mind helping me, or if anyone is willing to do so themselves, then please contact me (either here or via e-mail at oblong@blastock.demon.co.uk).

The first beta of the mod should be out, hopefully, in the springtime (with 1 out of the 4 quests completed, most likely).

Have a merry christmas and a happy new year, everyone!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Well, it's good to see that there still are some people interested. The mod is progressing, slowly but steadily, but, sadly, I'm already running into problems with the scripting of the thing! If anyone here knows someone who wouldn't mind helping me, or if anyone is willing to do so themselves, then please contact me
1. I'm sure there are lots of peeps interested.
2. Well done on the work you've already put in.
3. Perhaps it might help if you gave us a little more idea of exactly what you're producing. I'm afraid I have very little idea of what NWN is. Perhaps if you could give us a little more introduction to it and exactly what scripting it entails? Is it a straight script? Encounter scenario parameters? Or something else? I'd hope you'd get more response and interest if people know more of what you're trying to create. :)

And festive season best wishes to you too. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Yeah, (belated) Christmas wishes to you sir  ;)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Yttrium
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Yttrium »

Right, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply sooner, but what with Christmas and New Year and being away in Russia, I'm sure you'll understand :D As requested, here is some more (semi-technical) information on Neverwinter Nights :

Neverwinter Nights is a recently released role-playing game, set in a third-person 3D perspective. It is based around, and set in, the "Dungeons and Dragons" universe. Alongside a single-player campaign, a powerful editor is released with the game. This allows the creation of modules relatively easily (as many small details, in, say, a temple, are placed in automatically). This easy-to-use editor means that there are thousands of modules, all of different plot (and quality, naturally  ;)) which are out on the web. I hope to create my module (loosely) based around knightmare; with 4 different quests to choose from. However, being fairly unexperienced in scripting, or programming (NWN, as far as I know, uses a slightly-modified C+ language) except for the wonderfully archaic BASIC, I am already encountering many problems with scripting.

Without attempting to spoil my module, I want to get Motley to open a door when you get his riddle right; and for Smirkenoff to fly you off (even just a straight teleport would do for the moment) to a different area. Sadly, this is beyond the scope of any tutorial that I have found; but I am scouting around for help in that area. I would invite you all (anyone that's interested, that is) to take a look at www.neverwinternights.com for more information about the game (if you find the right forum, there's even a thread about the mod, too !!) Anyway, hope this clears a few things up for anyone who was confused about what NWN is, and I repeat that the module should be out 1/4 complete in the [early] spring. I'll keep you guys posted, anyway! :D

Thanks for showing an interest, and "Happy New Year!" to all !!!

PS: I have just [now] found a program which claims to allow simpler scripting for simple folk like me; I'll check it out and hope it's a breakthrough!!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Ah, many thanks. That definitely helps. If there's anything we can do to help, let us know. :)
Yttrium
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Yttrium »

Just to let you know that I haven't really got enough time to continue work on this mod. I know that I won't really be able to do Knightmare justice, so, until further notice, this mod has been discontinued.

Sorry.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Oh well, never mind. Well done on the work you did manage to get done. :)
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Regarding the copyright issue: if Broadsword cared about copyright, this site wouldn't be here.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
RobDaZombie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Made a Knightmare game demo.

Post by RobDaZombie »

Well really its a module I made using the editor from Neverwinter Nights. Unfortunately you need this game, the two expansion packs (Undretide and Underdark) and the Community Expansion pack, but if you have these, then by all means download the module!

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/da ... 8000.shtml

It's not a direct conversion of the original, and the general character you choose is an evil based alignment, making it kinda dark and twisted so maybe its not for the faint of heart.
Last edited by RobDaZombie on 05 Mar 2005, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
RobDaZombie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Made a Knightmare game demo.

Post by RobDaZombie »

Take it no one has the game...