piracy arguement

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
pickle
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

piracy arguement

Post by pickle »

i dont condone the action one bit, but who can honestly say they haven't taped something off the telly, and doing so infringe copyright laws. It's not as if it's its a new thing. i'm not saying it's right but frankly i think we're all hypocrites.
DerbyGem
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: piracy arguement

Post by DerbyGem »

Its not just taping it off the telly (don't think there's anything wrong in that(?)), but then making copies of those tapes and selling them for profit is illegle.
"There's nothing more terrifying than adolescent humanity"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

When you buy a VCR, you automatically enter into a contract whereby you agree that any recordings you make are for personal and private use only. Hence, piracy breaks that contract and makes you liable for prosecution.
Subject to change.
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

What about giving your master copies to friends, i havent yet but would that be above board?
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I believe the contract for home recordings is the same as that used for commercial video. In other words, no unauthorised copying, hiring and lending. So, I'm afraid you can't do that either, then, Steve.
Subject to change.
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

pity, just have to keep my series 3 recordings to myself
oh well  ;) ;D
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I think it is the profit that was the biggest worry around here, and the actual exchange of MONEY for the series'.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

If copying a tape and giving it to someone else is illegal, is copying a tape and giving it to someone else AND charging them money for it even more illegal?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, I believe that the owners of the programmes would see that as a more significant threat because it would be a business as opposed to a few enthusiasts doing a favour for someone - hence the reason why all this has exploded after some copies went on ebay.
Subject to change.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Well, technically lending any video is illegal but we all do it. Also, if you invite friends to watch it, thats illegal because if you read the small print it says "no public performance" yet EVERYONE does that!

But not all laws are inforced because they are not illegal enough - so its quite a grey area where to draw the line. Because you can be over-cautious.

Heres what I do; until there are more solid laws about piracy, this is where I draw the line...
So long as I don't make a profit out of it, and I don't have to do any work other than just play what I copied (eg, I don't go in for videogame piracy if I need a mod-chip or anything) - then its OK. It needs to be free and it needs to be easy. And until there are better laws, that is what I go by.
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

:-/ What about libraries? they also lend out videos, tapes, CDs and DVDs as well as books.
I don't know if other libraries do it but my local library also charge a fee for items other than books leant out.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

:-/ What about libraries? they also lend out videos, tapes, CDs and DVDs as well as books.
I don't know if other libraries do it but my local library also charge a fee for items other than books leant out.
Yes, but libraries have a special licence. And everyone copies every video/tape/cd/dvd that they get from their library, don't they?
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

And everyone copies every video/tape/cd/dvd that they get from their library, don't they?
*looks around suspiciously at the guilty faces*
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

in all honesty, i have been waiting for this to happen.  its well known that several 'prestigous' traders make more profit than is liked.

trading will not be stopping.  what will probably be happening is we will now move underground and stop taking money as part of transactions.  this will involve people speaking to their friends in chat and on the forum through private messaging.  trading will now consist of sending someone some tapes and a few stamps and the other person making a few copies and using the stamps to cover postage back.

alternatively, it may work in that some episodes are swopped for some other episodes ("I'll copy series 4 for you if you copy series 5 for me") etc.

no money is charged for 'experience' or 'time'.

no profit is made and it is not promoted on a wide scale.  that way, it is going to go un-noticed or the higher up authorities are more likely to turn a blind eye on it.

not that i condone illegalities understand  ;)
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

It'll never be legalised but I can't help but feel that the police have bigger fish to fry. Just don't set up a company called "Bill's Knightmare Bootleg Bonanza."
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.