Can we see a new era of Knightmare

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
theshak06
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Can we see a new era of Knightmare

Post by theshak06 »

Hi Guys,

All the way back on April 3rd of 2010 i was shocked to view very much a lack a of forum activity here at knightmare.com so i sent out a forum message in the general discussion asking if there would ever be a complete DVD of knightmare and to please keep commenting away as we as a whole were the voice for knightmare.

As time goes by I believe the show would survive a comeback with the advent of World of Warcraft and other well renown online rpgs, infact i think it would do amazing well if done correctly. I know the show would have to be re-formatted but it would need to hold its original roots (which would attract the old fans aswell),Tregor who is a CITV unspoken legend in my opinion would need to come back. A lot of things on ITV or HTV (depending where you located) is dying in my opinion (i know some have survived before you say it lol). Where should we go, what should we do? Surely we can pitch someone, somewhere.

If im talking total shite, fair be it but at the very least we as a group can make our own proper dvds cheaply so that everyone can enjoy past series and remember the old times (on the sly at least).

kind regards,

Peter
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Can we see a new era of Knightmare

Post by HStorm »

I doubt it. A few years ago, with Televirtual developing both Timegate and KMVR, it didn't just look possible, but quite likely that there would be a new era. But those projects were shelved due to lack of broadcaster interest. And now Televirtual/Intermedialab have gone to the wall, and Tim Child has retired from producing. While it's possible for someone else to take up the mantle, I can't see anyone going to the trouble without broadcaster-support, and broadcaster's rarely support anything that doesn't have some kind of 'starting product' to demonstrate what the producer is trying to do. Catch-22. (And let's not forget, there was a pilot episode of KMVR, and even then a series did not follow.)
theshak06
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by theshak06 »

Can we at least try and sort of dvds or something as its long overdue.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

There have been many such attempts, the most recent of which can be studied here...

http://www.knightmare.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=2535
theshak06
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by theshak06 »

you know it baffles me why we cant at least see a good dvd, surely someone wud make money
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

What can I say? We've been trying to convince Anglia/Granada Media of that for about eight years now. If you think you can persuade them, by all means give it a try.

http://www.itvstudios.com/itv-global/co ... k-contacts

But I wouldn't hold my breath just waiting for a response, let alone a positive one.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hi Peter,

Your bafflement, surprise, and frustration are shared by most of us here. It is confounded by a number of factors.

The process that has been setup is very simple, but the results are poor. HStorm highlighted the thread to register interest. Please start by adding your support there. (I note it's not there already). It's disconcerting if so few are able to find it, and even more so if forum members are not interested. I'm sure if non-members emailed or messaged support, that would register too.

When you first posted in April, you were concerned about us 'giving up on the website'. [Perhaps you meant the forum?]. Well, an awful lot has been achieved here in the last 12 months, and it is met with relative apathy from wider cyberspace. Almost 10,000 'fans' across Facebook, and just only between 1-2% of that figure have registered their support for DVDs or downloadable episodes. According to this, money would only be lost. All this is proving is that there is no market. It is all in the hands of the people. Where are they? Get campaigning, squire! It's important to raise this incredulity now and again to spur the troops - so thanks!
theshak06
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by theshak06 »

Hi Kam,

Tell me where to register and i will do so, what should i do when you say "registered your support for DVDs or downloadable episodes", Is there a place to do this or do you mean simple email the guys at ITV. God i feel so small though, would it not be a better idea to have a planned mass email campaign. We could set a date or 3 dates in close proximity, put it on the facebook fanpage, put it on the websites frontpage anywhere to get people in the know and then keep people reminding them so they dont forget, then when the time comes ITV get thousands of emails looking for a DVD set of knightmare, this might even peek interest in rediscovering the series somewhat.

Oh when i left a message back in April the website was no where near as good as it is now (good job by the way, its looking brilliant) and the forum seemed to lack a community that appeared to be a lot more vigorous several years ago (i dont know maybe i was looking in the wrong discussions completely so apologies if im wrong lol). I guess i got sad to see support dwindle but thats all changed as there seems to be a new lease of life coming and I randomly see review videos of knightmare from online critics e.g. from the states:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2008/08/17/ ... re-review/

(check it out, spoony is a legend, actually he might be a good guy to get support from as hes a huge Knightmare fan and has a large fanbase).

Long story short is i feel there is still hope and i believe we can acheive something by gather to fans together and setting them a goal.

TheShak
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

KaM has summed up the situation quite nicely, as always.

I spent a good few days looking into exactly what you're suggesting, i.e. making DVDs ourselves. Details (and the place to register your interest) is here: http://www.knightmare.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=2535

The difficulty is that the rights are (comparatively) very expensive. I say "comparatively" because in practice, a mere 500 - 600 sales at about £1.25 per episode would be enough to start generating a profit. BUT, the idea has been met with very little interest, a lot of incredulity at the surprising lack of interest and a general lack of activity of any fans really promoting the idea.

If you really want it to happen, see if you can get some of the millions of Knightmare fans to go and sign that thread.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

theshak06 wrote:Hi Kam,

Tell me where to register and i will do so, what should i do when you say "registered your support for DVDs or downloadable episodes", Is there a place to do this or do you mean simple email the guys at ITV.
Good man! Thanks for signing up since! My apologies: I see that another post of Martin's appeared with a link to ITV as I wrote my reply, which must have seemed a touch confusing.
theshak06 wrote:God i feel so small though, would it not be a better idea to have a planned mass email campaign. We could set a date or 3 dates in close proximity, put it on the facebook fanpage, put it on the websites frontpage anywhere to get people in the know and then keep people reminding them so they dont forget, then when the time comes ITV get thousands of emails looking for a DVD set of knightmare, this might even peek interest in rediscovering the series somewhat.
I think the one sad thing we have all come to learn through correspondence with various companies is that individually we are small and insignificant. A mass email campaign is a nice idea in theory, but if only 200 people join in, it will look hapless. And that could well happen. There have been numerous reminders about the DVD thread that you have just signed across several portals but it's just not growing at any significant rate. Plus, the facebook fanpage is not under the site's jurisdiction.

If we can get start getting a few hundred here to build a campaign [in-house], that would be just as productive, if not more. If I'm a marketing or a merchandise manager, I'm more likely to take notice of something that emanates from this site because I know Facebook tends to be a bit more click-happy and a bit less reliable. Fans here, however, are considerably more likely to translate into actual consumers.
theshak06 wrote:Oh when i left a message back in April the website was no where near as good as it is now (good job by the way, its looking brilliant) and the forum seemed to lack a community that appeared to be a lot more vigorous several years ago (i dont know maybe i was looking in the wrong discussions completely so apologies if im wrong lol). I guess i got sad to see support dwindle but thats all changed as there seems to be a new lease of life coming and I randomly see review videos of knightmare from online critics e.g. from the states: (check it out, spoony is a legend, actually he might be a good guy to get support from as hes a huge Knightmare fan and has a large fanbase).
Cool! Thanks for the feedback. Inevitably, we have seen a rise and fall. This is partly due to Knightmare's 'Generation Web 2.0' congregating at the same time, the RPG, which attracted some discussion back in the day, and Challenge's showing of Knightmare again, which is how many got to see it for the first time since the original run. Now that it has been off again for a few years, discussed to death, all available to those who look for it, and available to discuss in more popular hives than this, we have to work harder than ever before to build new interest and say new things. Thankfully, I think that the revamp and David's awesome work to keep the forum all tidy and navigational is helping to bring some life back.

Yes, Spoony's review is well known! I've invited some of my young tutees to watch it when I introduce them to Knightmare. I just hope the parents are worldly enough to appreciate his ... spelling lessons. ;D
theshak06 wrote:Long story short is i feel there is still hope and i believe we can acheive something by gather to fans together and setting them a goal.
You're quite right! It's just that, as we find, it is hard to make things - even ideas - fashionable. Keep on trying though. If we're all individually insignificant, then we're all, conversely, as important to the movement as each other. 8)
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

KaM wrote:The facebook fanpage is not under the site's jurisdiction.
It occurs to me that there are numerous KM fanpages on Facebook, so an extra one devoted to km.com might be a good idea, as we can simply plug it on the other fanpages. It might be useful to have a direct link between FB and km.com, as it would make it easier to get announcements out to the wider fan community.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

HStorm wrote:
KaM wrote:The facebook fanpage is not under the site's jurisdiction.
It occurs to me that there are numerous KM fanpages on Facebook, so an extra one devoted to km.com might be a good idea, as we can simply plug it on the other fanpages. It might be useful to have a direct link between FB and km.com, as it would make it easier to get announcements out to the wider fan community.
I've already made the suggestion, good sir, and want to see it happen. Would you help to drive traffic our way? You are active, respected and well connected. I think that would help!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I am? News to me. ;)

I do often try to drum up interest, especially on FB, but it's usually pretty ineffective, but I'll stick at it.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

theshak06 wrote:Oh when i left a message back in April the website was no where near as good as it is now (good job by the way, its looking brilliant) and the forum seemed to lack a community that appeared to be a lot more vigorous several years ago (i dont know maybe i was looking in the wrong discussions completely so apologies if im wrong lol). I guess i got sad to see support dwindle but thats all changed as there seems to be a new lease of life coming and I randomly see review videos of knightmare from online critics.

Long story short is i feel there is still hope and i believe we can acheive something by gather to fans together and setting them a goal.

TheShak
The forum is indeed undergoing a period of vibrant and frequent activity, and it's thanks to a recent burst of newcomers like yourself who have helped to make that possible. I'd like to think that the more veteran of forum members here have taken on the comments of others and together, we have all combined to help share a mostly positive discussion in terms of all things related to Knightmare.

Just another point with regards to the "main" Knightmare fan page on Facebook (i.e. the one with almost 10,000 members). Probably known here but (admittedly, rather thankfully) not known whatsover anywhere else is that I am the actual person who created, set up and moderated said page. Taking on board other comments posted on this thread, I have taken the decision to make KaM and Mystara joint admins on there, so hopefully we will get to see some more Knightmare.com-related content on the page in the near future. (As long as the page's members aren't spammed, which I'm sure they won't, then it could well possibly help to trigger an even more active community very soon.)

Peter, if you would like to undertake your own campaigning on the Facebook page, then feel free:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Knightmare/9747116549
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
theshak06
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by theshak06 »

wow i got a few replies since i last posted :). I have gave the facebook page a big like from myself. Im guessing that Kam and yourself a true veterans of this sight. How long have you been on this site yourself?

Peter