Series 8 - Episode 1

JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 8 - Episode 1

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

What would have happened if they had taken the green dagger and any item other than the pigeon droppings? Because all the team got from Motley was 'free' entry into the next room without guiding Richard (because Richard was guided by Motley). Because Stiletta would have given the combination for the trapdoor puzzle and the advisors could have guided Richard into the next room anyway. What about the plot (because Motley would have remianed frozen). Similar situation with the plot if the team had died at, say, Fireball Alley.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 8 Team 1

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

What would have happened if they had taken the green dagger and any item other than the pigeon droppings? Because all the team got from Motley was 'free' entry into the next room without guiding Richard (because Richard was guided by Motley). Because Stiletta would have given the combination for the trapdoor puzzle and the advisors could have guided Richard into the next room anyway. What about the plot (because Motley would have remianed frozen). Similar situation with the plot if the team had died at, say, Fireball Alley.
Joe, you really do have a habit of starting the most interesting threads with these questions. It's great to have these ones that send us all searching through the memories and the video collections. :)

My memories are pretty limited. I may have to dust down the video tomorrow.

The plot. Had anyone already mentioned Motley being trapped like that before they got to the room he was in? If not, there's no problem with the plot if they die in Fireball Alley. From the scroll, the droppings were the obvious thing to take, so the likelihood of them getting to him without them would have been pretty slim. If someone had somehow managed that and died as a consequence of not helping Motley, perhaps the next team would have had to do it. Or perhaps we'd learn it was done by Hordriss or someone later on, in a future team's quest, perhaps when they meet the reanimated Motley for the first time.

As to Motley's role in their quest? Well, since he was still with them when they reached the end of the Level, perhaps he would have helped them in one of the first rooms of Level 2. I doubt very much they could have just left him there and lived.

As I say, I'll check the video too. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 8 Team

Post by Elita »

From the scroll, the droppings were the obvious thing to take, so the likelihood of them getting to him without them would have been pretty slim.

Then again, so was the knife... "Green for a girl, black for a boy" How MORE obvious can you get?  ::)

Good question thought, maybe if they'd been deciding NOT to take the bottle, Treguard and/or Majida would have started dropping not-so-subtle clues. (like with the gold on the clue table with the first team of Series 7) I remeber the red dragon being pretty close behind them as well (didn;t it appear just after they got out of one room?) so maybe if they hadn't had Motley to guide them out, it would just have come in and eaten them.

And was it just me, or did red dragon in Series 6 have a definite pinkish tone?
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

maybe if they'd been deciding NOT to take the bottle, Treguard and/or Majida would have started dropping not-so-subtle clues. (like with the gold on the clue table with the first team of Series 7)
I agree. If it really would mess up a storyline I'm sure the hints would have come thick and fast. "But sureleeee eeee neeeeeds..." and such, although perhaps not quite as blatant. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

I agree. If it really would mess up a storyline I'm sure the hints would have come thick and fast. "But sureleeee eeee neeeeeds..." and such, although perhaps not quite as blatant. :)
Heh... "But Treguard, zee scrool eez sayeeng zey need BLACK, and zee bottle is BLACK..."
"Yes Majida, the bottle certainly is BLACK, like it says on the SCROLL on the CLUE-table..."
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Heh... "But Treguard, zee scrool eez sayeeng zey need BLACK, and zee bottle is BLACK..."
"Yes Majida, the bottle certainly is BLACK, like it says on the SCROLL on the CLUE-table..."
"Yes Treguard. Scroll eeeees good clue, yes? Eeeeeet say black. Like droppeeengs eeees black. And keeeey eeees not. And knife eeeees good. And keeeeey eeees not. But Eeeeees too deeefeeecult. Eeee cannot even seeee what eeee eeees lookeeeeng at."
"Actually, I think he can, Majida"
"Oops. I eeees too far ahead eeen screeept. Eeeees too deeeefeeeecult to reeeemember lines."
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 23 Jan 2003, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

"Yes Treguard. Scroll eeeees good clue, yes? Eeeeeet say black. Like droppeeengs eeees black. And keeeey eeees not. And knife eeeees good. And keeeeey eeees not. But Eeeeees too deeefeeecult. Eeee cannot even seeee what eeee eeees looking at."
"Actually, I think he can, Majida"
"Oops. I eeees too far ahead eeen screeept. Eeeees too deeeefeeeecult to reeeemember lines."
*LMAO!* "Eeees too deeeefeeeeecult Treguard!" has to be Majida's signature quote...
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Every time I see Majida's speech written like that it reminds me of Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

"Ees too deeficult for me!"

*Hit with frying pan*
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Que?
Subject to change.
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

If I had a body...

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

I'd have laughed mah head off with all of this.

Truly, Eeet eess tooo funneeeee for words.  ;D
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Series 8, Episode 1

Post by Lowebo »

For the pure basis i want to start a discussion topic, im posting it 20-odd hours in advance so it's ready and waiting also!! So, Richard's Team... (What a wonderful name!)
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Pipmuk
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 8, Episode 1

Post by Pipmuk »

*Watches the 3-way battle between me, Lord Fear, and Wispy Wit*

OK.

Series 2 Episode 6

Discuss! ;D
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

And i will win - I'll Wisp You All Out! - Series One, Episode One - Discuss. Beat it. Only way...

Series Eight, Episode Ten. Discuss. So Ha. =)
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Series 2, Episode 16! Nyah!

But anyway.... ::)
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Although I've seen Series 8 a couple of times (original CITV broadcast and the rerun on Sci-Fi), I'm still looking forward to seeing it again! Not just for the good series, but I've also heard that this was made in virtual surround sound - so I'll be able to listen to this for the first time. The previous times it was shown I didn't have stereo equipment :(

Back to the actual episode. I think this first episode has a quest both starting and death within the episode! I like the new way they start off the teams "The gate opens, the visor closes, and the game begins!"

I don't think the REACH wand was a necessary addition to the series - nor the ability to carry other items in the knapsack as well - since you can still only carry 2 at a time! Unless there was something that involved moving things about, or climbing up high ledges (needing both hands), there's no reason why they couldn't carry clue objects in the hands instead.

I wonder what the team's view of the dungeon was like? The 'pool' was in fact blue so they could get that image-in-the-pool effect you see on TV, but in fact contains a monitor. I preferred the screen on the wall, probably higher resolution as well ;)

Lord Fear's new base is good as well. I like his new wall-monitor thing (did he nick that from the Powers that be?) with 16 million colors, stereo sound and auto-search across all the levels ;D

The fireball booby-traps on the spy-glass sequences now give the teams a very good clue as to when to put the spy-glass down. Previously, they had to judge for themselves when they had to put it down, perhaps when they heard the alarm or when LF said someone was spying.
But I think in the later episodes especially, key information is said at the point just before the fireball would hit - so you have to use your instinct to tell you when to stop!
As far as I know, no team in any series has died while using a spy-glass though. No team has actually been frozen in time-out while spying either, except this current team. Even then, he hadn't even started spying when the gate came down.

I liked how Daniel read the scroll:
"The... I'll spell this one out... A. C. M. E. self-operating, danger. Horn, M. K. 2."

Overall, good episode, and I'm looking forward to the next one tomorrow! In addition to the hourglass time-out graphic from the previous series, we have a gate coming down over the screen - plus a small bit of banter between Treguard and Majida.
Last edited by Tom41 on 24 May 2004, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!