Dickons Quest in Series 3

9inchsword

Dickons Quest in Series 3

Post by 9inchsword »

I admit this team was excelent all round, but do you feel they could of won in series 3, when there was a distinct lack of winning questss
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Dickons Quest in Series 3

Post by KaM »

It's hard to say, sir. Success in series 3 was always heavily dependant on general knowledge and correct answers. Three questions in level 1, at least two in level 2, and some rather impossible questions, although only one per team, in level 3.

Yes, there was a small element of this in S4 with Oakley and the weeping doors. However, several teams got to escape Oakley's questioning, and as far as it can be told, the door monsters only required a single truth to pass on. At that, they were all 50/50 chanced, and no information amount was levied on correct answers - so, Series 3 for me was more heavily dependant on knowledge. Thinking of Kelly's quest - even 2/ 3 correct responses did not gain them the knowledge required to escape level 1 (unfair) - but, apart from some convincing encounters with door monsters, I'd say the dungeon of  Series 3 was a whole different prospect for Dickon's team. The teams here had to answer off their own backs.. not a 50/50 chance in most cases, and - thinking to a post I've just written recently, the eye shield made life often a lot easier in S4 for directional purposes. Series 3 had nothing to make directions any easier.

My answer to the question/proposal would be possibly, but I honestly think not.
Last edited by KaM on 02 Jul 2003, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Thinking of Kelly's quest - even 2/ 3 correct responses did not gain them the knowledge required to escape level 1 (unfair)
Not unfair at all.  I'll have to dig my knightmare books out to check, but I'm fairly certain that it's part of the adventurer's code.  If there are alternatives to taking gold and silver, then unless directed otherwise you should take them, otherwise it's seen as a sign of greed (even if you're intending to bribe people with it).  Several teams died in series 2 as a result of shunning seemingly useless items for gold/silver.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

as far as it can be told, the door monsters only required a single truth to pass on.
(with apologies for double-quoting)

According to the series guides, you needed one answer to pass in level 1, two for level 2, and all three for level 3.  As you noted, though, I can't find anywhere this is mentioned throughout the actual broadcasts... wonder where this idea came from :)
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Howdy. Yep. Definitely in agreement. I haven't spotted anything relating to gold or silver in my books as yet, but since you pointed it out, I will keep looking. Yet, payment of some kind was always relatively prominent in many quests - one can understand the average team taking a bar of gold over something else.

As for the correct answers / knowledge situation - well.. maybe it's not unfair, but what I'd bicker about is why they were the only team of the series (I suppose I'm wrong, but even if I am, they were amongst the minority) to answer 2 correctly and earn no more clues. All I'd argue is why is wasn't kept the same for everybody - even if it appears blantantly obvious, by adventurers code or otherwise, which objects to take.

Yeh, I'm still a bit baffled by the door-monster idea. I'd imagine, as you say, the 'requirements' on each level are more difficult - but it was still far easier having 50 / 50 chances along the way than having to answer two of Merlin's riddles, and then a real stinker of a level 3 riddle to have a chance of winning in S3. (My op. anyhow.  ;) )
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.