Series 4 VCD

Lord_Kram
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Series 4 VCD

Post by Lord_Kram »

Hello all
Just thought Id let u all know that I have been recording all of series 4 onto my pc at the moment, but havent posted any episodes on this board, because leggy has already done so. Also my episodes are all in very high quality mpeg format (VCD ready) so the file sizes are quite huge. But at the end of the series, I will be making full series on VCD's so you can all play them in your dvd players etc!!
If I get enough interest, I will be able to do copies for around £5 each
Please let me know what u think!
PS I will be doing the same with the whole of series 3 when it is repeated!! ;D
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Jun 2003, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Aldude
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Series 4 VCD

Post by Aldude »

not wanting to sound tight...  well obviously i am sounding tight, but i don't want to be - but i have fallen into the trap of paying £10 for really really REALLY bad quality S4 tapes (not mentioning any names).  I'm not saying that your VCD quality is bad.  I'm sure they're very good.  but i think £10 is still a little bit much.  I'd say go for maximum £5.  i really do sound tight don't I?  man!!  gotta shake that habit :)

Ali
Sidestep to the left....
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but...

Post by Dan »

I'd say as soon as you start charging any money at all with a view to making a profit you're on incredibly shakey legal ground.  It's illegal to do this anyway, but due to the lack on an official release people may well turn a blind eye - but when you start profiting from it, as in the case of the ebay sellers, you'll end up with cease and desist letters from Anglia's lawyers very quickly.

I don't know how many (V)CDs you'd end up making for an entire series, but my experience of them is that high -quality ones will easily be of the order of 400 Meg or so.  That means you're only going to get one on a CD.  That's 16 CDs for series 4.  That's between 80 and 160 quid you'd be charging, which is way above the cost of p&p and way above what any offical series DVD would cost if released.

I'd be very careful about this because it's bordering on commercial piracy.

Edit: even if I've misunderstood and you're going to be selling the entire series for 5-10 pounds, you STILL want to be very careful about using the word "sell"..
Last edited by Dan on 11 Jun 2003, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Kram
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Lord_Kram »

well, I didnt forget about the copyright etc, but I am willing to do peeps  vcd's of them. The file sizes are around 220mb each, and in plain VCD format, I can actually get 3 episodes on 1 cd, so that ,means there will be only be 5 cds for the whole series! I have played them in my dvd player, and they come out brilliant! Although you are certainly correct about the copyright issues etc, I dont want to be getting myself into trouble!  :(
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Jun 2003, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Hmmm, charging money for KM episodes has already been put an end to. This will also make it less likely that we'll get an official DVD release of KM.

Not that I'm critisising or anything - I know you mean well; but there are legal issues.
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Please read the Tape Piracy thread before doing anything: http://www.knightmare.info/forum/yabb/Y ... 1049481669
You're on the edge of a ledge...
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Hmmm, charging money for KM episodes has already been put an end to. This will also make it less likely that we'll get an official DVD release of KM.

Not that I'm critisising or anything - I know you mean well; but there are legal issues.
This is my position too. We all know how frustrating the lack of official release is. We all know people producing illegal copies and such mean well- and it's so encouraging that people are willing to go to such trouble so others can enjoy the episodes. However, Granada own the copyright- complete with no unauthorised reproduction and distribution terms, I suppose. We're not just wagging fingers for the sake of it or to sound righteous- it really would be a great shame if anyone were to face adverse consequences as a result of their goodwill.

I'd love for us to turn our energies to trying to get an official release, for all the reasons we've repeated tens of times before- I wonder if Tim might be able to suggest any ways in which we could help to make this more likely. If we had something to do- something concrete we saw as possibly helping in some way- it would surely stave off illegal copying better than any repeated warnings from Granada.    
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]