stop bashing season 4 so much!(long read)

SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

stop bashing season 4 so much!(long read)

Post by SrWilson3S »

Man why all this series 4 hate I quite like it its dark and moody unlike series 5. Plus series 4 was beggining of seeing corridor of blades and the B n T Has priceless moments.
The reason 4 gets so much stick is because after series 3 people can't take it that its entirely different and its been made much easier granted that is true however what you need to remember is series 4 was just the beggining of the build up for series 6.
series 1 2 & 3 are similar concept inside the dungeon and all rooms are in the 3 series at some stage.
Series 1 begins it all series 2 added improvements and series 3 took everything good from 1 and 2 plus its own features to make it th best of the original km trilogy :P If ya like.
Then the second era begins the pickle era :P new technology has come present and they are experimenting new ideas including outdoor surroundings using real life locations and then adding colour edits to sharpen the mood series 4 and 5 were experiements in a way and the good things from series 4 and 5 (Ie causeways etc though the B n T should have seen another season or two) were all improved and put in series 6 along with that series other own new features it made it the overall best of that outdoor trilogy.
Series 7 technology has really come on along way there and we see alot of scenery for outdoors now is actually computer generated and completly fictional this is kinda of a outdoor series all in its own right and nothing really obstacle wise is in it from the previous 3 seasons has new challenges instead.
Series 8 is a indoor series all in its own right too since nothing from the original 3 is in series 8.
I posted this in the worst series thread but I actually think this could make a good topic all of its own talking about how series 1 2 3 are a trilogy and how they build up for 3 the big pay off.
4 5 6 are a set which build up with 6 being the payoff of that era.
And 7 & 8 are kinda a indivdual series all updated brand new stuff but based upon the concepts of earlier seasons IE series 7 off 4 5 & .6 out door and series 8 with indoor concept of 1 2 & 3.
Last edited by SrWilson3S on 14 May 2004, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:stop bashing season 4 so much!(long read)

Post by Elita »

I actually prefer Series 4 to Series 5....
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I still think that series 4 was good as a mixture of old and new. The characters were good and so were the locations, but I have always believed that Knightmare was at its best when inside the dungeon.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

People tend to base credit for S4 most of the time on, "Well it was better than S5". This is hardly a stirring endorsement is it? Yes, I prefer it to s5 too, but that's like pointing out that I prefer Tony Blair to Margaret Thatcher.

In any case, s4 needs to be a good season in its own right, not just setting things up for season 6, to be judged a success. Judged on its own merits, s4 was repetitive (not just the same locations over and over, but the running order hardly ever changed), had visually monotonous colour schemes, and neverendingly recycled dialogue - how many times did we have to hear Pickle pretending to be astonished and delighted to discover that the Eye-Shield could see?

And s4 had very few dark and moody moments. Most of levels 1 & 2 were outdoors in the bright, wide open spaces of rural England. What's so dark about that?

But if you want to use its contribution to later seasons as a defence, consider this... s6 wasn't a particularly good season either, dominated as it was by repetitive causeway puzzles and unexciting, uninteresting locations. So why give s4 a round of applause for setting it up?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

Personally season 4 has some of my favourite rooms and moments. Yes it was a bit slow at times, and yes it was sad to see how Merlin's character had developed into a shadow of his former self. But overall some of the ideas were fantastic.

How many children's programmes of that time or even now, would allow the use of pills called "Uppers" and "Downers" and get away will the drug association? Its that kind of cheeky humour that I like and not only that, Knightmare wasn't patronising kids like most programmes did and still do.
Aside from that, the scenes with the smaller dungeoneer were very cool to watch.

You also have to take into account that season 4 gave us the fantastic Corridor of Blades. I will never forget how I felt the first time I watched someone attempt to tackle it and I still get that rush now.

In terms of its slowness and repetitiveness, I do wonder if perhaps these are things that we identify more as we get older. I was 7/8 at the time of broadcast and I can't remember ever being bored, or noticing the repeating of certain lines. You have to remember that some people might have just tuned in, having never seen the programme before, so the repeating of certain key bits of info would have been necessary at times.

And okay, I suppose I am slightly biased about Season 4 because it had Pickle in!!! ;D
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I quite enjoyed the radical change from S3 to 4. I also enjoy the season an awful lot, possibly based on how much the format did change, yet still worked.

I found S4 to have the best outdoor locations, too. The dark, gloomy forests actually look pretty good, which is where S5 did not quite make it ~ They tended to be too bright, I found, although they improved the gameplay for that season.

Anyway, S4 rules! As do the others!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

I like all of the series accept for 1. The assasins and howling of wolves were my fawouwrite part of Knightmare (along with other things)
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

The wolves wre good, they helped to keep teams on their toes. Fatilla was good for comedic value.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

there is no way we can compare each season the the other.
There is no way that one season is any worse than the other.

Look at seasons 4 poor moments,
Look at it's best,, every season is the same.. trouble with both s4/s5 was each quest was smear.. but I'm really looking forward to seeing it again, it's been a while since i saw it last on challenge,

it not really that different from seasons 6 and 7.
a few puzzles, easy level 1, but a good level 3.
But the Blades and B n T were something,

But they did over use the eye shield, bit boring compared to the others but we can't really compare them. But i would never rate S or 6 the best. Or s4 and 5 the worse., it's possible to have personal favs but this topic isn't about being bias.

But s4 did have a very poor winning quest, the last moments were not good, i guess Malice isn't much of a boss. But the last episode was good.. that team has 3 of s4 best puzzle rooms all on level 3 (Blades, Blocks, Transporter pad) S4 was just alittle slow as a season.

And credit to season 5 for having a far better Great causway then season 6, s5 causeways were far better anyway.. but again s6 had the timer.
Pluss seasons 8 new Reach wand.. didn't like this when i 1st saw it but now i think it was great idea.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I prefer series 4 from series 5 in that series 4 has more of a 'nightime' quality to it. It also has that sort of creepy, deserted feel that series 1-3 had. This feel wasn't in series 5-8.
Subject to change.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

S4 was my second favourite after Series 6 (Barry was number 1, but wasn't really a series, that would be silly. Although....) 4 just had this "feel" to it - the outdoors was a welcome change, and is the first one i truly remember. It was kind of a spring clean as well, out with the old etc. It seemed less challenging but harder?? Can't Explain!!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Series 4 just has that really outdoor creepy feel about it IMO the were wolves , assasins and stuff all helped add to the atmosphere though the B and T really shoulda seen another season or so.
Anyway keep posting guys im having a good read :-).
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Malefact wrote: I prefer series 4 from series 5 in that series 4 has more of a 'nightime' quality to it. It also has that sort of creepy, deserted feel that series 1-3 had. This feel wasn't in series 5-8.
HMM, I thought there were a few parts of series 8 that had that feel (a select few that is)... But yes, they did have a creepy feel, and series 4 also kept that feel, where as they lost that in series 5. I feel they brought back the 'scaryness' in some ways for season 6. When the dungoneer was in a dwarf tunnel for example, and you had the sound effects, my heard started racing sometimes! ::)
Last edited by KFan on 17 May 2004, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

It was a bit slow, but then again a bit different too with all that new stuff and chararcters.
I didn't like how Tregurad NEVER said oh nasty, and went back to his very gay saying
What a pity , in a very saarcastic way!!!
knightmaredave
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: stop bashing season 4 so much!(long read)

Post by Aldarion »

I like the outside locations - and the fact that it was the last series before they introduced a certain ineffective "pantomime villain". But there weren't enough stalker scenes in this series (and, back then, in my mind, that was what KM was all about!)