Series 3 - Episode 3

MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 3 - Episode 3

Post by MoanaLiza »

Is it me or were they let off on more than one occasion? did they get blown up in the bomb room and also were they let off on the long green cavern path or were the dark shades of green not quicksand on this occasion?
Last edited by Drassil on 05 Jan 2011, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title adjusted to improve navigation.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 3 team 3

Post by Tom41 »

I think they got out of the bomb room a couple of milliseconds before the bomb went off. And as for the green path, look carefully and you'll see a large area of slightly different shade of green. This is the quicksand pit that the previous team stepped into. Not all the dark green areas are quicksand.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 3 team 3

Post by MoanaLiza »

I also hated when the break came on and time out happened as well!
Mogdred
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Simon's Quest

Post by Mogdred »

Was this boy hard-of-hearing or was his mic broken? His advisors were bawling at him to move and he just stood ther like a lemon!
Look upon Mogdred now, look upon Mogdred and QUAIL...
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Simon's Quest

Post by Velda »

Lol, maybe his ears were ringing from Mr Grimwold's roaring in the stone room (I laugh every time I watch that now).
Mogdred
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Simon's Quest

Post by Mogdred »

GET OUT OF IT!!!!!!!
Look upon Mogdred now, look upon Mogdred and QUAIL...
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 3 episode 3

Post by MoanaLiza »

Sorry if there is already a thread as I couldn't see one as either I didn't see it or there isn't one. But anyway I will add a few episode comments at the end of this ep.
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Jul 2004, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 3 episode 3

Post by Tom41 »

Merlin and the Dungeoneer clearly weren't together in the blue room. The dungeoneer walked forward, and if Merlin had still been there would have bumped into him ;) (He hadn't quite completed fading away)

Scored 2/2 on Merlin's riddles and got a DANCE spell.

I liked the cave sequence, where the dungeoneer appeared to move seamlessly between the various 'rooms' of the caves, with goblins in hot pursuit!

McGrew appeared for the first time, then they used the DANCE spell on him! Even though he was shouting 'I'll do anything!' they didn't disspell it! However, he didn't actually say that line until the dungeoneer was at the door and going through! No prompts from Treguard either!

Next room, first appearance of that scary magic sword (with the sound effect), they died due to their life force running out. The sword caused the life force to drain at an increased rate, and it was still a 'lock-in' as such, so wasn't a death just due to life force drain.
Death was slightly unfair in my opinion. The team should have either got a prompt from Treguard, or McGrew should have been saying "I'll do anything" and stuff before they got to the door. From that point on they were in losing status and got killed off by the sword in the next room.

Next team - did you notice the footstep sound effects didn't match the dungeoneer's body movements? ;)

The ogre in the corridor looked a little low-resolution, as if he'd been filmed from much further off then digitally resized!
Just escaped the Bomb Room as the bomb exploded - took their time positioning the dungeoneer to get through the door!
(If it wasn't for Challenge cutting to an ad break, I might have been able to freeze-frame and see the outline of the blue room during the bomb explosion - see my post in the Chromakey thread)

Team told the dungeoneer to 'watch out for bats' in the tunnel, although as far as I know the bats have never killed or harmed a dungeoneer.

Scored 3/3 on Golgarach's riddles, and used the "I Command You" line to get extra information. The extra clue was "A blood-red stone will bring you grief" so it was pretty obvious which items to take!

In the snake room, there appeared to be a patch of different-coloured floor where the dungeoneer entered. Uneven lighting in the blue room?

In the room which used to be Ariadne's lair, there was a flashing sword guarding the right door - plus the ogre (Mr Grimwold) came chasing them! Thankfully, this team didn't step into the pit in the valley ;)
Seamless change between camera angles as he was going through the valley - though the dungeoneer must obviously have been repositioned by the crew in between shots!

Threw down the gauntlet to Velda, and gained a 'step' clue. Then Velda chased off the ogre!

I liked the completely dark room where they had to hold up the candle. Notice how the candle magically lights when he holds it up, with no match necessary!
Ooh, almost fell off by sidestepping in the wrong direction here ;)

Mrs Grimwold tried to guide the dungeoneer towards Festus, but the advisers noticed and stopped him in time. Got down the wellway to level 2... and straight onto the Spindizzy!
This time there was a clue as to which door to take - a crown above the middle door.
I thought the team had died, since time-out (bong) occurred just as he jumped off the spindizzy! Then Treguard appeared in the cave mouth, and was replaced by a giant toad as the credits rolled! The bottom mask of the credits roller was set too high - it was 1/4 of the way up the screen!
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Episode 3

Started with Merlin's second truth and gardening tips.

Picked up part of the shield in the corridor of the catacomb and were chased by the Goblins through four chambers - one of the first prolonged Goblin Horn concerts.

First appearance of MacGrew - sterotype at large - used the DANCE spell.

Killed by a sword in the minecart room. Probably a bit of a harsh death - it didn't even cross the teams mind to dispell as they guided the dungeoneer out and I don't think that sort of thing was repeated in Knightmare.

New dungeoneer asked to "call three stout friends to guide him "

Through the dice to the Ogre in the catacombs - the direction is a bit off
"sidestep, side step ... turn around"

Prefect score with Golgarach, passed Ka and the Ogre before meeting Velda and throwing down the gauntlet.

Used the candle to light up the ledge an met Mrs G. in the wellway room. She tried to feed the dungeoneer to
Festus.

Landed on the Spindizzy and finished with a jump into the unknown.

Bit of a boring ep without to much going on, the team are quite excitable though.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

An unfair death indeed- as has been said, much of what McGrew said after being spellcast was just random shouting, and it's not until half a second before the dungeoneer leaves when he says 'I'll do anything for ye!' and by then it's too late.
This new team have had quite a few close shaves- they very nearly died in the bomb room after a 'sidestep left-right!' incident, paniced like mad when the Ogre said 'RAAAAAAAAH!' despite being miles away, almost fell off the chasm in what used to be the Troll's lair, and Simon stumbled a bit on the Spindizzy. I noticed he called out the advisors names in the wrong order, too. I do like bits where teams appear astounded by the CGI, though- Deborah said 'Ooh!' when the dice unfolded!
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I missed the first couple of minutes and also Tom has covered most things. So basically very short time from the start of the episode to when the team are killed off. They meet McGrew, almost get killed off and so they make him dance. With his pleas, which we can clearly hear they ignore and make their getaway only to find themselves in the room with the minecart entrance and a sword guarding it. The sword then comes after them and with them trying to escape from it get their lifeforce completely drained.

New team we see the corridor of the Catacombs again for another series and this time with an Ogre in it, which comes after Simon. Simon just manages to escape being blown up in the in the bomb room and the team do really well answering Golgarach's riddle's, which again more riddle's I couldn't answer. Went past the Dreaded Kar, which I doubt would have harmed him unless he went too close, which then he probably would've fallen off the edge. Almost get caught up by Grimwold again, who follows him until he meets Velda. Throws down the gauntlet (glove) when asks to prove himself Velda the fights off grimwold when he reaches them. In a dark room Simon is asked to hold up the candle, which lights up the room. The team guide him to the food (crab) near by and then out off the room, which Simon almost falls off the ledge as the advisor says sidestep left instead of right when he is near the door. They are just lucky. we see Mrs G doing or trying to do some knitting and ends up dropping the needle when saying "knit one, pearl one, drop one". Tries to guide Simon the wrong way to the well, until the advisors step in and stop Simon. Mrs G then decides to point Simon in the right direction. Go down the well and land on Spin dizzy, which appeared to make Simon slightly dizzy and he wobbled a bit. Stepped off at the crown door at the same moment time out took place.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Harvey Towers wrote:it didn't even cross the teams mind to dispell as they guided the dungeoneer out and I don't think that sort of thing was repeated in Knightmare.
It does; one team dis-spell TOAD, cast on McGrew by an incognito Mogdred. I believe that he later helps by pushing them in the mine cart, so without them dis-spelling they'd probably have suffered the same fate.

Cliff's team were probably panicking trying to get Cliff out the room, believing him still to be in danger - it was McGrew's first appearance, so probably not played as well as it could have been. Not enough clues to make it obvious that mercy should be shown. But it's not exactly the harshest death ever, either (darkness powder?) - and not many teams get as far as Cliff does this series.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

What I mean is no team is expected to dispell magic that they cast on an ememy!

I remember watching a series 7 or 8 ep when the dungeoneer has to "put his foot down". First he stomps the 2 goblins (or maybe they were miremen) then Raptor. At the time, I wondered if this was going to be a similar explanation where they should have spared Raptor to get help. It turns out this ws not the case and, had he left Raptor, he would probably have been captured and would have lost.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Harvey Towers wrote:What I mean is no team is expected to dispell magic that they cast on an ememy!
Well, I think I know what you mean, but that definition isn't valid either because of the ANVIL-type spells in earlier (and later) series; however, in those cases it was pretty obvious (and hints had been given anyway) that it was expected of you to dis-spell the magic, as it had rendered your enemy no longer a problem and was going to do the same to you...

The problem I have with the "no other team was expected to do this" argument (in general - I'm not picking on you here 8)) is that lots of teams had unique challenges, with some easier than others; however we as watchers do tend to think of the cases where the team prevails as easier than those where the team fails.

Edit: I hate spotting mistakes whilst waiting for the post to submit :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Jul 2004, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I thought the death was fair enough. McGrew may not have made his "I'll dae anythin' for thee!" appeal until they'd reached the door, but that sounded like a last desperate cry from him - he'd been squealing for mercy right from the instant the spell started up, so it was obvious the team had him on the ropes. Not only would it have been the fair thing to let him go, it would also have been a smart situation to exploit (like when the winners from S6 had Hordriss over a barrel).
Last edited by HStorm on 14 Jul 2004, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.