Batale Of The Merchents.

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Batale Of The Merchents.

Post by Skarkill »

Well following on from my previouse post (which I thought was recived prety well for a first attempt) I thought I would put two other Simielar Opposition Minnions up aginst each other

So here is the batale of the Opposition Traders.

JULIUS SCARAMONGER (S5-S6) & HONESTY BARTRAM (S8 )

So here are those stats

Julius Scaramonger:

Lenth Of Service: 2 sesons

Fright Factor: 4/10

Comedy Value: 9/10

Difficulty: 5/10

Number Of Kills: 1

Synopsis

The original Opposition Trader (in fact the very first KM Trader ever). The Trader who was something short of crimminal Julius Scaramonger lied, poched, sweet talked and cheated his way though the dungeone for 2 sesons.

Originaly of no fixed alliance  in S5 Julius proved he could be helpful to quests if he choses to be but as the series progressed it became clear that Julius was certainly no good guy. One dungeoneer caught him poching in the green wood, and others he tried to con in to buying usless objects even when he had exactly what they were after (and needed to survive).

He is deffinatly responsibale for one death it was Scaramonger who sold Chris the CHANGE spell that turned Chris in to a goblain and contributed to the teams downfall.

In S6 with the arrival of The Powers That Be's own trader Ah Wok in Wolfenden Julius became more a henchman to Lord Fear and much more of an oppstical to quets he also developed a nasty strek. He conspierd to Have Ah Wok Killed. Julius also became involved in the plot to import The Red Dragon "Red Death" into the dungeon.

Julius would develop a drink problem due to his failing buissness and left the dungeon Broke, drunk and depressed. A fitting end for a man who had profited at others exspence.

Honesty Bartram:

Lenth Of Service: 1 seson

Fright Factor: 2/10

Comedy Value: 5/10

Difficulty: 2/10

Number of Kills: 1

Synopsis

Honesty Bartram took up the role of the dungeons residant roge trader in the final sereis.

He never realy had the chance to prove himself proply to the majority of KM fans but he still left something of an impresion even if it is not as good as his predosessor.

Honesty was deffinatly comical character along the lines of Julius but never realy seemed to hit the mark. His habbit of sttutering over some words became very un-funny fast and also his name was a little to corny even for KM.

However Bartram like Scaramonger can bost one victaim to his doggy tradeing as it was due to him tradeing the dungeoneer Danial a spell (which was probably false) for his Sight potion taht led to Danials demise in the dreaded CoB (Corridor Of Blades)

So while Honesty Bartram was deffinalty no Julius Scaramounger he was still a decent replacment and given more time could have become just as good.

So there you have it as you can see this time I'm a fan of both contenders so I won't be voteing myself.

But who do you think was the best Opposition Trader?

SCARAMONGER OR BARTRAM.

Also are there any other charatcers you would like to see go up aginst each other.

e.g How about

MILDRED vs MRS. GRIMWOLD (The Battale of The Dungeon Hags)

or

SLY HANDS vs SNAPPER-JACK (Most Commical Dungeon Baddie)

or any others it dosen't have to be villianes I'am quite willing to do The Powers That Be as well.
Last edited by Skarkill on 27 Nov 2003, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Batale Of The Merchents.

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I'll unsurprisingly vote for Master Scaramonger. I think he's so funny, and really nicely acted. The poaching scene is brilliant, and he even makes stock lines like "How much do you want for that Eye Shield?" funny and believable, even the second or third time. I do love the fact that he really does try sometimes to get dungeoneers to buy useless items, or at least things they're not meant to be buying. Thus, he's a challenge to encounter and deal with, which is great as far as dungeon characters go- so much better than actors who just seem so eager to volunteer the bit of information or item that the team in progress needs. To be fair to Honest Bartram, he didn't get much time to develop himself, but what I did see didn't impress me too much.

I do like these threads. It's a lovely idea, Skarkill. (Oh, I'll wear that joke out soon.) You could include Mistress Goody in with the hags. Or you could widen if to hags and witches (inc. Greystagg and Heggatty) or do hags (Mrs. G and Mistress Goody) separately from witches (Mildread?, Heggatty, Greystagg). Jesters would be good, and mages (well, the decentish aligned ones- Merlin, Hordriss, Grimaldine). The better aligned traders are a possibility. Or a choice among the elves! If you don't value your life, you could do the Majida vs. Pickle thing- just be careful not to get caught in the crossfire.

Anyway, great stuff.

Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 20 Nov 2003, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Oh, and a battle among all the Swordmistresses/Greenwardens and such. And dungeon maids.

I'll shut up now.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

That Is One Contest I refuse to get in the middle of The Battle between Pikle & Midijer.

That would be both un-wise and Un-LOVELY.

Actualy I was Think of makeing the Hags battale a four-way between

Mildred

Mrs. Grimwold

Mistress Goody

&

Heggety.

I Think I'll do that one next time unless anyone else has any other prefrences.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

I vote for Julius on the pure fact that he is a great actor and from watching S5 its easy to tell how dense some of the teams he had to deal with were
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

This kind of thing is similar to the Big Issue in the Eye Shield. Maybe you could send this stuff to Jake Collins for the Big Issue.

Just one factual error, Honesty Bartram sold a spell, not a password, to Daniel, (in exchange for the SIGHT potion), and it was used to avoid miremen. Daniel still died without the SIGHT potion, though.

And I wouldn't count Julius Scaramonger's 'kill' though - getting changed into a goblin wasn't what caused the death - it was the team not taking the folderol, and therefore not getting the blocker password.

Incidentally, other characters that could be done are Velda, Gwendoline and Romahna (a three-way comparison) (from what I can gather, they seem rather similar sorts of characters).
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

I never said that the team turning in to the goblain was the main  cause of there death I only said it contributed to there demise.

And I have a suppision that had they take the other spell on offer they would not have become a goblain and even without Motleys Help would have got through as Brother Mace would have probabley told them the Blocker Password.

I think this because that Blocker apperd pretty early on in a leval especialy for level 2.

Thanks for the correction Joe Grocott-James.

I might just send these in to The Eye Sheild as I have already contributed a 3-part artical.

For anyone who is intrested it starts in isshue 5 (January)
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Julius by a mile - dont remember bartram - no impression left on me!

Rayner Bourton & Mark Knight = legends.
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I'm going to be sifferent and say that Ah Wok trounces BOTH Scaramonger and Bartram since he was funnier thatn both of them put together and was also more helpful to dungeoneers.

Having been played by Mark Knight, he deserved to be in more than just one series.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Amen Ah Wok was the best tradesman in KM period he was hella entertaining all the way through.
But if were talking just opposition I like SCaramonger best of the opposition tradesmen.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

Well Ah Wok and Rothenberay will be makeing an apperence in a latter thread.

So if you two whant to wait with those votes untill then

(All though I think it could be a bit of a one sided affair like Skarkill Vs Raptor.)

I am going to vote for both since I like both so the score stands at

Julius Scaramonger: 5   Honesty Bartram: 1
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Julius Scaramonger, far better
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

6-1 ouch! Julius is doing a fine job here!
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

You could say he's robbing Honesty Bartram instead of the dungeoneers for a change  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Julius Scaramonger had 'Young Grimwold' working for him by the end of Series 6.  8)

But Ah Wok got away with calling Sidriss 'Syphiris' in Series 6 (bear in mind his accent  :D).

They both have their moments, but I prefer JS overall. I'd love to have seen 'Mrs. Scaramonger and all the little Scaramongers'!
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.