Easter Eggs

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Easter Eggs

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Have anybody here discovered any 'Easter Eggs' in Knightmare? By that I mean an amusing tidbit or something similar (which occur in films and also computer software). Incidentally, why are these things known as Easter Eggs?
Gwion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Easter Eggs

Post by Gwion »

Easter eggs are often hidden in the garden for children to find at easter. This is a more common tradition in america though.

Knightmare sometimes had puzzles for viewers, like finding the letters to spell a word, you would send in the answer and maybe win some prize if yours was the first to be drawn from the postbag. Can't remember any specific examples though.

The players didn't seem to see these special letters though, I assume they were put on afterwards.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

This is a more common tradition in america though.
Is it?  I always thought it was a rather british tradition.
Gwion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Gwion »

Is it?  I always thought it was a rather british tradition.
I thought it might be why the poster did not know the reference (I assumed he was british) but Im obviously wrong then, it has been a few years :)
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

U can also find 'easter eggs' on dvds  ;)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Easter Eggs can be found in practically any part of computer software - and, indeed, DVDs - there's a big list of them on www.eeggs.com - but it intrigues me to think of them appearing in Knightmare!

Two instances of things being 'added on' to the episodes in post-production happened - in Series 4 a series of letters appeared throughout the rooms, and viewers were invited to spell out a word with the letters which appeared.
Also in Series 5, a scroll appeared, bafflingly, mid-quest, unfurling to read "Another name for Hordriss?" Again, this was a CiTV competition. The answer was 'Harris'.

However, if you're looking for secrets in Knightmare, you need look for bloopers, in my view - just check out the staircase in the Castle of Doom, Series 4 - there's a hazard warning sign on the wall! In fact, most Eye Shield sequences, particularly in the early series' where they weren't computerised at all, had a few of these in...
Last edited by Pooka on 04 Jul 2003, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I'm not very good at spotting bloopers, although I did spot one in series 5 at the start of episode 2: Hordriss stands up, the camera stays with him and, of course, the superimposed backdrop doesn't budge! :)

Regarding Easter Eggs on a Km DVD, it'd be nice (although probably impossible due to legal reasons) to have, say, a second hidden 'play episode' button that shows its old Children's ITV link.

The Chromakey Experiment footage would be an excellent Easter Egg, too, imo.
Subject to change.
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

The letters appearing ("EXCALIBAR", bad spelling I know) were actually in the early part of series 3.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."