The Goblins

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Donna
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

The Goblins

Post by Donna »

Can Anyone remember the horn sounded when a group of goblins was near, LoL that used to freak me out so much when i was a kid lol. Funny Enough Ive been watching it again on challenge TV on Sky and the Sound of that horn always sends a chill down my spine.

Donna :'(
Run the goblins are comming!
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Re: The Goblins

Post by Pickle123 »

lol, yeah...watching series 4 now i just think...they wanted a cheap way for the team to hurry up so found a sound effect ;D

i fear i am a cynic ;)

EDIT - oh by the way, welcome donna...you have floaty skulls baptism to look forward to (tip: find some pie fast ;D)
Last edited by Pickle123 on 12 Jun 2003, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

The Goblins were brilliant, I think, and were certainly a greater threat than most people think. Their "would you like a present?" - induced death in Series 3 was brilliant.

In later series, the goblin horn certainly added a lot of panic, and sometimes they could be used for comic relief - perhaps not Grippa and Rhark (except for their pestering of Sly during Barry's quest in S7), but definitely Tiny - he was an incredibly funny character, espeically when he trod on Skarkill's foot!

All in all, the Knightmare goblins rocked. Not a particularly hard thing to get past, but their addition to Lord Fear's army made for some good menace.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

lol, i never realised the small two had names! :o ;D Brilliant...you learn somthing new everyday.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Mushroom
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mushroom »

yeah, the sound always used to frighten me... my elder brother used to imitate it to try and scare me, but usually ended up sounding like a fool!
What was the deal/difference between goblins and hobgoblins by the way? i never quite understood that one.

Oh, and watching it again on Challenge, the thing that really did send a shivver down my spine was seeing Ariadne again!
-Mushroom.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Agreed with all.

The goblins were always fantastic enemy minions - and did well to inspire a lot of panic - especially in my living room.

They always looked horrific, especially the hob-goblins.. and the prospect of facing them wasn't ever very pleasant. Yes, they weren't often winners, but never walk-overs.. and made for great tension when the horn sounded and left the teams aware they had seconds to complete their tasks (S4, Team 1, find the elf-path escape; Team 7, Play Your Cards Right etc) before they were hunted down.

Prone for some great moments: the proposition of offering presents was a classic; the goblin trailing Barry falling down the chasm on the Play your Cards Right puzzle was brilliant; the hobgoblin being zapped by the gatekeeper; Smirkenoff saving Nicola in S7 from a clutch with Raptor; and my favourite - after Chris had escaped from quite a huge hunting pack of goblins in the final episode of S3, Hordriss wonderfully proud and powerful, dispersed them with a rapid magic sabre.

Always great for KM.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Sorry to have missed the point about goblins and hob-goblins, sir. Must have taken me so long to write that last post up.

Hob-goblins were seen as giant goblins - and they were huge on-screen - terrifying really. Quite rare as well -  appearances memorable are in S3, L3 (Martin), crossing the gatekeeper (Last team, S5) and Tiny appearing in S6. Very different proposition.. but the smaller goblins were always the threat.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

;DI love Goblins  ;D
I Love Goblins
Shepps
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Shepps »

Weird thing about todays episode, the horn was meant to scare the goblins away, but instead of the high pitchjed sound effect they use, they just used the normal goblin horn sound.

So how exactly would the normal sounding one scare them away ??  Surely it would just attract attention.  ;D
Spellcasting D-I-S-M-I-S-S
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

If a person was coming towards you with a sheild that has an eye in it, and is able to narrigate perfectly well even tho they are wearing a sinster looking horned helmet, blowing a horn, wouldn't you be scared?
I Love Goblins
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Time to DIEEE horribly...

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

{Floats over to Donna, and grins evilly.}

Welcome - I must now proceed to do the 'Skull Initiation ceremony...Mwahahaha.

{Degrades her life points to Critical Red. }

Now, you have roughly 12 seconds to find a pie, or some other substance of food, before we have to find a toe-tag for you.

{Floats off, again cackling evilly.}
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
Donna
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Donna »

lol white floating skull ::)

Donna :-[
Last edited by Illusion on 17 Jun 2003, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Run the goblins are comming!
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Heh...

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

Just call it my welcoming ceremony... :-X

I'm just a huge fan of the floating skulls...it always makes me grin madly whenever a Dungeoneer is in utter peril when one appears. They never really did much on the whole, but they were fun to support.  ;D

Still:

Down with Goblins, UP with the Skulls...we rule the dungeons.
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

I don't remember a skull killing anyone... or did we see that in season 3? i can't remember... but a huge damage to the life force each time they really did there job.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Shepps
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Shepps »

If a person was coming towards you with a sheild that has an eye in it, and is able to narrigate perfectly well even tho they are wearing a sinster looking horned helmet, blowing a horn, wouldn't you be scared?
Not Goblins, they're hard  ;) ;D
Spellcasting D-I-S-M-I-S-S