Poll: Which floating nasty did YOU prefer?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Poll: Which floating nasty did YOU prefer?

Post by MPK »

Agree with Derby Gem!

Nenenenenenenenenenenene
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Mushroom
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Poll: Which floating nasty did YOU prefer?

Post by Mushroom »

I think it was something that the pookas had about them - a kind of fluidic feel - that made them the most memorable (and eerie) for me. I know they kinda smiled, but a smiling person with a gun is still a person with a gun, if you get my drift...
-Mushroom.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Pookas

Post by SrWilson3S »

Just curious which Pookas you thought were better the Original Devil like ones in series 4 with the earie music or the stupid turnip things with glasses on in series 6 onwards?.

Personally I like the Original devil ones in series 4 :)

On another Note I prefered the original Skulls in series 3 compared to the ones in 4 and 5 and the stormgeists later on.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Re: Pookas

Post by Purgatory »

'the stupid turnip things with glasses on' lol
I can't remember what they looked like..

season 3 skulls where a lot more scary, but didn't sound quite as good.  But season 4 they looked a little to normal.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

cant remember the "glasses" pookas but i wud say the series 4 ones wud be better.

the BEST, however, is the pookas from the 1992 mindscape game. if any1 has seen them - they look alot scarier if only they cud be incorporated into the show.

the old skulls were also best, they had a more "dead and decayed" look about them although pooka's were the best "danger to life force's"
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

http://knightmare.v21hosting.co.uk/series/6/129.jpg  <---- The stupid turnip pookas with glasses on lol.

I swear the original series 4 ones are better.
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

have just seen the pooka in simons quest - it IS the pooka from the game! how cool is that

SERIES 4 POOKA ROCKS!
Steve

Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

LOL Didn't notice how silly they looked  :D
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

have just seen the pooka in simons quest - it IS the pooka from the game! how cool is that

SERIES 4 POOKA ROCKS!

You damn right they look so devilish and that earie music is just perfect.
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

I liked them all. Though the turnips werent scary, but they were funny! ;D
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I think I prefer the original one from series 4, too. The series 6/7 Pooka, whilst being of higher quality, looked disjointed from its environment (no changing of lighting on the Pooka itself and on it's surrounding environment as it travelled through it). If the new series used a semi-transparant Pooka (with eyes that stay focused on the dungeoneer to add tension; I think that would work very well indeed) that cast a slight shadow it would be much more believable. Additionally, the shadow would enable the players and the audience to see how far back the Pooka would be in the room. There was no such shadowing in the original series and as such it made it rather difficult to gauge its position. Series 6/7 Pookas were able to change in scale to show that they were moving to the back but there was still a little ambiguity.
Subject to change.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Mmmm... I disagree.... I prefer the Series 6/7 Pookas to the earlier style.
Sure, the earlier style has its good points, it was definitely scary, but the later style Pookas' sprites could be manipulated, which allowed for different-size Pookas - compare, for example, the Grand Pooka (huge) to the small Pooka in the Level 2 clue room (tiny). It even allowed one to be shoved in a bottle!
The later Pookas were also given their own sort of noise, which was most definitely eerie, and made them unique and distinguished - and really scary!
The later Pookas also moved around more, which made them seem a bit more of a threat than the earlier ones, which tended to actually stay in their own place, as if they'd had second thoughts about killing the dungeoneer!

Basically, Pookas rocked.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

If only they could have used the series 4 pooka design with the series 6/7 technology,then we would have had perfection.
Steve

Werewolf
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Werewolf »

Or at least as close to perfection as you can get without involving Atomic Kitten or Christina Aguilera in some way....
Assassins do it from behind
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I was thinking more along the lines of progressive rock.  ;)

In terms of incidental music/sound effects accompanying the Pookas, my favourite has to be that used during Dickon's quest when he was outside the Crazed Heifer. A Pooka appeared with a very ominous low-pitch drone note.

Regarding the Pookas' variable mobility, one could argue that having a relatively stationary Pooka adds to the uncertainty and tension (a word I'm beginning to think I'm over-using!) because you don't know what it's going to do - rather like a lion just standing and staring. The lack of action is menacing - possibly more menacing than a pursuit.

This leads onto the big question in building tension: is the action itself tenser than the THREAT of action? The answer is the latter. Tension is anticipation. When something actually does happen the tension evaporates (and if the situation is handled correctly, it will be replaced by us jumping out of skins!)
Subject to change.