Religion

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Re: Religion

Post by Pickle123 »

i think she considered it and deliberatly didn't rephrase ;D
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

i think she considered it and deliberatly didn't rephrase ;D
Yes, thank you Pickle ^_^

The innuendo WAS intended, silly person, and I think you were the ONLY one who didn't notice it.

Hehehehee...

Everyone stare at Arcengal to induce a feeling of great discomfort.

Nah love ya really ^.^
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Steady on.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

*holds out arms to steady herself*
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

The Knightmare Beatitudes:

Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of Level One.
Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted by the fact that it's all illusion and their dungeoneer has not really fallen to his death.
Blessed are the meek; for they shall be prompted by Treguard during interaction with other characters.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after conveniently placed fruit; for their knapsacks shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful; for they shall obtain assistance from recently petrified jesters and the grateful fathers of accident-prone sorceresses.
Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see the quest object.
Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall get Sylvester Hands drunk.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for their silly helmets; for now, as the Challenge? voice-over said, you're probably working for them.
Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, in order to get their unintelligent minions to tie you up with magic rope or set the goblins on you.
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad; for great is your reward back in the real world; for you shall have frightknight trophies.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

i think T_B_S has a pattern. with these helpful quotes i give you, see if you can spot it ;D

How about Catacombites?? dungeon, knightmare, and sounding like followers in there
T_B_S response: Steady on!
Everyone stare at Arcengal to induce a feeling of great discomfort.

Nah love ya really ^.^
T_B_S response: Steady on!
Last edited by Pickle123 on 30 May 2003, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Steady on!  ;D
Subject to change.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

evidently mem200 has spotted the pattern aswell ;D

hmmm, i think this religion needs a 1st hymn....*tune from "shine jesus shine"

Shine, quest objects, shine,
fill this dungeon with jobbing actors.
Send forth our dungeoneers, Traguard
and let their be truth.

As we travel into the dungeon,
so our faces are covered by a helm.
advisors guide us true to our objects
pick good clues make us winners not dismissettes
Festus exists, Festus exists!

and let their be truth.

Another team through the corridor of blades
The challenge killing off dungeoneers in spades.
We traverse make it though unto level three
face lord fear, win our spurs, show our chivelry
Festus exists, Festus exists!

and let their be truth.

phew...Anyone feel like carrying on please do so :)
Last edited by Pickle123 on 01 Jun 2003, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

ohhh, please do. i love all that shorta stuff. my mum finds it weird i can listen to arguments against religion without getting angry but some of them are realy good.

i spose thats my scientific side taking over...*goes to join Lord Fears minions*
Yay! Someone else with a scientific side that takes over!

RIGHT!...

Disclaimer: the following text is solely the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to cause offence to individual and/or religious institutions and persuasions. I'm a well-balanced human being. Really!

Let's start with the Bible. It was written approximately 50 years after the death of Jesus (whose existence I neither agree nor disagree with). This is a lot longer than the average lifespan of a person living 2000 years ago. Furthermore, 50 years is a VERY long game of Chinese Whispers. Fill in the gaps, people. :)

Now onto a more scientific grounding. A general trend among religion is that "God" (which I define as That Which Created The Universe) is omnipotent and omniscient (all-powerful and all-knowing). According to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal, it is impossible to know the position and velocity of a particle exactly. The more you know one, the less you know the other. Therefore, the only way that God can be omniscient is if "He" (the very idea of God having a gender is ludicrous when you think about it) actually IS the universe. Consequently, that also makes "Him" omnipotent.

Now, events in the universe can be modelled by mathematics. Therefore, extrapolation (which we are attempting to do by means of something called a Grand Unified Theory) of all these events will yield a complete model of the universe. As a result, the laws that govern the universe are inflexible. Intelligence can be defined as the flexibility to change and adapt. The universe does not do this. The Laws Of Physics haven't changed, have they? Therefore, God is not intelligent.

Combining the fact that God is the universe with the fact that the laws of the universe are inflexible leads me to the conclusion that fate rules supreme. You may think you have control of your life but that is only due to the way the electrons in your brain happen to be arranged at this moment in time. The universe is a wind-up doll. We are part of the universe. Therefore, we have no real freedom of choice. We only think we do.

So, why should there be a Heaven or Hell? All the classic questions spring to mind: (1) If I lose a limb, will it be waiting for me when I get to Heaven, (2) Will my dead pet goldfish be there?

Do you now see how ridiculous it all is?

Illusion and wishful thinking. But then, ignorance is bliss. I wish I had never started thinking about the big questions.

Ah, well! You've got to laugh, haven't you?  ;D
Subject to change.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

What annoys me is fundamentalism. As a Christian, I am infuriated by people who say they're Christians, then start saying that their Christianity is the only way "and I will kill to impose that upon you". Then they say that liberal Christianity is a sin, and that because I don't believe the whole Bible to be literal truth I am "not a proper Christian".
That's why I don't go to church any more. I don't want to be classified as one of those people.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Ok lets stop it right here!! I know im meant to be humourous and light hearted but please - no religious debates - possibly the biggest reason for wars, and i dont want people arguing it on here - its Knightmare! - remember  -  catacombites - sorry, but *Steady On* ;-)
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

i know but as a community of people what brought us together was knightmare but unless we can discuss other things too we'd end up like comptors spewing out facts learnt off by heart from years of re-re-discussing them.

besides this isn't an argument, but a friendly debate.

right then...malefact, this isn't meant to insult your opinions at all. im just taking the opposing viewpoint to see what happens (does that make me argumentative or curious?)
Let's start with the Bible. It was written approximately 50 years after the death of Jesus (whose existence I neither agree nor disagree with). This is a lot longer than the average lifespan of a person living 2000 years ago. Furthermore, 50 years is a VERY long game of Chinese Whispers. Fill in the gaps, people.
for a start The bible was not written as one. it is a library, a collection of books. 73 in total i believe. the majority of these were written before jesus was born (hows that for chinesse wispers ay ;D) and also forms the basis of the jewish faith.
The new testament was written after Jesus' death however the main 4 books (the gospels of matthew, mark, luke and john) were written by men who had lived that long and so chinesse wispers didn't occur. the rest are accounts by other scholars and scribes and so a degree of caution must be observed. however, checked against each other and the gospels, the church has been very careful about which books they except into the bible. there are many accounts which the church has rejected....i believe there is a gospel of thomas which the church doesnt accept but i may be wrong there.

Now onto a more scientific grounding. A general trend among religion is that "God" (which I define as That Which Created The Universe) is omnipotent and omniscient (all-powerful and all-knowing)
im in perfect agreement so far.
According to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal, it is impossible to know the position and velocity of a particle exactly. The more you know one, the less you know the other. Therefore, the only way that God can be omniscient is if "He" (the very idea of God having a gender is ludicrous when you think about it) actually IS the universe. Consequently, that also makes "Him" omnipotent.
well, i have a few things to debate here...one is the heisenberg principal. what you are trying to do is define god in terms of sciences "laws". it is a grave mistake to try and  define somthing in terms of their creation. since we can never create anything as perfect as ourselves. if we could then...in god's case, he ceases to be god as their is a superior being. point is, just because we can't comprehend velocity and position simultainiusly doesn't mean god can't. however, your theory about god being the universe might not be a so far from christian belief as you think. the third belief about god held by christians is that he is omnipresent (everywhere at once).

Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

Now, events in the universe can be modelled by mathematics. Therefore, extrapolation (which we are attempting to do by means of something called a Grand Unified Theory) of all these events will yield a complete model of the universe. As a result, the laws that govern the universe are inflexible. Intelligence can be defined as the flexibility to change and adapt. The universe does not do this. The Laws Of Physics haven't changed, have they? Therefore, God is not intelligent.
the reason i put "laws" in "" marks was because they aren't laws. they are theories. they are presented, then tested repetedly again and again. some of them stand up to it but it only takes ONE exception to disprove a law and as such no "laws" can be proved to be completely true/right yet. as such the "laws of physics" are constantly changing.
now this knocks away your reason for the univere being unchaning, however, it doesn't mean that it definetly is changing either. this GRAND UNIFIED THEOREM is trying to incorperate the universe. if the universe was constantly changing then there would be no point in trying at all.
basicly you say:-
intelligence=changeability=not universe=stoopid god.
whereas i say:-
god=omniscient=no need to change as everything is already known
Combining the fact that God is the universe with the fact that the laws of the universe are inflexible
i believe the "laws" are inflexable but we dont know them yet.
...leads me to the conclusion that fate rules supreme. You may think you have control of your life but that is only due to the way the electrons in your brain happen to be arranged at this moment in time. The universe is a wind-up doll. We are part of the universe. Therefore, we have no real freedom of choice. We only think we do.
well, yes and no. I think that the future strechs out as inevitable as ever BUT we have choice. we have choice now, we have choice in the future, however, we have already made those choices from the moment we are concieved. all we have to learn and think about it why we make or made the choices we did.

So, why should there be a Heaven or Hell? All the classic questions spring to mind: (1) If I lose a limb, will it be waiting for me when I get to Heaven, (2) Will my dead pet goldfish be there?
because we make those choices, we make them for a reason and that will happen. however it is still US who has to give the reason why.
a child who grows up to be a serial killer may not lke the idea but by the time they come to be the serial killer they will have made their choice and understand why. it is not fate that decides your actions, but you. the future is still predestined but it is constantly in your control.
Do you now see how ridiculous it all is?
not really, in an infinite universe everything that can be imagined *must* exist somewhere.

i bet i didnt get what i meant across half as well as id of liked but there we go :P

Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

I emphatically agree about fundamentalism, Pooka (though from a different perspective, being an atheist).

Visit www.chick.com for any number of highly (unintentionally) amusing fundamentalist articles. Particular gems are their attacks on Dungeons & Dragons, especially the comic strip Dark Dungeons.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Ooooof. I leave you chaps alone for a couple of days while I revise for my exam and what do I find? A catchphrase plagiarized and intense theological debate undertaken. Now come on chaps, I mean I shouldn't have to say this but ... steady on.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.