Is it all dead?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
keeds
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Is it all dead?

Post by keeds »

Quite simply, is it all dead?

No news in the past year from Tim Child, a serious
drop-off in discssion on this forum and the chat room on Interactive KM has long since become an irrelevant session held for bots. This website hasn't been updated since November.

Is it worth carrying on, or should we just be happy with the memories?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Is it all dead?

Post by HStorm »

No harm in carrying on, but activity round here has long since spiralled downwards, and there's little to suggest it will pick up again without major news from InterMedialab.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
frakilk
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by frakilk »

It would be a real shame if there wasn't some sort of home for Knightmare on the Web. At the moment Knightmare.com is still the best. Hang in there, imagine how great it would be here if Knightmare was revived in some shape or form 8)
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

The Eye Shield is still being updated every two months, even though the front page hasn't been.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
keeds
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by keeds »

Sorry, have just re-read my post and feel it comes across too strongly.

I do not wish to criticise the efforts of any of those concerned with keeping KM alive (Eyeshield, I still enjoy your fanzine!)

However I do feel that the drop off in activity is a worrying sign...
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Glad to hear it. I only mentioned it because I read your profile and saw your e-mail address and realised you were one of my regulars and wondered whether the lack of frontpage updates may have put you off reading Issues 55 and 56. I'm thankful that my fears were unfounded. 8)
Last edited by Eyeshield on 29 Mar 2009, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

In truth, that slump in activity started about four or five years ago when KMVR was shelved. It was deflating news for a lot of people.

But in the end, at the risk of sounding overly blunt, people who want more activity here will have to be more active themselves, rather than waiting for the 'veterans' (for want of a better term) to lead the way all the time. As Jake says, TES is still very much alive, there's more material on the way from the Audio Play team in the near future, and there are still several seasons of the RPG awaiting release. But these are all big jobs that can't be offered up at the drop of a hat. and so it really does fall to others to keep things going in between times.

Come up with ideas for new threads, search through old threads to see if you can offer new ideas for some of them to revive them, write fanfics, draw pictures, think up puzzles or jokes, and put them up for discussion. The reason activity on here has been so low for the last few years has been precisely because those who used to take the initiative are now feeling lethargic and no longer bother with the forun, and not enough newcomers are prepared to take up the initiative in their stead. Harsh, perhaps, but true.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I've updated the main page of Knightmare.com with a generic message saying TES is still updated.

As I've mentioned on here before, after 10 years of updating this site, things have moved on my end and I'm no-longer have the time to update the site. We've covered so much ground in that time anyway that even if there were updates they would be minimal.

However the site and forum will remain online. As I've said before, if anyone is willing to take over responsibility for the whole site and update/re-design it (ownership will still remain with me) then I'd be happy to hear from you. There have been several offers of help but no-one willing to take over the whole site.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Can I be the first to thank you for keep this website updated for over a decade! Millions, even billions of others can't make that claim and it's grown into easily the internet's best resource for the show by absolute miles. It's a shame that you're moving on but what you've left us with will continue to be loved by absolutely thousands of people, and thank you also for putting up with my picky website corrections which started a never-ending thread!!

I wiah you all the best with your life and may it bring as much happiness to you as this website has to all of us.

On the inactivity issue I sadly have to admit that in the last couple of years, my postings here and my chatroom appearances have divebombed to a handful. It is however worth noting that before late 2002 when the Challenge repeats/KMVR development started, there was a similar lack of busy-ness but not as much as now, but those two things kicked it off into overdrive, leading to possibly the entire community's peak in 2004 when Challenge were showing all 8 series regularly and the KMVR pilot was released!

But then when KMVR was shelved things quietened down a bit, and then when Challenge stopped showing KM in March 2007 that was it really. With hope of a new series mostly faded away, and in my case, having reviewed every single episode of the show ever made, there wasn't really much left. Starting college and getting work also meant I haven't been as madly active as I used to be.

Remember that it's now been 15 years since the show went off the air. When I started posting here in 2000 it was only 6 years - that's the equivalent now to talking about a show from 2003. I know Doctor Who came back after a long absence but that has an even bigger fanbase than us and even that hadn't been off the TV for as long as 15 years! I'm still hopeful it'll return but you have to admit that things aren't as optimistic as they were.

So to cut a perhaps overlong post short, I do wish the community was as exciting and busy as the glory days of five years ago, but there's still things going on - there's the brilliant Eye Shield fanzine I still read all the time and extreme credit to Jake for keeping that going all these years, there's new audio plays in development which are worth a listen, and occasionally we get a few people in the chatroom, like tonight right now!

So although it may seem empty, the community still lives on! Just not as much as it did...
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Is it all dead?

Post by knightmaredave »

For e it is a question of time I have No time at weekends as i am away adn opften dont egt bck till alte sunday adn i am working in school monyda to friday. I will then in summer have no if any net access until i relocate whereever that is. So i would never abandonhere it's just personal reasosn at ther moment. soon it will all be goood tho\:)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

There are a few projects going on which should refresh things.
For a start, the site is currently in the process of getting a complete overhaul.
AlanGrant
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by AlanGrant »

I would be very interested in a film of Knightmare, it would also be the perfect way to launch a new series. Call it a multi-media reboot. A film based on a gameshow, a new gameshow based in the world of the film. Serve the old generations, bring in the new.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Re:Is it all dead?

Post by Drassil »

In my opinion, the current state of the internet Knightmare community can be represented graphically:

Its halcyon days are long gone; and whatever new projects 'hit the stage', a large and appreciative audience cannot be guaranteed; but it's by no means lifeless.
keeds wrote:I do feel that the drop off in activity is a worrying sign...
The key word for me is individuals. They are what make a community, or break one. Ultimately, I would attribute the inactivity of this forum largely to individual after individual reaching a state (perhaps unconsciously) where they have nothing more they want to give to the KM community, and where the KM community has nothing more they want to take. As Dave explains in his post, there are some members who are more willing than they are able, but I believe that for the majority of lapsed posters, it's vice versa. To quote a remark made publicly by a KM fan elsewhere online a few years ago, 'as KMers move into university, start jobs, find love, get married, have kids, etc, they're not gonna have time for a stupid website anymore. In 1999 the average online KM age must have been, ooh, about 16...but as it gets older, real life invades more.' I wouldn't have expressed it so bluntly, but it's along the same lines as my perspective.

In my view: the question, then, is not 'Is it all dead?' but one for individuals to quietly ask themselves: "Is my passion for Knightmare dead?" Followed by: "In that case, what do I want to do about it?"
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

You might be interested to know that according to our forum software, there's been an average of 15.79 posts per day made on the forum since it started in 2002.
I would say that I read an average of two new posts per day now.

So based on that, there's been a significant drop off.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

And if that didn't make you wishful for the good old days.....
I made a very nice chart showing the posts per month over time.
Knightmare forum usage.png
Knightmare forum usage.png (48.46 KiB) Viewed 14396 times