Food for Thought

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Food for Thought

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Does anybody think Km would still be as cool if Mark Knight had played Treguard and Hugo Myatt played Lord Fear? Interesting. Also, say if Myatt or Knight were unable or unwilling to reprise their roles in the new series, who should play them?
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Food for Thought

Post by Malefact »

Unthinkable!  :o

I understand that Tim Child is keen for Hugo Myatt to play Treguard again (he wouldn't have done his avatar graphic otherwise) and he has also been trying to track down Mark Knight. The last I heard he was in America. In his interview, he said he'd play Lord Fear again in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see more of the old faces, along with some new people.

I agree, though, that it would be interesting if the two played the opposite roles. We wouldn't have "ooh, nasty!" though!  :)
Subject to change.
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Yeah, I know it was a particularly odd thing for me to suggest but I just really liked Treguard in the early series when his allegiances were at times ambiguous - you never really fully felt that he was on the side of the Dungeoneer and the advisers. At times, Treguard can be genuinely scary i.e. when he dismisses watchers in early series. I always found Lord Fear a bit too pantomimic - Mark Knight really hams his role up. I don't think he was as good a villain as Mogdred but the whole set-up with Fear was far better i.e. the forces of good v. those of evil, the spyglasses etc.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Indeed. In series 1 he was very serious. In series 2 he was just plain potty! From series 3 to 6 he had that knightly demeanour about him. In 7 and 8 he had sort of become more or less your average guy!

I think the knightly demeanour suits him best. What do you think?

Also, I think Lord Fear would be good for the new series (as long as there was comic relief in the form of Sylvester Hands!) I also think that the series would benefit hugely from a Mogdred-style baddie as well. For example:

Level 1 could present a series of puzzles and traps to get out of.

Level 2 could have more of the same but also give the teams a persistent threat - the Mogdred-baddie could pursue them and they would have to, say, assemble a broken spell to enable them to make it to level 3.

Level 3 should be where Lord Fear starts to directly interfere with a quest. (Btw, I think it's essential to have a series 4-style final conflict and a series 5-style puzzle at the very end with a life force emergency!)

This would give a very wide mix, and would also make each successive level progressively more difficult.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I always found Lord Fear a bit too pantomimic - Mark Knight really hams his role up. I don't think he was as good a villain as Mogdred but the whole set-up with Fear was far better i.e. the forces of good v. those of evil, the spyglasses etc.
You're brave to say that!

It's just my taste, but I prefer villains to be frightening, and so I thought that there were too many Lord Fear comedy moments. It's fine with final encounters and end of season dramas, but he became too much of a comedy character in a lot of the spyglass scenes too, in my opinion. I tohught there was easily enough comedy going on both in the Dungeon and the Antechamber for Fear to have consistently been more... Fearsome.

Personally, I don't think the spyglasses helped matters. Firstly, I thought we saw Fear far too often in these- I'd have liked other characters to have featured more regularly, therefore to keep Fear as a frightening prospect for the lower levels. They also made things a bit too linear and predictable for my liking, as well as taking up a great deal of playing time.

I suppose to hark back to my view about there being two shows by the end: the Game and the Soap Opera. While I liked some of the ongoing storyline elements, I think they did interfere with the Game itself sometimes. I was interested to look back on some of Tim Child's old posts, and find one that stated that the soap opera element of old Knightmare had moved into TimeGate. From this and his other comments on new Knightmare being "simpler" and more akin to Series 3-4, I think we can assume the soap opera elements will feature a lot less. I therefore hope the spyglasses will either be non-existent or used sparingly.  

Incidentally, I wonder whether all these changes will mean Tim Child decides to create a new villain to fit the new dungeon rather than get Mark Knight to recreate Lord Fear. One of his first posts of this forum was a remark that you'd never tempt Lord Fear back from the USA- a simple joke, or an indication that we may have to get used to a new head villain?

Time will undoubtedly tell.

"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Lord Fear terrified me and still does - he is genuinely scary and I think the comedy has somethign to do with it. I'm not being sarcastic - some things really scare me, including a venomous villain with a sense of humour. Gives me the creeps, to be more precise.

On spyglass sequences, they were rather exciting, but I thought it was a bit stupid after like a whole series Lord Fear never realsised that whenever he disclosed his plans out loud a dungeoneer would have the spyglass on him at that exact moment: "Blah blah blah I'm really clever and invincible this is how I shall kill the dungeoneer but WAIT! I'm being watched! (again) I shall kill you right now!"

And so on and so forth.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I personally don't mind about having a soap opera going on in the game - Maldame scheming to steal Marblehead from Lord Fear was a hoot!
Subject to change.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Yes, I have to say I preferred the introduction of the 'plot' later on (even carried over in to the reason why Knightmare ended in the first place, see The Quest). I wonder if they're going to continue with that in the new-style series...
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
dragonfollower
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dragonfollower »

::)yeah recon they should both change parts
dragonfollower
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dragonfollower »

I rekon Smirky would rule the dungeon :o :o :o
whiteknight

Post by whiteknight »

The 'knightly' version of Treguard worked extremely well.  Series 3 quips such as:

'Join us again soon for knightmare.  It's not real of course...at least...I . don't . think . so,' with the enoromous boggly eyes were scary and funny at the same time (a Myatt trademark it would seem).

As for swapping roles, I can't see either of them suiting each other's roles to be honest.  The master of the dungeon was almost created for someone like Hugo and it would seem strange for the viewers to see the person they associated as the dungeon master describing how he is going to kill the latest group of 'kidsies'.  

Must admit though that it might be amusing to swap them for a laugh and see what happened :).
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Like the old Arthur Lowe/John Le Mesurier switch. Now, that would have been strange.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

That would have been odd - I don't think Le Mesurier could have brought the necessary pomposity to Lowe's role.