What would these (Unused) Spells have done?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
MJNSEIFER
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

What would these (Unused) Spells have done?

Post by MJNSEIFER »

I was just wondering what you think the unused spell cast would do. (I may add more later and feel free to ask yours too!)

• Transform
  • But
  • Shovel (Or was it Spade?)
  • Medal
Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:What would these (Unused) Spells have done?

Post by Billy »

TRANSFORM - This actually was used, by Kelly in Series 3. It turned her into a warrior. I presume you mean TRANSFORMATION in Series 4...in which case I imagine that there was no use intended for it, as Mogdred kills them anyway.

BUT - Malefact put forward a good theory on this recently. It's possible Mogdred would have said something like "...but maybe I shall observe your fear a little longer" and leave.

SHOVEL - A giant spade would have probably come down and knocked out Cedric. Similar to ANVIL.

MEDAL - This is an interesting one. Maybe a giant medal would have appeared and shined at Ariadne, scaring her off?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I always thought that SHOVEL would have caused a hole to appear in the ground beneath Cedric's feet; or even beneath the dungeoneer's feet, allowing a short cut to level 3.

TRANSFORMATION probably did similar things to TRANSFORM.

BUT and MEDAL, I really can't imagine.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Criz
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Criz »

BUT(needed one more letter) = Giant troll sits on Cedric ? ;D
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Er, I think that would be Mogdred, not Cedric.
MJNSEIFER
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MJNSEIFER »

Thanks for sugestions so far.
TRANSFORM - This actually was used, by Kelly in Series 3. It turned her into a warrior. I presume you mean TRANSFORMATION in Series 4...in which case I imagine that there was no use intended for it, as Mogdred kills them anyway.
It's TRANSFORMATION then.

It probably does SOMETHING, it just wasn't meant to be used there.
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

Perhaps "SHOVEL" would dig up a wellway to level 3?
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Also, series 5's GHOST and SWITCH spells. I reckon GHOST would have done a similar thing to the one in s3. SWITCH (as opposed to CHANGE, which that team wrongly chose - probably not realising it related to the scroll's message of "fair trade is no robbery") is anyone's guess.
Subject to change.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

This is one of my favourite areas of interest. I have written a Lexicon entry on spells that weren't cast.
BillyH wrote:BUT - Malefact put forward a good theory on this recently. It's possible Mogdred would have said something like "...but maybe I shall observe your fear a little longer" and leave.
It's by no means a new theory. I myself proffered it on the forum in November 2003, and I doubt I was the first. Perhaps TRANSFORMATION would have transformed the dungeoneer into a form that was immune to Mogdred's attack, such as an even bigger floating sword than the one coming to get her!

SHOVEL:
I believe that when Bumptious gave the dungeoneer the spell, he said that it was 'not for digging with'. That suggests to me that SHOVEL would have had an offensive ANVIL-type effect on Cedric, as Billy has said.
Malefact wrote:I reckon GHOST would have done a similar thing to the one in s3.
A spell of that nature might have allowed the dungeoneer to get through the Corridor of Blades unscathed. However, she didn't. Maybe they were supposed to use GHOST to intimidate Hordriss later in the level and gain favour with him (like SWORD did in Series 3), for we know from Series 4 that he was uncomfortable about Level 3 hauntings.

SWITCH and CHANGE:
You often get 'change' as a result of a fair trade - I never thought of the clue scroll in that way. The whole goblin transformation 'subplot' seems too unique and detailed for it to have been merely a 50-50 possibility; and a scene where a dungeoneer enters a Level 2 room, casts SWITCH to de-ice a firestone, picks it up then walks out, seems too straightforward; so perhaps both SWITCH and CHANGE would have had the same adverse effect. Or maybe the team should have insisted on the 'fair trade' of getting both spells.

MEDAL:
I've not seen the episode where this spell is mentioned. MEDDLE might be easier to speculate about.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

MEDAL: Perhaps a self-absorbed character would like one?
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
natnut
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by natnut »

i reckon the medal spell could have been like the arken spell of series 7! a holding spell! either that or some kind of warrior!

But....well i think that But was given away in a clue by Hordriss, he said one spell is very powerful and the other quite humble. The team took the long spell as being teh powerful one! It could have been a giant goat coming to BUTT him out of the way! lol
"Remember, play fair, or fear play foul, the game resumes on the witching hour."
natnut
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by natnut »

Also does anyone have an idea which spell would have been spelt out in series 6 by the team who didnt use the darkness powder,missed one letter then got blocked off the trial by spikes by the troll?
"Remember, play fair, or fear play foul, the game resumes on the witching hour."
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

natnut wrote:But....well i think that But was given away in a clue by Hordriss, he said one spell is very powerful and the other quite humble. The team took the long spell as being teh powerful one!
Ah, but TRANSFORMATION was the powerful one, Hordriss was very specific about it. His exact words were; -

"One is most powerful and is called TRANSFORMATION. The other is quite humble and is called BUT."
natnut
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by natnut »

yes that is true but they were wrong though! they needed BUT to get past mogdred! To be honest if you were about to get killed you wouldnt try casting a spell that is 14 letters long! lol
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Personally, I sympathise with the team in their error. If I had Mogdred 'in person' bearing down on my dungeoneer, I doubt that in my panic-stricken state I'd have opted for the spell which I'd been told (by someone of high authority) was 'humble', even if time were a factor. The spell choice facing Dickon's team a few quests later - FIRE or OPPOSITE against Malice - was arguably more straightforward.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.