Spell-Casting

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Spell-Casting

Post by TheBrollachan »

Can spells or dis-spells be used more than once? The early spells such as S-W-O-R-D were used more than once by one team if I remember correctly. Yet in later series it would appear that once a spell is cast it cannot be recast.

Anyone got a favourite spell?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Spell-Casting

Post by HStorm »

Any spell, once cast, can be dispelt.

Spells are never destroyed once cast or dismissed however. What happens is that a dungeoneer is given a single use of a spell, but the person who gave them that use can still cast the spell for themselves as well. That's why the same spell may resurface from time to time e.g. ENERGY, ANVIL, FIRE.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Would it be fair to assume that the early basic spells were created by Merlin. Then with the arrival of Lord Fear came new spells. Then with new techno-magic came more advanced spells.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Well you can assume that if you like, but I doubt it. For one thing in Merlin's time there were numerous other wizards around like Mogdred, Hordriss, the elf-king etc.

I wouldn't say spells like FLOAT were any more sophisticated than, say, TRANSFORM.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

All about Splash!

"Oh, most amusing..."
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
simiano
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by simiano »

i cast a spell in the knewbie forun check out its another km fan btw my fave spell was dance
why do we let these kids mess up our clean and tidy dungeon
Visage
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Visage »

Certainly it seemed that normally you could cast a spell once and once only...

However, dispelling was a bit different...

Two cases from Series 3...

1. The team that first reached level 3 dispelled SWORD a grand total of three times, once the one that they had been given, then twice to dispell Mogdred's magical sword...

2. The second team to reach level 3 managed to dispell Mogdred's TOAD spell on McGrew without ever having possesed the spell or even having heard it spelled out...

So....

I propose that any dungeoneer who has seen a spell cast and knows (or can guess) its name can also dispell it, but that this isn't common knowledge or usually the spell attacks too quickly for them to dispell....

Hmmmm....

Oh, and for the record, my favourite spell is definitely FILLET, as being the only spell to my knowledge that had to be made from ingredients like good old fashioned magic... I suppose the more complicated the concept the harder the spell to make...
What is real?
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

I think if i went in there i'd spell cast:

LetMeWinNow

reckon it would work? or just try glory!! lol (and hope)

Slightly off tangent, but if dungeypersons had watched past series' in depth couldn't they call out Malefact/Gwen/Barry(!!) three times immediately??
Visage
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Visage »

I'm certain they could, and all but Barry might get a response...

But....

Just because you've called them doesn't indicate that they need to help, most calling names were given out in return for favours, after all, Maldame made it very clear that summoned wizards didn't need to be friendly:

'If you call on me, I shall shrivel you like a dried toad's skin! HA!!!'

Charming woman....
What is real?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

In which case, how come both Lord Fear and Julie were able to summon Greystagg by calling Gwen three times, even though she never gave either of them permission? ;D
Visage
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Visage »

Well I never said that they needed permission, only that the person summoned might not be too willing to help them win the dungeon like WW was suggesting....

I'm surprised if Greystagg helped them, not having ever seen her episodes as that series is waiting taped at home for my later delectation!
What is real?
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Ah, but Hordriss and Greystagg have said themselves - anything to annoy/defeat Lord Fear!! Ok, crap tv, but still...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Favourite Spells

Post by Drassil »

The Brollachan wrote: Anyone got a favourite spell?
One of my favourite spells is TOAD from Series 3. The scene around it, in which Mogdred (probably Mogdred ;)) turns McGrew into a toad for offending him, struck me as scary, creepy and funny when I first saw it as a child. It was satisfying, too, to see the team swiftly overcome the predicament by dispelling the magic and returning their comrade to human form.

Another of my favourites is a rather more obvious choice: DISMISS!

So, what are your favourite - and/or least favourite - Knightmare spells? I look forward to reading any choices you wish to share. For a near-complete list of Knightmare spells, with more details available for each one, see http://interactive.knightmare.org.uk/le ... ory/Spells
Last edited by Drassil on 03 Jan 2008, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Favourite Spells

Post by HStorm »

I quite liked AVAUNT when I first saw it in action, because it looked like a laser bolt "blowin' da muvva away!!" I didn't realise at the time what 'avaunt' actually meant, and that it was really just sending the ghost elsewhere.

WEB was fun too because it was quick, simple and effective (and Cedric's frustrated sobs were quite satisfying).
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Favourite Spells

Post by Fidjit »

Hear, hear to AVAUNT. Until it came up on YouTube I never saw it in action, as you say Martin its a really great way to dispose of a cavern wraith

Mine would probably have to be SWORD. If the work mates give me grief, cast one of these and send it out after them... Watch 'em run for the hills! ;D

Or perhaps even a SPLASH spell! We work right next to the River Medina! ;D;D

It would be fun to possess the spells FIRE and FREEZE

Why not create a spell? Like SNEEZE, UNDO, or REVERSE? Explain how it works and all that...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/