Re:Sounds of Knightmare

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Sounds of Knightmare

Post by TheBrollachan »

I was wondering whether or not the backing / atmoshere music was ever released onto CD. Watching S7 I cannot help noticing how the music adds to the tension of what is going on.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Nope, none of the music has ever been released. A lot of music used on KM was a stock music, indeed I believe the London Dungeons used the Crazed Heiffer music from S4, I had thought this for a while, Drassil confirmed it for me the other day.
Last edited by Kieran on 20 May 2004, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Rather, it was one of the rooms in the Tower Of London. Quite a surprise coming across it like that!
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Tower Of London it is then! It used to be a dungeon anyway...
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

i can understand them not putting out a cd soundtrack but they could put them on the net for download like most tv themes/music.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Or you could arrange them yourself by sticking together all the bits where there's no speech or sound effects. I've tried this with the suspense music from Series 7, but I'm still missing a few 'clean' samples of segments from the music.

Alternatively, record the Knightmare episode soundtrack onto your computer in stereo (it must be stereo), then use a Vocal Remover program. This basically mutes everything that's dead center in the soundtrack (usually just speech), leaving most of the music!
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Do you guys think the mustic from the later series was better than that of the earlier ones?
zzt
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by zzt »

Myself, I'd like to hear a clean version of the 'danger' music from Series 8 (e.g. the music in the Corridor of Blades)
That zzt is an american!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The incidental music in the later seasons was better, but the earlier seasons were far scarier and therefore the music didn't need the same effort.

I always found the incidental music in the later seasons patronising (it was almost like it was an instruction saying, "You vill be scared now!") and even a bit of a giveaway, as it frequently let you know when a death was imminent.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I liked the Crazed Heffer music, thought it was quite fitting.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

HStorm the whole idea of a score is to guide you through,

Have you tried watching a movie with out a score?
last one i watched was Faust.. it become very difficult to watch, plus it left you asking your self. 'what do i feel? and what should i feel' to a particular scene
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Kieran wrote: Tower Of London it is then! It used to be a dungeon anyway...
err... the tower of london, and the london dungeons are diffrent places
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Mephisto wrote: HStorm the whole idea of a score is to guide you through
Mephisto, I'm well aware of what a music score is there for, thank you very much. What I''m saying is that we don't NEED guiding with Knightmare. Whatever else it was, it was hardly a complex series to interpret. The earlier seasons were way scarier than the later ones, and they managed that with hardly used any incidental music at all. As far as I'm concerned the lashings of music added to later seasons were just a superficial attempt to compensate for how easy and undramatic the game was becoming.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

HStorm i wouldn't quite go to that extreme!! :) For sure the later series weren't as hard (not saying they were easy, just the riddles in 1-3 were probably the biggest part of it, and i for one was happy when the importance went!), but the music didn't make up for this. It merely added to the experience of watching it. I'd probably have prefered the earlier series' to S6 if it had the music and lack of riddles (to this day the team in S3 who died because of getting ONE riddle wrong bugs me).

On a different note, anyone know of a free vocal remover? Failing that the names of any?? I want to make some instrumentals of songs!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Taking riddles out of Knightmare was a huge mistake as it made the series more linear than ever. With so little to differentiate between teams, especially on Level 1, there was far too much "going through the motions" in the later seasons.

I don't even notice the absence of the music watching the earlier seasons, whereas I DO notice its inclusion in the later ones... when it gets up my nose.