Great Knightmare Mysteries

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Mysteries ReVisited

Post by Fidjit »

In Series 8 you can carry two objects, at a time in the knapsack... How does that work if you have the reach wand too?
Last edited by Anonymous on 31 Oct 2004, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Mysteries ReVisited

Post by Thanatos »

Remember, magic objects often didn't count (cf. Series 4's 'Etruscan brandy').
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Skeletor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Skeletor »

What happened to the characters in the dungeon after the first phase shift (they all seemed to become extinct except Merlin and Mogdred....oh and Olaf!)
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Probably kept safe by magic.

OR

Phaseshifts from 1-3 weren't all that great (they were good I just mean't that they didn't change the dungeon too much) so they didn't get wiped out by the new changes and the ones that wanted out got out.
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

I remember aaaaages ago I was jobless and passing time by attempting to write a kind of thesis on the Knightmare universe's nature (which sadly got lost when my computer died). I noted that in early series, the Dungeon was described as constantly growing and shifting - a dynamic universe compared to our static one. I came up with the theory that the first few seasons saw the Dungeon as a very small infant universe that grew somewhat each phaseshift. It also collided with and absorbed into itself other realms, such as the Elven realm that it merged with during season 3. I ended up theorising that in its early phaseshifts it went through a kind of adolescent growth spurt, which resulted in violent changes as it destroyed and rebuilt itself - characters went through this too, sometimes completely changing (eg. Folly into Motley, Gretel into Mellisandre), sometimes staying the same and sometimes fading away. Later, the Dungeon dimension became larger and more stable, an adult dimension if you like.

I also came up with one alternate theory - Lord Fear's technomantic interference with the fabric of the universe may have changed the very nature of Knightmare, causing the phaseshifts to cease. This stopped the violent cycle of destruction and rebirth, but as Treguard noted may have disasterous yet-to-be-seen consequences.

Right, that turned into a bit of a ramble. I'll shut up now! :)
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Skeletor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Skeletor »

Where was Lord Fear for Series 1-4? Was he always behind the scenes? I'm sure Fatilla makes reference to "Old boney helmet" or something along those lines in Series 4.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

No doubt Skeletor was called 'old bony-face' by He-Man a few times... ;)

I like trying to solve mysteries of Knightmare. Questions I've suggested answers to in my fanfics include:

How did Mellisandre get free when Ross failed to rescue her in Series 3?
How many Little Scaramongers were there?
What was the situation with the Dunswater Boatman?
Who was Young Grimwold, seen briefly in Series 6?
What was Gundrada's 'endless quest', as referred to by Merlin in Series 4?
And more, with the answers revealed in twists in the tales...

Not that my theories are any more valid than anyone else's - it's just fun to have a go at solving mysteries. And you don't need a van and a talking dog to do it... ;D
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

If someone had collected a quest item, why does it go back into the dungeon a season later??
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

Why do that team of girls in series 6 pledge to retrieve the crown when it's just been retrieved by the previous team? Why didn't Treguard say anything? Is Treguard secretly working with Lord Fear? Does anyone care? Is Pickle really a member of the KGB? What the hell am I on about? The answer to all these? No-one knows!
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

What would happed if you went through the dorr in the wellway room?
How would a wallmonster eat a dungeoneer and since they don't get to eat much of them what do they eat?
Where do the KM characters eat and sleep?
Why was the reflector only needed twice to find elf paths?
What would happen if a dungeoneer walked to the end of the corridor of the catacomb and turned right or left?
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Going to the reflector bit, why did they need it when they trod in every other dungeoneers footstep!!! They're movements are very much all the same! ;D
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Pity why you weren't either! >:(
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

Exactly how many dungeoneers have trod the path? Treguard is meant to have conquered the dungeon (according to the books). And in series three, by which time there had been roughly 20 quests, Mogdred says "defy me and you will fail - like hundreds before you".

The only conclusion must be that many more dungeoneers have undertaken quests. Which means there have been MANY more (imaginary) phases of Knightmare prior to series one. What I wouldn't give to see those.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

Well, while Treguard said he was the only one to conquer the Dungeon and Mogdred said "hundreds before you", they didn't have to mean Earth Dungeoneers. Maybe other dimensions other than our own interact with the Dungeon - children from many worlds may take part in the Greater Game. Who knows...?

My personal biggest mystery - Season 4, Malice says she knows the Dungeoneer's details because she got them from Merlin, with whom she was "tolerably well acquainted". I found that rather interesting. Merlin, the representation of all that is good in the Dungeon, is on good terms with a Dark Sorceress? What was going on there..?

Oh, and just what would the BUT spell have done???
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

The Fire Cavern in Series 3 includes a pile of bones with a horned helmet, and Treguard hints that the floating skull in the chamber is the ghost of an adventurer. Similarly, in the dwarf tunnel in Series 6, there's a skeleton on the wall, with a horned helmet. This would seem to confirm the above theory that there are quests which go on when the Watchers aren't watching.

The 'humble' BUT spell is one of many uncast spells given out on Knightmare. Others include TINY, FLIGHT, TRANSFORMATION, GLORY, HERO, TREAT and BACKFIRE.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.